Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Games that you had no idea what to do in as a kid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

truedoom wrote: »
    MystCover.png

this.

No clue, and still no clue.

That's the first one that sprang to mind. I remembering renting it for my PS and raking up a huge bill because I refused to bring it back until I figured it out. A weird bitter-sweet feeling when you finished it.

Another one was this...

Star_Trek_25th_Anniversary_(DOS)_30.png

Although in fairness I think my patience was at an edge after the 24 floppy disk loadup. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ecco The Dolphin. Remember just swimming around and not really seeing the point of any of it.

After reading the wiki page, the designer intentionally made the game hard so children couldn't finish a rented copy in a weekend. Well played, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Remember the dinosaur demo on the disc that came with the PS1?

I seem to remember playing that for ages...

Surely something will happen any minute now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Didn't it come out as a demo with some other game ?

Yea the Demo 1 that came with my playstation had Abes odysee, hercules, overboard, kurushi,porche challenge, as well as a Dino and manta graphic showcase that used to frighten the bejesus out of little me.

Afraid of manta rays?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Kurushi for the PS1...to this day I still don't know what a kurushi is or what the hell they wanted from me.

.ak wrote: »
    Afraid of manta rays?

more referring to the Dino showcase but the manta one was a bit eerie in its own way.

Kurushi for the PS1...to this day I still don't know what a kurushi is or what the hell they wanted from me.

Same situation here followed by the game telling me I had an I.Q. of 0 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

the original tomb raider. There was a ledge that you had to jump. It was a huge distance so I used to run jump but she missed every ****ing time, no matter the angle I tried.
    Turned out you had to walk to the very ****ing edge and jump from standing.
    The bitch could make it from standing still but not at a run

I was stuck on that part for ages. A friend did it for me in the end...felt so stupid when I saw that's what you had to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Ecco The Dolphin. Remember just swimming around and not really seeing the point of any of it.

That f*cking Dolphin, I remember being very confused by the hype around this game at the time, and having zero clue what I was supposed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Jurassic Park demo. I hadn't a bulls notion what to do. Didn't bother getting the game as a result.

I also could never figure out how to get past the first level of Another World - that game just never clicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Thud

Eye of the Beholder, so many f*cking grey walls all looked the same...eventually tried to draw out a map on paper got a bit further but then gave up
    .ak wrote: »
    Another one was this...

Star_Trek_25th_Anniversary_(DOS)_30.png

Although in fairness I think my patience was at an edge after the 24 floppy disk loadup. :mad:

Was that Star Trek 25th Anniversary? Was flying along on that then got stuck, tried wandering around the same planet for about a forthnight then gave up, still bugs me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

J. Marston wrote: »
    Overboard?

Loved that game but I hadn't a clue what I was doing either.

Looking at it now, I wonder if Ubisoft used it as inspiration for Assassin's Creed naval battles.

I had this game as well but it seemed straight forward to me. I do remember there were loads of different weapon types and some enemies could only be killed by a certain weapon so maybe that was confusing? It was a great game though. Got it with my PS1.

Thud wrote: »
    Eye of the Beholder, so many f*cking grey walls all looked the same...eventually tried to draw out a map on paper got a bit further but then gave up

Was that Star Trek 25th Anniversary? Was flying along on that then got stuck, tried wandering around the same planet for about a forthnight then gave up, still bugs me

Yep. Mind boggling. Didn't really work on my PC properly either, trying to boot into MS-DOS to load it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Another World. Bought it as a child. Was nearly a man before I got past the very first screen....
    I was a very dense child apparently. I remember putting it on every couple of months hoping irrationally that the dog wouldn't be there this time. :o

fn5B56wZDJHs_sNy8I98-Pzz0vGwDaFydZ7Y6zgWAmeTZfaDUeoqFFT-cZ1jhtLxYzE=h900

Great game though once I got past that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Skerries wrote: »
    I enjoyed them, after I cheated and entered a poke for infinite lives :)

wow, that just gave me a crazy flashback to my youth. :pac:

I remember zzapp 64, the commodore magazine used to have a section called "a pig in a poke"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

110113-fantasy-world-dizzy-dos-screenshot-the-snap-happy-gator-s.gif

You want me to what? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dragons Lair was one for me. Never really got to grips with what i needed to do.

Dragon%27s_Lair_%28NES%29.png

This was where you started in the game on it seemed impossible to get across without dying for me. I did eventually get through the gate after a long time and umpteen attempts by some fluke.

dragons-lair-%281%29.png

This is what you faced when you got through the get and i never got past here. Could never figure this out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Two games for me growing up

As mentioned above, Ecco the Dolphin.

We had it on the mega drive and I remember just speeding into jelly fish and jumping over cliffs, never had a clue what to do. Plus, there was this giant octopus that used to scare me so I would turn it off...

ecco-the-dolphin002.png

Then there was Battle of Olympus on the NES, I remember just jumping around the Forrest with the wooden stick hitting everything that came at me. Good times.

2471504-battle-of-olympus-vers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

I picked up a copy of Kessen on the ps2. Granted I didn't give it enough time but didn't have a clue what was going on. It sat on a shelf for a long time and when i did give it a second chance I was still baffled :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

Indiana jones lego on ps2 Could never play that game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Indiana-Jones.png

First game I thought of, Raiders of the Lost Ark on the Atari 2600. Recently watched a walkthrough on Youtube which left me thinking wtf? If any child back in the day ever finished this they are definitely a member of Mensa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Spellbound on the Amstrad cpc464... no idea what to do in it cracking game though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Another World. Bought it as a child. Was nearly a man before I got past the very first screen....
    I was a very dense child apparently. I remember putting it on every couple of months hoping irrationally that the dog wouldn't be there this time. :o

OMFG! I've just searched the entire internetz looking for this! I saw this thread and this instantly came to mind (though I couldnt remember the name!) had this on the C64 and could never get past the firsat screen. You'd walk along, jump a few rocks and stuff and get the the end where there was a gate or something, but no way of getting past! I was 9 when I had this, and it obviously affected me deeply.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Skerries wrote: »
    I enjoyed them, after I cheated and entered a poke for infinite lives :)

Ah, pokes. I remember getting them on covertapes (remember them?)
    gizmo wrote: »
    110113-fantasy-world-dizzy-dos-screenshot-the-snap-happy-gator-s.gif

You want me to what? :confused:

Oh wasn't that the part where you had to time it so you land just as his mouth shuts then you have to jump off again right away?
    One of Dizzy's main problems was he had a habit of roling when he landed, usually straight off a ledge or into something that would kill him, which seemed to be everything.

Does this count?

free-minesweeper-thumbnail.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Oh wasn't that the part where you had to time it so you land just as his mouth shuts then you have to jump off again right away?
    One of Dizzy's main problems was he had a habit of roling when he landed, usually straight off a ledge or into something that would kill him, which seemed to be everything.
    You had to jump on his mouth when closed and then, via the Use Item dialogue box, tie his mouth shut with rope.

Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The%20Incredible%20Machine_4.png

The Incredible Machine. Had it for ages on an old PC. For the first year or so I remember not having a clue what things did, just lashing **** together in freeplay and if it did something, happy days.

Eventually I actually bothered to figure out what you're supposed to do and tried clearing the challenge levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I didn't realise you could kick the worm things to kill them so I learned their routine and then jumpied over them at the right time, took me ages especially with the lion thing chasing me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I finished the recent rerelease of Another World about 2 years ago. The annoying thing about the game is you could be playing for ages then die and the checkpoint could be miles away if you are goingthe wrong way. The game only checkpoints if you are playing it right.

I got horribly stuck on a part where the obvious route was too the right while the solution was to fall off the bottom of the screen through a hole, the same holes you'd been trying to avoid up to that point.

Advertisement