Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mirrors Edge: Catalyst

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow Mirrors Edge is class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

One of us......one of us.......

Breaking it out again tonight for the craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ryuji_w wrote: »

Not sure if that will be good or bad. I'm just stoked that it's being made. Didn't think EA would give DICE the backing to make a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Similar link to above but .. more action adventure than original :/

• Advertisement

Not sure if that will be good or bad. I'm just stoked that it's being made. Didn't think EA would give DICE the backing to make a second.

Seconded on both counts!

Open world sounds risky, but if get can pull off the feel of the first one in a big sandbox....random speed runs around the city? Contained, replayable levels in the main story?

Also....it's hard to believe they'll make an open world game without guns....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

"I think we missed completely on the game being too difficult, people keep falling down and the notion of constantly running away wasn't maybe greatly perceived. On top of that there were a bunch of other problems with it, but again we look at what's great with it, we do more of that and we fix the things that were broken."

Prepare for Combat:(

I played through the Original twice and I think I shot 4 or 5 guys between both and maybe disarmed a similar amount, I don't want that to change for the sequal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I'd actually like to see how a kind of Batman:AA/C combat would work, where you are diving around a group of badguys disarming and stunning them just long enough to get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'd actually like to see how a kind of Batman:AA/C combat would work, where you are diving around a group of badguys disarming and stunning them just long enough to get away.

Cant see it working in first person though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Prepare for Combat:(

I played through the Original twice and I think I shot 4 or 5 guys between both and maybe disarmed a similar amount, I don't want that to change for the sequal

yeah constantly running from enemies was brilliant, such an underrated game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I liked running away. Running away sliding under and jumping over obstacles with bullets whizzing past you is much better than ducking in cover before peeking out and firing off a few rounds.

is the dlc on the first one worth buying? always held off on buying it. I have an xbox. On ps3 it was given away free - feckers!

Welp, theres my excitement gone.
    i8rQ1cn.jpg

Thanks EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Thanks EA.
    If only they had listened to the millions of people who went out and bought it on release instead. Oh, wait...

As for Sarkeesian, well she spoke at DICE last year and her influence was supposedly going to be seen in MoH: Warfighter also. Judging by how that turned out I imagine EA are taking her as seriously as most other people. Which is to say they aren't at all.

As for the second image/comment my only hope is that they identify what actually caused most gamer's frustrations, the frequent instances of awkward level design, rather than dramatically altering the non-confrontational free-running nature of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

How simple must she be if she thought jumping and running were difficult? If you were going for time-trials, then I'm sure there's some tricky techniques you could use to get the best time but I can't remember the story mode ever putting you in a position where you couldn't continue due to a jump or wall run etc being to hard.

"I can relate to a lot of fellow female gamers who did not get into this game due to its difficult control scheme."

Why would girls have found the control scheme harder? And what exactly was so difficult about it?!

J. Marston wrote: »
    How simple must she be if she thought jumping and running were difficult? If you were going for time-trials, then I'm sure there's some tricky techniques you could use to get the best time but I can't remember the story mode ever putting you in a position where you couldn't continue due to a jump or wall run etc being to hard.

"I can relate to a lot of fellow female gamers who did not get into this game due to its difficult control scheme."

Why would girls have found the control scheme harder? And what exactly was so difficult about it?!

Trying to do TWO things at once? Madness. Women are clearly notorious at multitasking too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

One, the combat should be removed altogether, except maybe for smacking the odd enemy in the face. Surely the point of a free-running heroine is that she evades combat, not engages in it.

Two, open world? I'd prefer tight linear levels and a good story (honestly, open worlds and stories seldom complement each other) to yet another baggy, banal sandbox.

Sarkeesian realised Mirrors Edge existence completely destroys her argument about strong female protaganists so she had to find something else wrong with it and effectively called herself and every other female gamer out there stupid in doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Trying to do TWO things at once? Madness. Women are clearly notorious at multitasking too :P
    I'm a PC gamer. I have had a number of consoles in the past and the only I still have/use is an xbox. I rarely use xbox as I find the controls awkward, I always get jumping and action buttons mixed up. I'm a PC gamer at heart.

Anywho, I loved Mirror's Edge. So much so that I have it for xbox and Steam (damn sales!). I played both simultaneously, in fact, it was easier on console. She certainly doesn't speak for me and I am a terrible gamer.

I got into the game because of the graphics (and colour scheme), atmosphere and the fresh take it took. To be honest, there's not much to the game, mainly a lot of leaping and rolling, not to mention the odd grabbing.

wyrn wrote: »
    I'm a PC gamer. I have had a number of consoles in the past and the only I still have/use is an xbox. I rarely use xbox as I find the controls awkward, I always get jumping and action buttons mixed up. I'm a PC gamer at heart.

Anywho, I loved Mirror's Edge. So much so that I have it for xbox and Steam (damn sales!). I played both simultaneously, in fact, it was easier on console. She certainly doesn't speak for me and I am a terrible gamer.

I got into the game because of the graphics (and colour scheme), atmosphere and the fresh take it took. To be honest, there's not much to the game, mainly a lot of leaping and rolling, not to mention the odd grabbing.

Merp. Im being sarcastic. The game is straightforward. I always thought the control system was very simplistic, thats part of the reason i loved it. Sarkeesian, to me, symbolises everything that is wrong in gaming and journalism and feminism all rolled into one quite irritating bundle.

• Advertisement

Timmy, I knew you were being sarcastic! :)

I was trying to make the point, that even though I'm useless at gaming, especially console gaming (despite decades of practice) - I still managed not to get confused.

Timmy, I knew you were being sarcastic! :)

I was trying to make the point, that even though I'm useless at gaming, especially console gaming (despite decades of practice) - I still managed not to get confused.

Oh. Okay :P I misread your comment. Im half rewatching Sarkessians videos again just to annoy myself here, probably has me confused :pac:

Ok Mirrors Edge is on my Steam Sale list....
    I've been meaning to get a copy since the other one moved out a few years ago.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Oh. Okay :P I misread your comment. Im half rewatching Sarkessians videos again just to annoy myself here, probably has me confused :pac:
    No worries, I didn't make myself clear. Listening to Liveline is killing a few cells and it just goes to show that I can't multitask!

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more peeved I get by her comments. I'm a feminist but I don't consider myself a girl gamer - just a gamer. There should be no special concessions or excuses for women and the lack of gaming or interest in a certain game.

I'm actually banging my head against a wall here. The controls in Mirror's Edge are not difficult.

The 'combat' however, is clunky and unnecessary. It clashes with the flowing free-running aspect of the game.

Naturally, the solution is MORE FIGHTS OPEN WORLD DUMB IT DOWN.

I've been looking forward to this game since I completed Mirror's Edge all those years ago. ;_;

Anyways....we'll see how it progresses.

No worries, I didn't make myself clear. Listening to Liveline is killing a few cells and it just goes to show that I can't multitask!

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more peeved I get by her comments. I'm a feminist but I don't consider myself a girl gamer - just a gamer. There should be no special concessions or excuses for women and the lack of gaming or interest in a certain game.

Couldnt agree more. I don't go around posting on forums saying "Im a male and I'm a gamer." Its stupid and its that attitude which she claims she is against, happens to be the exact thing she is forwarding with her constant introduction of gender to any topic. Tbh it is obvious the number of male/female protaganists is top heavy and the portrayal of women in Video games in the past has always been rather submissive but one way or another devs need to appeal to their market and for a large stage that was predominately male. Recently its more even though and in RPGs its a non issue with create-able characters etc etc. Anyways back on topic. I must go buy mirrors edge again :pac:
    ConFurioso wrote: »
    I'm actually banging my head against a wall here. The controls in Mirror's Edge are not difficult.

The 'combat' however, is clunky and unnecessary. It clashes with the flowing free-running aspect of the game.

Naturally, the solution is MORE FIGHTS OPEN WORLD DUMB IT DOWN.

I've been looking forward to this game since I completed Mirror's Edge all those years ago. ;_;

Anyways....we'll see how it progresses.

It might not be awful. If they could tune the combat to be more streamlined and fluid. If it was like glancing blows etc as you continue moving, maybe to stun and escape it wouldnt be awful. If it ends up killing the flow of the free running its a poor idea.

The faster Anita Sarkeesian is ignored the better for gaming. I do believe that the subject she covers is interesting and worthy of discussion, I just wish someone with a bit more insight was doing it. Sarkessian's videos on the subject so far have been nothing more than her stating the obvious in a condescending and aggressive manner. Her presentation of the topic is obviously geared toward enraging and pissing off as many people as possible.

The she thinks the developers of Mirrors Edge 2 should make the game easier says all you need to know about her being a serious gamer.

The faster Anita Sarkeesian is ignored the better for gaming. I do believe that the subject she covers is interesting and worthy of discussion, I just wish someone with a bit more insight was doing it. Sarkessian's videos on the subject so far have been nothing more than her stating the obvious in a condescending and aggressive manner. Her presentation of the topic is obviously geared toward enraging and pissing off as many people as possible.

The she thinks the developers of Mirrors Edge 2 should make the game easier says all you need to know about her being a serious gamer.

Her videos are ****ing garbage, also its great and all pointing out a problem but if you really want people to care maybe come up with a solution and then maybe you know... act on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Does anyone actually have a source for that Sarkeesian quote? And not a screen grab from 4chan. It sounds like the kind of thing that has either been taken out of context, or even entirely made-up/

• Advertisement

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Does anyone actually have a source for that Sarkeesian quote? And not a screen grab from 4chan. It sounds like the kind of thing that has either been taken out of context, or even entirely made-up/

True everything i find seems to come back to that 4chan post, however it does sound exactly like her

Advertisement