Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Go Forward in Reverse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

This morning:

Sore legs from yesterday so never really got going. 5km in 24.27. We'll call it a recovery run.

Tonight:

5km in 23.13. Much stronger run than it sounds. Got got out in a flipping hailstorm. Painful! And windy as hell.

An hour later on the couch in hoody and tracksuit bottoms after a nice curry and im still cold!

Today:

6.15k. About 1k warm up, 4k hill sprints, 1k home. Total time 43.48 (includes breaks at top of hill after each sprint, 6 in total). Facked now

This morning.

1km warm up.

5 laps of soccer pitch, jogging length, sprinting width.

*2 minute rest*

Another 5 laps of same.

*5 minute rest*

Another 5 laps

1km jog home.

Total distance 7.26 km. Total time 40.45.

Race PBs since I started this log:

18/03/2012 5k MSB St Patricks Day, 22.14
    15/04/2011 Great Ireland Run, 54.57
    21/06/2011 Docklands 8km Fun Run, 37.21
    17/09/2011 National Lottery Half Marathon 1hr.48
    31/10/2011 Dublin City Marathon 4hr:38.

The ten k has been beaten regularly in training but im going with race pbs for now. Im signed up for the great Ireland Run next weekend and it would be nice to get a good pb in that. under 48mins would be the target.

The Marathon is a painful memory but at least its a soft target. Although it'll be another couple of years before i go for round 2!

In the next couple of months, I'd like to concentrate on 5k-10k distances, building up some speed. Did more than enough plodding about over the past year or so. Time for an injection of pace.

With that in mind - target Pbs for 2012.

5km sub 20.00
    10km sub 45.00

• Advertisement

This morning:

The plan - 10km in 50 minutes or so.

The reality - 5km in 24.57.

Feeling tired from the start and never got into it. My backside and hamstrings were tight and heavy. Presume they're groaning due to the sprints ive started doing.

Dissapointing run really.

Aggghh, had a post typed and it dissappeared!

No running today. Tighty mac tighterson type legs. A lot of stretching. Quickly realised I have zero flexibility. Something to work on.

I really want a good pb on Sunday in the Great Ireland Run.

What the hell - publicly shame myself. Ill go for sub 47 mins.

Hmmm...47 minutes? Not quite :rolleyes:

Garmin time of 48.55. The good - this is a PB by a fair distance. The bad, I definitely have more in me!

I just dont know how to pace my self properly at all. I felt like I could have done better at the finish. But that said the second half of the run was quite tough. Very hilly!

Overall I was happy enough with the run. Didnt have much trouble with congestion along the route, bit of space to run which is nice.

47 will fall soon!! Or 48 at least:o

I feel a bit more motivated with my running today for some reason. A bit of competition is good I suppose. I was p'ssed off at the end of the race. Which I like. Thats what I need to get my lazy arse out there training more.

I hope to go travelling in mid July. I WILL have beaten 47 minutes for ten k by then.

Quick update - chip time 48.50

Just signed up for the Samsung Dublin night race. 2 weeks to another PB hopefully!

In other news the Pringles I promised myself after the race are very disappointing!!

Tonight:

1.5km warm up.

3.4 km or so of 200 meter sprints with 200 meters jog recovery.

1.5km warm down.

Tough stuff. Averaging about 40 seconds for the 200 sprint. Havent ever done anything like this before so im learning as I go here

• Advertisement

Tonight:

Ran a scenic route home. No garmin. About half an hour or so. Pretty easy pace. Legs were still stiff from yesterday

Today:

5km in 25.53. Good god.

Im going to be leaving ireland mid july for the forseeable future. Heading to Oz so losing the gut would be nice.

Not to mention a sub 47 min ten k.

So..i WILL run at least 4 times a week until I leave. Simple!?

We shall see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

do-not-stop.jpg

Well that went well...not.

Out drinking 4 times last week. A constant haze of being hungover. So instead of trying to do more than ever i did nothing. I also have man flu at the moment which doesnt help.

5k yesterday in 24.30.

Lost the battle, not the war.:)

Updating this hasnt gone very well of late. I thought about not updating it at all any more but I enjoy my little log so ill keep it going. Im also a huge fan of reading other peoples logs, even if Im not great at contributing to them! Some serious progression in some of the logs and a lot of very determined people.

I have been running of late even if i havent been logging it all. As im leaving my job/ireland etc soon enough im busy these days. A lot of meeting with friends. Bit of boozing, a lot of crap food!

So my runs havent been regular but such is life. Im happy enough. I havent brought my garmin with me on runs lately and im enjoying the sense of freedom that brings!

My updates will probably be hit and miss from now on. We'll see how it goes. i hope to get a lot of swimming done when i go to Oz. Im not sure what will happen as regards running but hopefully ill keep it up on a somewhat regular basis. Could be easier said than done.

I cant end my log until I revenge my marathon disaster anyway. Marathon 1 Me 0 is the current score. In my next marathon (which will be a couple of years away realistically) I'll be aiming to knock an hour off my marathon time of 4.39. Thats obviously a long time goal which will involve a lot of effort and pbs over shorter distances.

The plan for tomorrow is 5k or so in the morning. Looking forward to it!

And for a certain reader, here's a song you might like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Sunday - 5k in 23.30. Funny how quickly you lose fitness!

Yesterday - 20 km spin on the bike. Slow and steady!

20 minute swim in the sea. Very cold getting in! But great once Id thawed out after swimming about. Cant wait to swim more in Oz. Love being in the sea.

Need to work on my breathing for front crawl to make it a good work out though.

Rolling, rolling, rolling.

22.5km cycle.

• Advertisement

And im back... 20 minute run. Fupped after it. Thats what happens when you do nothing for a couple of months!

Over in Oz now so the heats a factor but ill get used to it im sure. I find I wake very early over here so would be good to get into a habit of early running. No garmin here so I can only log times for now.

20 minute run. About 26 degrees. Fuppin hot.

28 minute run. No land speed records today. Slow n steady wins the race! Legs stiff from 2 days ago but nice to get out. Bit earlier but still hot. Ill get used to it in time im sure.

Until then ill just suffer as a sweaty mess. Theres worse complaints you could have!

28 minute run again! Another day of leaving it too late and getting fried in the heat.

Then some core work at a nice little work out station which is beside the beach.

3x 15 sit ups on a decline bench. 3 x 10 knee raise type things on a dip station, if that makes any sense.

Its a start anyway. Rome wasnt built in a day. I should be in some nice pain tomorrow as the only core work of any type ive done in months is sucking in my belly on the beach. Tough at the top!

5 minute run. Cut short as I had to do a police report. Long story but that messed up my run and too hot to go now. Busy later so just did a quick work out in hostel room.

4 x 10 push ups
    4 x 25 bodyweight squats

Repeated 4 times and done.

30 minute run.

Still very tender abs from two days ago and legs from yesterdays squats. Wasnt the most fun but done now. Had intended doung some core work but way too sore

Ten minute jog as warm up.

10 x 50 metre sprints with jog back recovery. Followed by 3 sets of ten box jumps. Jumps were about knee high.

Short and sweet. Still found it tough! Again I intended to do some core work but abs arent having any of it.

Rest day yesterday. My body is in shock and struggling with DOMs.

26 minute run.

Followed by

5 sets of ten box jumps
    3 sets of ten push ups
    3 sets of ten dips.

Hot as hell today. Run was a disaster.

Think ive lost some weight though. The backpacker lifestyle provides a great diet!

Moving hostel yesterday, didnt get a chance to get out.

40 minute run this evening. Felt fast and strong. Delighted!

• Advertisement

Tonight:

Attempted decline sit ups - did ten but they were too sore to keep doing. Not sure what the problem is there but I left it at that.

3 x planks. 30 seconds, then 40 & 40.
    3 x 10 push ups
    3 x 10 knee raises at dip station
    3 x 10 dips
    4 x 25 squats
    3 x 10 lunges (both legs)

Legs should be in bits tomorrow! Nice simple work out. By the way the dips Im doing arent full dips - im using a bench behind me. I used to be able to do the proper ones but im old and weak now it seems.

Advertisement