Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which health insurance for ex NHS user?

• 12-08-2015 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭magnus500

I'm from the UK and not used to having health insurance. I'm a bit confused by all the offers and just wondering which is best for me.

I am 36 yo male with no previous hospital admittance or serious health issues. I very rarely go to the doctor and am generally in excellent health. The reason I am asking is I suspect I may have testicular cancer but do not want to get a diagnosis without health insurance in place as it would then be a pre-existing condition and with some of the policies this seems to then not be covered.

I am currently using a Saturday health fund cash plan so get money back on practitioners anyway, should I just stick with this (it is the €56pm plan) or get health insurance? I also have a 2 yo daughter and partner, both with no existing conditions and in good health.

Thanks for any help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you don't go the doc often, get a policy with little or no day-to-day cover.
    But if you think you've some form of cancer, you might need to vosot the gp more often so day-to-day cover might help.

the hia website lets you compare the policies - most people have a policy with a privte room in public hospital level of cover, this was vhi plan B before the number of plans snowballed.

But most importantly get down to your doc if you think you've cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

magnus500 wrote: »
    I'm from the UK and not used to having health insurance. I'm a bit confused by all the offers and just wondering which is best for me.

I am 36 yo male with no previous hospital admittance or serious health issues. I very rarely go to the doctor and am generally in excellent health. The reason I am asking is I suspect I may have testicular cancer but do not want to get a diagnosis without health insurance in place as it would then be a pre-existing condition and with some of the policies this seems to then not be covered.

I am currently using a Saturday health fund cash plan so get money back on practitioners anyway, should I just stick with this (it is the €56pm plan) or get health insurance? I also have a 2 yo daughter and partner, both with no existing conditions and in good health.

Thanks for any help

"Pre-existing" is not the same as "diagnosed", if you start an insurance policy today and discover a health issue tomorrow, it will be deemed to be a pre-existing condition.

Basically you start a policy today, and (apart from accidents and infections) most everything is a pre-existing condition for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Arya Incalculable Mischief

You can compare policies on hia.ie

Advertisement