Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metal Gear Solid 5 (Ground Zeros] ....completed in 2 HOURS!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

snausages wrote: »
    It's not a ridiculous reaction. I honestly think it's more ridiculous to argue over it when it's plainly there in the game footage above as visible as Snake's mullet. He get's shot and the colour leaves the screen. He stops getting shot and the screen brightens, just like Uncharted/CoD etc. It's hardly an assumption.

You're right,it is ridiculous to argue over it when you can wait and see when the game comes out next month.Or if any more news develops.

I'm just curious is all and only questioning what I'm seeing based on what facts that are present from news sources at the moment. Just because you appear to have seen what some games depict as regen health doesn't make it so.Remember,this is a series with a history of deceiving its audience on how the final product will play out.Keep that in mind.

EDIT:Looking at the IGN link.Interesting that it mentions the 'Slow mo' thing which was another controversy towards the game.Later it was revealed that you could turn this off.Maybe you can turn off regen health as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/gz/en/products/compare.html

Detail comparisons on all 4 platforms.

Think I'll contemplate a PS4 for MGS V: Phantom Pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So the ration is gone? :eek:

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The more i see gz it reminds me of the changes Io interactive made in hitman absolution which I was not very fond of.

I dont mind if its there to get more people playing the game but removing and adding features that make the game what it was that you have no control over annoys me deeply.

I am okay with change but this making it look like mgs is water down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

So the ration is gone? :eek:

:mad:

+1 it better not be, other wise I'll have too give this a miss, game seems watered down if thats the case,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Before a guard enters an alert state, you’ll get a button prompt indicating you’re busted. Hold the left trigger, and you’ll briefly freeze time, giving you the opportunity to pump a couple quiet bullets into an alarmed enemy’s eyeballs.

Ugh.

What are you doing, Hideo?

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the pinnacle that I yet seen matched

MGS3 enemy AI was pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ugh.

What are you doing, Hideo?

Can be deactivated, you don't have to use it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It doesn't matter if its bad though as long as it's fun. Hope that's the case for mgsV plenty of stealth game developers say they make the ai dumber in their games because it makes a better game than ai that is too good and frustrating.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that it isn't the pinnacle of artifical intelligence in gaming. They pretty much just run after you and that's it. Or they might have a shield. MGS2 was better but I think that had a lot to do with the fact it took place in very tight spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

You can only do so much with the limitations of the console you are using , they opted for a more open world mgs in the jungle so likely the ai was never going to be perfect. Still a hell of alot better than splinter cell and most other games on ps2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

AI is an element of development that doesn't take up as much space or processing power as the graphical side of things as so much if it involves scripting and binary decisions.

Some of the best AI in gaming came years ago on archaic platforms and technology. It's mostly talent. They would have had to sacrifice and compromise a lot when going with their larger, jungle setting but AI of enemy soldiers wouldn't have been one of them. Hardware limitation is a poor excuse for lousy programming.

Was thinking there that the idea of Ground Zeros isn't really a new concept for Kojima. Granted, it's new that you are being charged for it :pac:

But when you go back to Mgs2 it was split into two chapters, the Tanker and Big Shell. But Konami released a demo for it with the Official Playstation 2 magazine (released in february 2001) and it basically featured the entire tanker chaper (
    all the way up until Ocelot shuts the tanker cargo door after snake
    )

Same thing happened with MGS3. Virtious Mission and Snake Eater Mission. But yet again the official Playstation 2 magazine gave a free demo that gave us 90% of Virtious Mission (
    demo stopped just before the cutscene to where he meets sokolov for the first time - which is the ending cutscene of that chapter
    )

So it looks like Kojima / Konami are up to their old tricks again. However, oddly enough in this day and age were demos can be downloaded and do not have to be physically made and bundled along with magazines. They are charging us for the privledge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Oooh if that PS4 special edition were to be released over here I think I'd be forced to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

So it seems regen health is in the game however,it will only come into effect if minor damage is taken.

For major damage,you need to use a 'healing spray.'

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=12947

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

MGS3 had health regen in blocks, this sounds to be the exact same. Most MGS fans say 3 is the best of the lot, I don't see the problem here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

MGS3 had health regen in blocks, this sounds to be the exact same. Most MGS fans say 3 is the best of the lot, I don't see the problem here.

Ah it was regen, but you had to wait something like 10-20 mins before a real injury would heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

Peace walker is only Mgs I've never played and I'm currently around 40% through its story. I've grown up with snake and I literally going to explode with anticipation . Only gta and Mgs games make me feel this pumped.. Well maybe a naughty dog game would also join this elite list :)

brady12 wrote: »
    Peace walker is only Mgs I've never played and I'm currently around 40% through its story. I've grown up with snake and I literally going to explode with anticipation . Only gta and Mgs games make me feel this pumped.. Well maybe a naughty dog game would also join this elite list :)

IMO peace walker was the worst of the bunch. By a considerable margin. Portable Obs was amazing. MGS1 then MGS3 slightly behind as top two for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

I'm enjoying it so far . Did u play it on ps3 version? I will agree with you that snake eater was best.amazing game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Timmyctc wrote: »
    IMO peace walker was the worst of the bunch. By a considerable margin. Portable Obs was amazing. MGS1 then MGS3 slightly behind as top two for me.

I quiet liked Peace Walker, but not for it's story. Not saying it was all that bad but the real meat of that game was in the extra ops, I got completely hooked on getting all the secrets and managing mother base etc must have put around 80 hours into it, the down side was the laggy peer to peer co-op and the more so the idiots who played it, who just didnt get you had to fulton extract the tank/chopper pilot :mad:

Though once you get the right gear r&d your able to solo them :pac:

Didn't play portable ops, was it more of the same kind of thing?

calex71 wrote: »
    I quiet liked Peace Walker, but not for it's story. Not saying it was all that bad but the real meat of that game was in the extra ops, I got completely hooked on getting all the secrets and managing mother base etc must have put around 80 hours into it, the down side was the laggy peer to peer co-op and the more so the idiots who played it, who just didnt get you had to fulton extract the tank/chopper pilot :mad:

Though once you get the right gear r&d your able to solo them :pac:

Didn't play portable ops, was it more of the same kind of thing?

Maybe its different strokes etc but I found Portable Ops much much much better. The fulton recovery system was just awful tbh. In Portable Ops it was more difficult and more enjoyable. Definitely give it a go!

It sucks that Peacewalker wasn't much fun because this one carries on right from it. I feel kind of lost going in :(

Burky126 wrote: »
    So it seems regen health is in the game however,it will only come into effect if minor damage is taken.

For major damage,you need to use a 'healing spray.'

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=12947

tbf, that doesn't do much to assuage my concerns. It'll probably be like bleeding out in Gears of War except instead of having a buddy pick you up you just get under cover and spray yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Little surprised to hear the dislike regarding Peace Walker. Thought it was excellent myself.

The more I hear about Ground Zeroes the more I want it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Peace Walker was really fantastic - after MGS4 it was encouraging that there was a game almost entirely focused on 'playing' rather than 'telling'. A welcome companion piece to MGS3, although obviously made for handheld consumption above all. Must give the HD version more time to see if it holds up to big screen play. On PSP though it certainly would have stood up as MGS5, like Kojima said it could have been at the time (although some aspects, like the bosses, definitely stood out less due to the more limited resources).

Portable Ops had a similar focus on 'game', but it was overall blander, more repetitive and unfortunately crippled by its absolutely dreadful control system. Peace Walker was compromised too, but at least they offered options.

I still don't understand why Peace Walker isn't included with the HD collection on Vita.

Seems baffling as it's perfect for it.

Place your bets :p
    ... So when do you think The Phantom Pain will be released?

Me thinks early 2015.

• Advertisement

Place your bets :p
    ... So when do you think The Phantom Pain will be released?

Me thinks early 2015.

You are an optimistic one.

I'd late 2015/early 2016. They take ages before they ever get released.

Sure consider how long ago we saw the Ground Zeros trailer.

Advertisement