Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VII: The Fan-base Awakens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »
    So who do Leinster have for the Dragons game?

Dooley
    Tracey
    Bent?
    Molony
    Denton
    Ryan
    ?(Hopefully VdF back)
    Murphy
    McGrath
    (Hopefully Madigan but probably Marsh)
    Te'o
    Ringrose
    Kirchner
    ?
    ?

Denton is out injured for a few weeks. Apparently they only had 15-20 guys training yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is Leavy injured?

• Administrators Posts: 53,361 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Step forward Fannarooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sam Warburton pretty much plays rugby full-time for Wales; pretty much misses every club game through injury. I'd like to see Sexton moved to a similar protocol tbh. Certainly between now and the end of the season there is no reason for him to be risked in a competitive fixture. Give Jackson the 6 Nations and Madigan the task of steering us home in the Pro 12.

You get one brain and neurons don't grow back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Gutted about Moore leaving. I'd love to know what actually happened.

And losing Isa just now is a bummer too.

With all the injuries, anyone travelling to the Dragons game should bring their boots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

awec wrote: »
    Step forward Fannarooney.

Careful on old liberalisms with nameplay! Some mods here have issues with what is a style, think you are trying to suggest that you are chummy with the players, and will call it txt speak to find a breach of the charter for you.

Anyway, yes, The Fanje should be back in the mix I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Careful on old liberalisms with nameplay! Some mods here have issues with what is a style, think you are trying to suggest that you are chummy with the players, and will call it txt speak to find a breach of the charter for you.

Anyway, yes, The Fanje should be back in the mix I think.

No mods have issue with style, just not everyone has style, that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »

OWNED.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The prospect of paying in the region of £250,000 (€328,000) compensation to Wasps in light of Marty Moore having signed a heads of agreement with the Premiership club left Leinster with little option but to reluctantly give up on their attempts to keep the 24-year-old tight-head.
    After several weeks of negotiations with Leinster, who followed up a one-year offer with a reduced two-year contract, Moore decided to accept the three-year deal on the table from Wasps
    --
    Aside from being financially more lucrative, one of the main attractions of the move for Moore, who has won over 50 caps for Leinster and ten for Ireland, was the prospect of being coached by the Wasps director of rugby Dai Young.

Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

.ak wrote: »

But you had style before it was in style of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The prospect of paying in the region of £250,000 (€328,000) compensation to Wasps in light of Marty Moore having signed a heads of agreement with the Premiership club left Leinster with little option but to reluctantly give up on their attempts to keep the 24-year-old tight-head.
    After several weeks of negotiations with Leinster, who followed up a one-year offer with a reduced two-year contract, Moore decided to accept the three-year deal on the table from Wasps
    --
    Aside from being financially more lucrative, one of the main attractions of the move for Moore, who has won over 50 caps for Leinster and ten for Ireland, was the prospect of being coached by the Wasps director of rugby Dai Young.

Hmmm
    It seems ludicrous that Leinster would offer a 24 year old prop a one year contract. You'd have to wonder what the state of the finances are if they're trying to cut corners like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think this is the full list of players unavailable to Leinster this weekend.

1 Heaslip
    2 O'Brien
    3 Ruddock
    4 Van Der Flier
    5 Conan Injured
    6 McCarthy
    7 Toner
    8 Denton Injured
    9 Triggs
    10 Kearney Injured
    11 Thornbury Injured
    12 Cian Healy Injured
    13 Mike Ross Injured
    14 Marty Moore Injured
    15 Royce Burke Flynn Injured
    16 Tadgh Furlong
    17 Ed Byrne Injured
    18 Jack McGrath
    19 Cronin
    20 Strauss

21 Reddan
    22 Sexton Injured
    23 Madigan
    24 Byrne Injured
    25 Isa Injured
    26 Dkearney
    27 Rkearney
    28 O'Shea Injured
    29 Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It's my understanding that Marty Moore has been on consecutive one year deals until now at his own request. Leinster offered him a 2 year deal for next season and Wasps offered him a 3 year deal. Given his recent injury profile and the Ross and Furlong deals Leinster/IRFU were probably being prudent and also perhaps they not expecting him to leave or be offered a 3 year deal.

Either way, he is gone now.

Irish Rugby has to balance the books, Wasps dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

stephen_n wrote: »
    But you had style before it was in style of course.

Now you're catching on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Winters wrote: »
    It's my understanding that Marty Moore has been on consecutive one year deals until now at his own request. Leinster offered him a 2 year deal for next season and Wasps offered him a 3 year deal. Given his recent injury profile and the Ross and Furlong deals Leinster/IRFU were probably being prudent and also perhaps they not expecting him to leave or be offered a 3 year deal.

Either way, he is gone now.

He requested a one year contract to improve his negotiation position for the next round of discussions. I very much doubt it was his long-term intention to stay on rolling one year contracts.

It is odd that the IRFU opened with one year, then moved on to a 'reduced' two year. I don't know exactly what a 'reduced' contract is but I assume its less than 24 months. That being the case, its not hard to see why Moore took the 3 year deal with Wasps.

Also, even if the IRFU ultimately decided to let Moore go, it should never have gotten to the stage where this was being considered after heads of agreement were signed. Usually I give the IRFU the benefit of the doubt in these things but this ones seems like a total blunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sangre wrote: »
    Also, even if the IRFU ultimately decided to let Moore go, it should never have gotten to the stage where this was being considered after heads of agreement were signed. Usually I give the IRFU the benefit of the doubt in these things but this ones seems like a total blunder.

To make things worse, Niall Woods is Marty Moore's agent. He has worked closely with the IRFU in the past. He was head of IRUPA for a long time. He is well known to the people on our side of the table and has a long history of working closely with the iRFU. IE, it's not like it was Fintan Drury.

People love to blame everyone but the IRFU, and they want to blame English clubs and money etc etc. But if it was a fact that the IRFU could not afford to keep Marty Moore then why would he have wanted out of the contract? If it was the case that the IRFU simply can't compete then why was his head turned at the last minute? Why wasn't that appeal made to him before he signed? It's just too easy to blame the foreigners, the whole thing looks very bad for either Leinster or the IRFU, only they'll know where it all broke down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Sangre wrote: »
    It is odd that the IRFU opened with one year, then moved on to a 'reduced' two year. I don't know exactly what a 'reduced' contract is but I assume its less than 24 months. That being the case, its not hard to see why Moore took the 3 year deal with Wasps.
    I took 'reduced' to mean that the amount on offer per year was reduced over two years. So (say) 150k for one year but 275k for two.

In all this discussion, it's Leinster who are being named as the negotiators. As far as I know, the IRFU only get involved if there's a central contract or the province need a hand out to pay an increased amount to match an overseas offer.

From what I'm reading, the IRFU were late to the table because Leinster were late calling for help. Too late as it turns out.

Winters wrote: »

I know IBF isn't a fan of us analysing rugby clubs, particularly premiership clubs, like businesses but Wasps are currently making a massive gamble on the success of Coventry, and they have to start winning games quick if they want it to pay.

Wasps moved from Adam's park in Wycombe (which they didn't own) to the Ricoh Arena in Coventry around this time last year. The Ricoh is a 30k seater stadium with attached hotel and conference facilities that they bought in part with a Loan with Coventry city, and in part with a bank loan. This greatly increased their capacity and the percentage of the earnings they would take from the door. They presumably also now rent to Coventry City football club.

They were hoping this would allow them to diversify the business away from Rugby, I think I posted a business plan here which showed that Rugby was less than 10% of their potential income. They were relying on conferences, the hotel and the odd concert to push up the potential profits.

The risk is that they might just never fill it. I presume the business model relies on filling it for the rugby. So last year they issued a bunch of bonds to raise 7mn pounds in capital to be repaid in about 7 years I think. Using that cash they actually paid off their loan to Conventry city council because it would give them greater flexibility and I presume the rest is being invested in buying the kind of players that might get the turnstyles ticking over.

Because of this they actually have to buy players. Bath and Saracens are buying players to get into debt. Their stadiums can't get any bigger, so they have no way to actually capitalise on increased performance. They're not gambling, they're just throwing money away for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I took 'reduced' to mean that the amount on offer per year was reduced over two years. So (say) 150k for one year but 275k for two.

In all this discussion, it's Leinster who are being named as the negotiators. As far as I know, the IRFU only get involved if there's a central contract or the province need a hand out to pay an increased amount to match an overseas offer.

From what I'm reading, the IRFU were late to the table because Leinster were late calling for help. Too late as it turns out.

Nah, that's not really plausible. That Nucifora and Schmidt just said to Leinster, "here lads, let us know how you get on with Marty Moore there, will ya?" - no, the IRFU would have been fully informed every step of the way. If they weren't, then it's absolute criminal negligence by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

errlloyd wrote: »
    Their stadiums can't get any bigger, so they have no way to actually capitalise on increased performance.

The size of their stadium can stay the same so long as their broadcasting deals keep growing and growing.

Wasps have had strong performance since the move to be fair to them. It's gone better than I'd ever thought it would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

errlloyd wrote: »
    I know IBF isn't a fan of us analysing rugby clubs, particularly premiership clubs, like businesses but Wasps are currently making a massive gamble on the success of Coventry, and they have to start winning games quick if they want it to pay.

Wasps moved from Adam's park in Wycombe (which they didn't own) to the Ricoh Arena in Coventry around this time last year. The Ricoh is a 30k seater stadium with attached hotel and conference facilities that they bought in part with a Loan with Coventry city, and in part with a bank loan. This greatly increased their capacity and the percentage of the earnings they would take from the door. They presumably also now rent to Coventry City football club.

They were hoping this would allow them to diversify the business away from Rugby, I think I posted a business plan here which showed that Rugby was less than 10% of their potential income. They were relying on conferences, the hotel and the odd concert to push up the potential profits.

The risk is that they might just never fill it. I presume the business model relies on filling it for the rugby. So last year they issued a bunch of bonds to raise 7mn pounds in capital to be repaid in about 7 years I think. Using that cash they actually paid off their loan to Conventry city council because it would give them greater flexibility and I presume the rest is being invested in buying the kind of players that might get the turnstyles ticking over.

Because of this they actually have to buy players. Bath and Saracens are buying players to get into debt. Their stadiums can't get any bigger, so they have no way to actually capitalise on increased performance. They're not gambling, they're just throwing money away for fun.

Wasps bond raised 35 mil sterling i think, not 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Wasps have a debt of £35m which they can now secure against the arena and it's earnings. Saracens and Bath do not that that luxury.

Off topic, sorry.

aimee1 wrote: »
    Wasps bond raised 35 mil sterling i think, not 7.

Right you are, 35mn, 6.5%, 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

To make things worse, Niall Woods is Marty Moore's agent. He has worked closely with the IRFU in the past. He was head of IRUPA for a long time. He is well known to the people on our side of the table and has a long history of working closely with the iRFU. IE, it's not like it was Fintan Drury.

People love to blame everyone but the IRFU, and they want to blame English clubs and money etc etc. But if it was a fact that the IRFU could not afford to keep Marty Moore then why would he have wanted out of the contract? If it was the case that the IRFU simply can't compete then why was his head turned at the last minute? Why wasn't that appeal made to him before he signed? It's just too easy to blame the foreigners, the whole thing looks very bad for either Leinster or the IRFU, only they'll know where it all broke down.

Rumours of his head being turned are wide of the mark. Schmidt basically told him if he moved he wouldn't play for Ireland again. With that they requested an offer from Leinster (who have to get approval from IRFU on the deal) No improvement on previous deal so off he went. Leinster/IRFu did not / would not match Wasps contract offer when they had a chance before he signed Heads of agreement so fair play to Moore who is a professional sports man who has a short career as a top sports professional. The way Leinster/IRFU are conducting their business needs a big review. If Kirchner can get re-signed after dismall performances for same money as being offered to Marty Moore then something is wrong. Gary Ringrose should get a 5 year deal now and should be extended after 3 years if he continues the way he is waiting a few months before contract expires is not the way to do things in a professional orginisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Schmidt basically told him if he moved he wouldn't play for Ireland again.

Sorry but where are you getting this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Synode wrote: »

Could tell you but then I would have to .............

Could tell you but then I would have to .............

9780275937652.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭scott1974

I think it's referring to Nucifora :

Nucifora has previously admitted “straight away the players that go leave themselves at a disadvantage” over the thorny issue of Ireland stars opting to move abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

scott1974 wrote: »
    I think it's referring to Nucifora :

Nucifora has previously admitted “straight away the players that go leave themselves at a disadvantage” over the thorny issue of Ireland stars opting to move abroad.

That's a bit different than
    Schmidt basically told him if he moved he wouldn't play for Ireland again.

If someone is the best in their position, they'll play for Ireland no matter where they play their club rugby. If it's a 50/50 call I can see the Irish based player being given preference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭scott1974

That's a bit different than

If someone is the best in their position, they'll play for Ireland no matter where they play their club rugby. If it's a 50/50 call I can see the Irish based player being given preference

Well, Furlong's your man so....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement