Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arma 3 Alpha (Beta, full game)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Currently rendering a Day 1 highlights video. Will have a video of the Escape Stratis Mission done soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Did anyone purchase TrackIR? Seems to be fairly popular in the Arma community - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Did anyone purchase TrackIR? Seems to be fairly popular in the Arma community - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ

I won one few years ago, great piece of kit but wasnt for me.

Every few minutes my solider would stop and his would tilt back slowly and it was clearly obvious i was drinking beer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

the_syco wrote: »
    Does anyone know can you place C4 and/or explosives and or mines, etc, on jeeps, planes, fellow team-mates, etc?
    It was in one of the release videos, that you can actually put satchel charges on objects now, rather than just on the ground. Not sure how well putting a satchel on a quad, driving at a tank and jumping off at 50mph would work though.

Challenge Accepted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Theres a few things I'm looking forward to,

Domination
    Community made weapons and gear.
    Community made vehiclels
    ACRE
    ACE (at least some parts)

Comparing BF3 to Arma is something akin to comparing Left for Dead to Dayz. They have the same theme but in one there is so much more content and realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not sure how well putting a satchel on a quad, driving at a tank and jumping off at 50mph would work though.
    You jump out of a moving jeep, and you either get two broken legs, or you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Those sort of BF3 techniques don't tend to work in ARMA, if you see a tank and you don't have anti tank weaponry then hide and hope they don't see you.

I'll buy this on steam when I get home this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

After reading this thread ,I think I'm sold. Only picked up Arma 2 before xmas,mainly for the DayZ, and never got too much of a chance to get into it outside the single player games. Being feckin useless at it as well, kind of put me off trying multiplayer. COD and BF3 gave me a false sense of being good at FPS, played ARMA 2 and realised how sh1t I truly am.

Meatwad wrote: »
    COD and BF3 gave me a false sense of being good at FPS, played ARMA 2 and realised how sh1t I truly am.
    TBH, CoD and BF3 are first person shooters, whilst ARMA is more of a military simulator.

• Advertisement

Arma 2 had a dedicated but fairly small fan base who kept to themselves until dayz came along, I hope its popularity will mean Arma 3 will be a bit more mainstream and have more people playing it and creating mods.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Arma 2 had a dedicated but fairly small fan base who kept to themselves until dayz came along, I hope its popularity will mean Arma 3 will be a bit more mainstream and have more people playing it and creating mods.
    I just had a flashback when BF3 came out, and the ****ing ****s crashing every plane, chopper, etc... and since BF3 is flying with auto-pilot on compared to ARMA, it'll be fun to see how fast they all die.

the_syco wrote: »
    I just had a flashback when BF3 came out, and the ****ing ****s crashing every plane, chopper, etc... and since BF3 is flying with auto-pilot on compared to ARMA, it'll be fun to see how fast they all die.

Theres a little bird in the A3 editor, i forgot how to fly Arma style :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Looks like a fairly big improvement over 2,graphics wise, and its only the Alpha.Nice video as well by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Looking at picking this up at the weekend, loved the last one. Can anyone tell me what these specs would be like for it (laptop):

i5 3210M
    Nvidia GTX 660M
    8GB RAM
    W7 64 bit

Looking at picking this up at the weekend, loved the last one. Can anyone tell me what these specs would be like for it (laptop):

i5 3210M
    Nvidia GTX 660M
    8GB RAM
    W7 64 bit
    Not sure how well it'd run with those specs, but I would never advise anyone to game on a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Reminds me of Operation Flashpoint.

I don't know if this is my cup of tea. Hyper-realism is a negative to me

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Grimebox wrote: »
    Reminds me of Operation Flashpoint.

I don't know if this is my cup of tea. Hyper-realism is a negative to me
    It's the spiritual successor to the original Operation Flashpoint (made by the same guys, I think). It plays incredibly similar (but updated).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

humanji wrote: »
    It's the spiritual successor to the original Operation Flashpoint (made by the same guys, I think). It plays incredibly similar (but updated).

Flashpoint is now called Arma: Cold War Conflict, since Codemasters own the name, not the game itself. It's free with the Digital Deluxe edition too.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Flashpoint is now called Arma: Cold War Conflict, since Codemasters own the name, not the game itself. It's free with the Digital Deluxe edition too.
    Oooh, didn't realise that! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Not sure how well it'd run with those specs, but I would never advise anyone to game on a laptop.

I know it's nowhere near as good as a Desktop but so far it's been able to play games such as Skyrim maxed out and Far Cry 3 on very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Seen this server: Midnight Crew Wasteland EU.
    Trying to join, Anyone tried it yet?

The wasteland servers are constantly crashing. Not worth trying yet tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

yeah, just after crashing lasted about 40 minutes. They couldnt start the server for 15 as people kept joining and would choose a class. A bit unpolished as yet but its a promising start.

Day 2, Wasteland already. What a community.

PC games always have amazing modding communities, I remember when Skyrim came out there were mods to improve the graphics available the same day.

I just got home from college so this is downloading now. Excited!

Ktulu made a space car tonight :D

haha He most certainly did. I will probably make a Day 2 highlights video & that will be in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Day 1 highlights:

Reddit: http://redd.it/19s97y

First mistake I made the second I started the first test mission after installing it
    ...threw a grenade at my team, oops :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    First mistake I made the second I started the first test mission after installing it
    ...threw a grenade at my team, oops :)

Ah here, I got fed up with that. They changed the G binding and now at ammo crates I get barraged with grenades instead. At first I thought 'are the enemies spamming us with grenades!?!', then I realized... it's the likes of YOU :P

Advertisement