Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need Information Regarding Protein Intake

Options
  • 24-01-2016 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for some information to do with protein intake. I am thinking about getting some whey protein to take. I want to try and gain some weight and strength. I don't go to the gym but I have a barbell (30kg with all weights on it) and dumbells (a 5kg and a 10kg set) at home which I intend to use. I don't really get much exercise during winter as I sail which is more for the summer. Just wondering is getting whey protein a good idea and will it help because I see that taking too much protein can have a negative impact on your health. With regard to how much protein I consume currently without supplements, I really don't know. I am 17 and weight 11 stone, 3 pounds. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

whey protein isn't some sort of magical powder that puts muscle on you, it's literally just protein in a convenient form.
    think of it like being a liquidized chicken breast.
    if possible you're better to increase your protein intake from normal food (eg eggs instead of cereal for breakfast).
    I'm not sure where you got the "too much protein is bad for you" info from, but that is total BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

whey protein isn't some sort of magical powder that puts muscle on you, it's literally just protein in a convenient form.
    think of it like being a liquidized chicken breast.
    if possible you're better to increase your protein intake from normal food (eg eggs instead of cereal for breakfast).
    I'm not sure where you got the "too much protein is bad for you" info from, but that is total BS.

Well I saw that if you take too much protein it can be bad for your kidneys because they won't be able to break all the excess protein down or something, but whatever. I think I am going to try some of the protein porridge from bulk powders and I might order some of their pure whey as well. I am very lazy in the morning when it comes to breakfast so whey protein or the protein might be just do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

SW98 wrote: »
    Well I saw that if you take too much protein it can be bad for your kidneys because they won't be able to break all the excess protein down or something, but whatever. I think I am going to try some of the protein porridge from bulk powders and I might order some of their pure whey as well. I am very lazy in the morning when it comes to breakfast so whey protein or the protein might be just do the job.

If I were you I'd do a lot of reading about nutrition first. Hanley had a good 3 minute video explaining the basics here a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gavinmcg20

Too much protein supposedly can be bad for your kidneys & liver alright.. but the level in which you would need to consume is huge and over a sustained period of time.

Protein is actually good for your liver, but too much may cause problems? The recommended daily amount of protein is 56grams, but that is subjective and quite low. Go to body building dot com and read some of the articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

gavinmcg20 wrote: »
    Too much protein supposedly can be bad for your kidneys & liver alright.. but the level in which you would need to consume is huge and over a sustained period of time.

Protein is actually good for your liver, but too much may cause problems? The recommended daily amount of protein is 56grams, but that is subjective and quite low. Go to body building dot com and read some of the articles.

If your active and training then around 1.5g per kg bodyweight will do. But your intake of carbs and fats are just as important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd actually track your diet in myfitnesspal for a few days/ few weeks, and see do you need to supplement your protein first.

I aim for 0.7g per lb as I do more endurance sports - I normally find at most I need one supplement portion a day to get me over the line (a scoop in with my porridge/ overnight oats is normally what I do now, get it in early!). Extra/ larger portions of real food is much more satisfying if you can manage it.

I've never tried the protein porridge from any of the supplement companies, but it's handy enough to add whey to normal porridge (once you're making it in the pan - doesn't work in the microwave in my experience). If you don't have time for that in the morning, try overnight oats - equal measures of porridge, milk, yogurt and a scoop of whey protein (I use strawberry flavour whey, and add frozen fruits to it, and normally a banana when I'm eating it), as the name suggests made the night before.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd actually track your diet in myfitnesspal for a few days/ few weeks, and see do you need to supplement your protein first.

I aim for 0.7g per lb as I do more endurance sports - I normally find at most I need one supplement portion a day to get me over the line (a scoop in with my porridge/ overnight oats is normally what I do now, get it in early!). Extra/ larger portions of real food is much more satisfying if you can manage it.

I've never tried the protein porridge from any of the supplement companies, but it's handy enough to add whey to normal porridge (once you're making it in the pan - doesn't work in the microwave in my experience). If you don't have time for that in the morning, try overnight oats - equal measures of porridge, milk, yogurt and a scoop of whey protein (I use strawberry flavour whey, and add frozen fruits to it, and normally a banana when I'm eating it), as the name suggests made the night before.

I actually just ordered some pure whey protein from bulk powders as it is a very good price. I have had normal porridge that I made the night before for breakfast over the last few days but I felt hungry again at around half 10. I just eat the porridge on its own with no added fruit or yoghurt or anything like that, so maybe if I add a 30g scoop of whey protein to it, it might be a lot better. Then maybe make a shake in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

SW98 wrote: »
    I actually just ordered some pure whey protein from bulk powders as it is a very good price. I have had normal porridge that I made the night before for breakfast over the last few days but I felt hungry again at around half 10. I just eat the porridge on its own with no added fruit or yoghurt or anything like that, so maybe if I add a 30g scoop of whey protein to it, it might be a lot better. Then maybe make a shake in the evening.

Well, if you're adding a scoop of whey to it, you're basically adding more food so I would expect it to stop you feeling hungry for longer.

What do you actually eat on a typical day?

Well, if you're adding a scoop of whey to it, you're basically adding more food so I would expect it to stop you feeling hungry for longer.

What do you actually eat on a typical day?

Well lets say - breakfast: normal porridge(no added protein), break time: ham sandwich and a chocolate bar, lunch: chicken fillet roll(white bread), dinner: generally potato, veg and a bit of meat, maybe some small snacks such as chocolate in between dinner and bed.

Advertisement