Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur Drama Festival Circuit 2014

• 07-02-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

So the circuit season is almost upon us.

What groups are been tipped for success in Athlone and Claremorris?

Best of luck to all and enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Peter grimes

Will be very strange not having silken Thomas on Circuit this year! They will be missed!
    Looking forward to seeing Dundalk, good group and good play!
    Thurles with a great Miller play again!
    Prosperous will no doubt do a wonderful job on Boeing Boeing! Can't wait to see that!
    Raspers will be new to the Open, having seen their contribution to the 1 Act circuit I am very much looking forward to seeing animal farm!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fudge dice

There's some really tough festivals that will really tell who'll be the front runners for Athlone! ie New Ross, Roscmommon and West Waterford

Has anybody been able to catch any productions yet?? Any thoughts?

Will be very strange not having silken Thomas on Circuit this year! They will be missed!
    Looking forward to seeing Dundalk, good group and good play!
    Thurles with a great Miller play again!
    Prosperous will no doubt do a wonderful job on Boeing Boeing! Can't wait to see that!
    Raspers will be new to the Open, having seen their contribution to the 1 Act circuit I am very much looking forward to seeing animal farm!

Have you heard any adjudications from any festivals??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GarDon

Super start for the early pace setters Bradan - 2 out of 2!
    Not particularly easy festivals either, beating Prosperous and Ballyduff.

I would imagine they are pretty much qualified for the All Ireland's now.

Has anyone seen it or any of the other festival plays? A lot of new plays out this year (well, plays I'm not familiar with anyway)

• Advertisement

Ya fair play to Bradan must have a great play on their hands!
    Newtownstewart and Rush were both very tough festivals with some big guns at both! Kilmuckridge seemed to be considerably easier! It seems a lot of groups tend to get to athlone by getting a win or two in very easy festivals, but im sure Bridge have a very good play on their hands. We'll really see who are the front runner in a week or two and who'll be in with a shout for Athlone and Claremorris! But for now all eyes are on Bradan

• Registered Users Posts: 13 coghlan

Moyne opened Mountmellick last night good show .They are in Wexford tonight late replacement for Holycross who had to withdraw due to cast member sickness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

There's still only one judge in Athlone - not to mind on the circuit - it's a bit of a joke really. It's certainly a lottery in Athlone as it's one persons opinion.

Thurles won in Clare first time .They are class and will go all the way this year

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    There's still only one judge in Athlone - not to mind on the circuit - it's a bit of a joke really. It's certainly a lottery in Athlone as it's one persons opinion.

I wouldn't go as far as to say its a joke or a lottery but I think multiple adjudicators in Athlone should be tested out at least. I believe it was the way in the past - going back a long time now.
    I don't think its necessary on the circuit because you have up to 8 festivals and "generally" you will get to Athlone if you are good enough.

• Advertisement

I left a play at half time last year it was so poor and it made it to Athlone and I know others that should have made it and didn't. One man or woman's opinion isn't enough in a competition as subjective as this. There should be three judges in all the festivals but they could at least start making steps in the right direction by having three at Athlone.

Thurles won again open in mountmellick last night Moyne 2nd in confined .Wexford was a clean sweep for locals

It seems that Bradan, Prosperous, Ballyduff and Thurles are the one to watch this year!!

I went to see the new electric ballroom over the weekend - I hadn't a clue what was going on for the first 20 minutes or so, I didn't really like it in the end. Performances weren't that bad - just not my kind of play. I went to see a confined section performance too - I won't say what as the less said about it the better - at least they're trying.

Where was that play on

Charleville

Has anybody been able to catch the front runners in any festival ie bradan, prosperous, ballyduff or Thurles?

I haven't seen it but I spoke to who say Ballyduff and he said it was a pretty good show.

Thurles show is very good I think they will win all ireland it's that good

coghlan wrote: »
    Thurles show is very good I think they will win all ireland it's that good

I don't think you can say who's going to win if you havnt seen all the groups that will be competing in Athlone, and that month in April is vital for groups! Some groups have the reputation of just about making it into Athlone and making serious improvements to their show which is sometimes on a whole different level to what was on the circuit. I saw estuary in 2008 both in Athlone and on circuit with the price amd there was no comparisson as their Athlone performance was quite exceptional and they won. Similarly ballyduff in 2012 with the crucible. Some questioned their worthiness of being in the top 9, but they seriously proved themselves in Athlone with what I thought was a stunning piece of theatre which received a standing ovation... We don't see a lot of those in Athone!!

No offence Coughlan but it is blatantly obvious that you are somewhat involved with Thurles drama group or a neighbouring group as all you seem to do is update us with Thurles's results... But I'm sure ye do have an excellent show which is proven by the results ye have received all ready!!

• Advertisement

I went to see Thurles' show last night and there was a very strong performance from David McElgunn, the rest of the cast were good too with minor accent slip ups here an d there for some and well a couple of poor attempts at a new york accent. One of the people I was with thought the costumes should have been more colourful and the guys should have been a bit dirtier after working on the docks he also suggested being able to see a bit of new york skyline in the background or through a window.
    All in all a good show, I heard people saying it was the best they'd seen all week in the North Cork drama festival but as it is now it wont will in Athlone - not without a good deal of work.

Delighted you liked the show and I know some of the Thurles cast are on this site and will take note of your comments

I was just looking at the open table and out of the top 9 groups 7 have female directors!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Fudge dice wrote: »
    I was just looking at the open table and out of the top 9 groups 7 have gape directors!!

Gape?

Gape?

Female!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Maybe being able to multitask is a good quality for a director?

I saw Einstein's gift last night by Fermoy - very good play and not a bad cast again (like Thurles) some of the smaller roles weren't great and they had terrible trouble with the lighting - I heard there was a problem with the lighting board and the adjudicator said she wasn't taking points of because of this - fair play. But the two leads were very good - I'd say the win in Chraleville is between Thurles and Fermoy but I've heard Nenagh are good too - they're on tonight.

I was just looking at the previous winners in Athlone and it was 2005 that a group other than Silken Thomas, Estuary or Kilmeen won. It looks like that run will be ended this year with Silken Thomas not out and Estuary and Kilmeen don't look like making it. I haven't seen Estuary or Kilmeen this year but I have seen The abbeys plough and stars and Druids Walworth farce in recent years. They are very strong plays and with estuary doing a Dublin play and Kilmeen a cork play you would have expected them to have featured strongly this year. But that level of consistency must be hard to sustain and I guess a change is good for the circuit too.

GarDon wrote: »
    I was just looking at the previous winners in Athlone and it was 2005 that a group other than Silken Thomas, Estuary or Kilmeen won. It looks like that run will be ended this year with Silken Thomas not out and Estuary and Kilmeen don't look like making it. I haven't seen Estuary or Kilmeen this year but I have seen The abbeys plough and stars and Druids Walworth farce in recent years. They are very strong plays and with estuary doing a Dublin play and Kilmeen a cork play you would have expected them to have featured strongly this year. But that level of consistency must be hard to sustain and I guess a change is good for the circuit too.

Will Groups like Bradan, Prosperous or thurles get their first win or will ballyduff get their second all Ireland.
    i personally would like to see Prosperous or Ballyduff win - these groups have come so close in the last number of years and they both have superb directors- Lurleen Duggan and Geraldine Canning respectively

• Advertisement

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Ballycogley Players can win Wexford after an NP first time out then get a 3th after Wexford and last night get a NP in Shercock

Advertisement