Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batman: Arkham Origins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

So if it is using the full city, or at least a larger part of it, as the setting rather than just the asylum and prison of the previous games, does that mean civilians on the streets rather than just thugs?

Could make things interesting in taking down criminals while leaving the citizens unharmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Faker74 wrote: »
    So if it is using the full city, or at least a larger part of it, as the setting rather than just the asylum and prison of the previous games, does that mean civilians on the streets rather than just thugs?

Could make things interesting in taking down criminals while leaving the citizens unharmed.

Yeah buit I think they are using the excuse of 'It's Christmas Eve and crime is rampant, people are told to stay in doors to be safe'. Would be class if normal people were out an about though, give the city some life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

sheehy83 wrote: »

Lol I was searching for a retrospective vid of this for aaaaages a few weeks ago.
    :D
    Looking forward to this but I have a little trepidation. Lovin the 3DS & Vita love by them too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Very apprehensive of this, rocksteady have my loyalty as they havent let me down but WB games have got to earn it again as far as im concerned, will be watching closely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

VinLieger wrote: »
    Very apprehensive of this, rocksteady have my loyalty as they havent let me down but WB games have got to earn it again as far as im concerned, will be watching closely
    Again? Pretty sure this is their first internally developed game. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

InFamous and numerous GTA games managed to have a city full of civilians, so no reason a game featuring Gotham couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Yeah, but it would probably be at odds with their Batman ethos or something. Both those games allow you to be an evil c_nt if you want. Can't have Batman beating up grannies and stealing their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Plus, it's Christmas Eve (which means less people on the streets), and it's Gotham City. The night belongs to the criminals.

I imagine there'll be some "Rescue the civilians" side missions, but I seriously doubt there'll be pedestrians on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

gizmo wrote: »
    Again? Pretty sure this is their first internally developed game. :)

I meant as far as batman is concerned, just cus its a new batman game set in the same arkham universe doesnt mean im automatically on board

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

snausages wrote: »
    Yeah, but it would probably be at odds with their Batman ethos or something. Both those games allow you to be an evil c_nt if you want. Can't have Batman beating up grannies and stealing their money.

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Take a look at the guys on the new team and what they made before. I'm looking forward to what most of the team behind Metroid Prime can do when it comes to batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I meant as far as batman is concerned, just cus its a new batman game set in the same arkham universe doesnt mean im automatically on board
    Ah yes. I'm in the same boat to be honest, pumped that there's a new game coming out but a new developer in a franchise like this is always a bit of an odd one. That being said they do seem to "get it" from the interviews so far so I'm quite hopeful.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Take a look at the guys on the new team and what they made before. I'm looking forward to what most of the team behind Metroid Prime can do when it comes to batman.
    That's the Armature Studios guys who are in charge of the 3DS/Vita version, not WB Montreal who are in charge of the console verson. Certainly agree though, the first screenshot does look quite promising too. Any excuse to bring me closer to a 3DS or Vita purchase is good for me though. :)

Game Informer have an Arkham Origins hub on their website and will be adding updates for a month. Few already up there.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/arkhamorigins.aspx

Great video here of the WB devs talking about how they are handling the game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/04/12/why-warner-bros-montreal-is-developing-batman-arkham-origins.aspx

The latest piece is a feature on Black Mask, another great read:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/04/15/the-nemesis-of-batman-arkham-origins.aspx

A promo standee has been revealed and looks to reveal the villains Batman will face. Looks like the Joker is in!

screenshot_300377_orig1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Can't do much about it if Hamill doesn't want to do it and you can't really leave out the joker either if it's based out batmans early days.
    If no Hamill, I wouldn't mind Jeff Bennett. Does a pretty goodjob in The Brave and the Bold cartoon (plus he's Johnny Bravo :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tampler

RopeDrink wrote: »
    My only gripe is whether that Joker ties with Mark Hamil... If there's no Hamil then that's a big disappointment :mad:

He wont be in it. His pretty much done as The Joker. He said the only time he would ever reprise his role would be if they did an animated version of "The Killing Joke".

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

Oh yes! Big fan of the Arkham franchise and very much looking forward to this! Hopefully it will have an immersive world type like Arkham city!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Multiplayer

I know it could be good but I really wish some games stuck to single player only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It might work in a sort of Splinter Cell co-op kinda way? I can't see how it'd otherwise work, never mind work well.

Oh F**K OFF with your multiplayer nobody wants it and it won`t add as much longevity as the Challenge maps will.
    What moron thought a good idea for MP in a Batman game would be to kill Batman?
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Agreed. Why can't single player games just stay single player? The same thing that always happens in this situation will happen:

It'll take me a few days to finish the single-player, maybe even a week. By the time I eventually get to try multiplayer, people who've been playing it a lot since the start will be far better and hugely levelled up, meaning it'll be too hard and I'll just not bother playing it. Which means that effectively half the game and half the future DLC will be worthless to me. Plus it means about a third of the trophies will be multiplayer ones, meaning I won't have the urge I did with the other Batman games to try for the Platinum.

Why do they have to shoe-horn multiplayer into every game? If it's a money thing, release more single-player DLC.

Exactly what Penn said. I won't be touching MP until the game is complete and find I'm always behind and grinding to level up. My biggest problem with it is the possible trophies. Asylum and City are my most coveted Platinum's. MP trophies are not fun and can be impossible without getting help from people online (can't think of the word that's called).

Anyway, this could be okay and will have to wait to see but I think they have their hands full with the HUGE task of making a GOTY single player, why bog themselves down with an MP mode?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's disappointing about the multiplayer. The only time I've seen it reasonably well implemented was Resi 5 where you were stuck with a partner anyway. Valve did an excellent job implementing it in Portal 2 but like many I see no reason to slap it onto every game, especially those like MGS4 and Bioshock 2 where people only really want the single player campaign.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think I might wait until the game comes out before deciding if it having multiplayer is such a huge sin. It may be crap, but it may also be awesome. Think what it would be like for a group of people trying to take each other out on a map the size of Arkham City. There's a lot of possibilities to it, and it having multiplayer doesn't necessarily mean that the singleplayer will suffer because of it.

I thought Portal 2 having multiplayer wasn't going to work, and it turned out to be quite fun. And has multiplayer even been officially announced here?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tampler

0zLhWPw.png

Outlook not so good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

tampler wrote: »
    0zLhWPw.png

i found his voice to be very cheesy
    so i dont mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

tampler wrote: »
    0zLhWPw.png

It depends how much younger Batman is in this game. I'd obviously prefer Conroy, but if he's way younger then another actor might work.

Regarding multiplayer; I don't really care. I've been ignoring tacked-on multiplayer modes since Bioshock 2. It'll annoy me a little that I won't be getting all the achievements, but I'll get over it. A co-op multiplayer (with Robin or Nightwing) could work really well, but I reckon this game could be set too early in Batman's career for Robin. I'd be okay with Dick appearing as Robin though! Or even Jason, since there were loads of hints that Red Hood could be the villain in Arkham 3. Origins could set that up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    i found his voice to be very cheesy
    so i dont mind

:eek:

Conroy is the best Batman imo. I've loved his portrayal ever since the animated series. I don't think it's at all cheesy.

I seen that earlier and thought that this game is already looking like the bástard child of Arkham games.
    I hope the handheld games are some good cause there is mainly things to make me worry about the console title. :(

• Advertisement

Conroy is a big loss but definitely liking the look of this. New screenshots and artwork

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/403588/batman-arkham-origins-screens-and-art-a-darker-knight/

image_300914_thumb_wide940.jpg

Advertisement