Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching council registration

• 02-01-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Looking for a bit of help from somebody who may be in the know. Having a bit of trouble with sorting out my NQT year. Its probably something which has been asked a hundred times on here but I think my situation is a bit different.

I am fresh out of college and made the move to England. I have conditional registration with the Irish teaching council pending 300 hours and completion of the induction workshops.

Now on advice of the agency I moved with and my school, I started to undertake an English NQT program which is quite thorough with regular observations, evidence gathering and weekly workshops. However when the school tried to register me for the programs termly assessment, they were unable to as I didnt have some sort of english teaching number.

I tried to apply for said number but they said I was unable to because I qualified in Ireland. The business manager in the school did a lot of work and found that I could apply directly for Qualified teacher status and skip the NQT process. This all seemed to be going well until I got an email today from the authorities in England saying I need full teaching council registration, ie complete my 300 hours and workshops.

Now obviously, the workshops are in Ireland and I have already missed the ones on a Saturday for teachers working abroad. (Putting on some workshops in London for the many Irish NQTS in south east England would be a great idea). My school however puts huge emphasis on CPD and the whole school goes to weekly internal workshops covering all of the workshops in the induction period and more. I also attend weekly NQT workshops, again looking at many of the same topics, and will be attending NQT workshops/seminars in the coming weeks, laid on by local authorities.

I dont think these can be accepted by the teaching council for full registration, even though they cover everything examined in the workshops and Id imagine far more.

Has anyone been in a similar position or know more about teaching council registration that can offer some advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mel84

Louthdrog wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of help from somebody who may be in the know. Having a bit of trouble with sorting out my NQT year. Its probably something which has been asked a hundred times on here but I think my situation is a bit different.

I am fresh out of college and made the move to England. I have conditional registration with the Irish teaching council pending 300 hours and completion of the induction workshops.

Now on advice of the agency I moved with and my school, I started to undertake an English NQT program which is quite thorough with regular observations, evidence gathering and weekly workshops. However when the school tried to register me for the programs termly assessment, they were unable to as I didnt have some sort of english teaching number.

I tried to apply for said number but they said I was unable to because I qualified in Ireland. The business manager in the school did a lot of work and found that I could apply directly for Qualified teacher status and skip the NQT process. This all seemed to be going well until I got an email today from the authorities in England saying I need full teaching council registration, ie complete my 300 hours and workshops.

Now obviously, the workshops are in Ireland and I have already missed the ones on a Saturday for teachers working abroad. (Putting on some workshops in London for the many Irish NQTS in south east England would be a great idea). My school however puts huge emphasis on CPD and the whole school goes to weekly internal workshops covering all of the workshops in the induction period and more. I also attend weekly NQT workshops, again looking at many of the same topics, and will be attending NQT workshops/seminars in the coming weeks, laid on by local authorities.

I dont think these can be accepted by the teaching council for full registration, even though they cover everything examined in the workshops and Id imagine far more.

Has anyone been in a similar position or know more about teaching council registration that can offer some advice?

Hiya! As long as u complete the induction year in the UK by a 'recognised body' and it's all,signed off by your school, the teaching council in Ireland accept this in lieu of.completing your hours and workshops in Ireland- call the teaching council of Ireland. Are there many irish in your school? U don't need to register with the teaching council in england unless u are staying a few years or are perm in a school! Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

I am having this exact same problem - my NQT status isn't registered either here, which means that all the evidence I have been collecting and meetings I have been writing up were for nothing - grrrr!!! Please do keep us informed of what you find out, the Irish TC sent me a ton of documents when I asked them about it but couldn't give me a specific answer and I can't make head nor tail of all the documents. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Speak to your school. The local authority for nqt assesment should accept your registration with just a teaching council number and your national insurance number. Found this out by talking to an nqt coord at a training weekend.

Louthdrog wrote: »
    Speak to your school. The local authority for nqt assesment should accept your registration with just a teaching council number and your national insurance number. Found this out by talking to an nqt coord at a training weekend.

I have an NQT co-ordinator in my school ; she is absaloutley useless. She just keeps telling me to ring the National Council of Teaching and Learning, they tell me to speak to the TC, the TC can't give me a straight answer.

BLEUGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Yeah, the way I understand it is that we cannot register with the national college so ringing them is a waste of time. Instead contact the local nqt authority (If your in surrey, its babcock) with your national insurance number and teaching council number. Not sure if its something you can do yourself though or if the school needs to do it on your behalf.

• Advertisement

I've done that too, they sent me to the NCTL, who sent me to the Irish TC, who couldn't give me a simple yes/no answer, just a link to a page of regulations and documents. I'm starting to get concerned

Advertisement