Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AvantCard - MBNA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 j3nk0s

Ok, heres a good one I made a payment to MBNA on 16th March in the post office, worried now it did not go through. Tried to ring them this again now and it comes up . "the phone has been switched off by the user please try to send a text message".

Worried now that the payment did not go through

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

j3nk0s wrote: »
    Ok, heres a good one I made a payment to MBNA on 16th March in the post office, worried now it did not go through. Tried to ring them this again now and it comes up . "the phone has been switched off by the user please try to send a text message".

Worried now that the payment did not go through

I just called 0818409511 and was greeted with an option for an automatic system which after entering my credit card number and my date of birth gave me information about my balance, last statement and payment due (but not credit limit or available funds). But at least there seams to be some progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cruisej

No cash saturday, no online payments monday, no website, no phone contact, card invalid, customer service zero. Thanks MBNA and Avant you really know how to treat your customers. I'm off elsewhere. Stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Thanks Dublin-T. I just rang 0818409511, yup my card is still alive, just inputted my card number and DOB and got my balance as of the 11th of March, I guess thats when they started to transfer our cards over to Avant.

Dont panic people, give it a few days for them to get it all up and running, will all be back to normal soon, deep breaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭SteM

I just called 0818409511 and was greeted with an option for an automatic system which after entering my credit card number and my date of birth gave me information about my balance, last statement and payment due (but not credit limit or available funds). But at least there seams to be some progress.

That's more than I was getting this morning at least. It was not recognising my CC number then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I am due to make a payment this week, if the website is still not back up what is the best way to make a payment (I've only ever paid this way), can you do it in the post office?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 j3nk0s

Ok Got through they said Post office should be ok it was just a "name change" on the account. But my payment was still not received and thats why they knocked my card off.

My guess would be post office and keep the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

SteM wrote: »
    Are they sending out new cards to all of their customers? I haven't received an new one yet.

Do you people not read mail? MBNA / Avantcard have sent out letters outlining how the changeover will take take place. Cards will be replaced in phases, as they expire.
    I've got a new MBNA card early in March - activated it over the phone (its on the card), just not sure whether this is MBNA replacement card (why do it before changeover), or the new Avantcard (branded as MBNA, not Avantcard).
    As for unable to process payment to the card - should have expected that there may be difficulties at changeover, and paid in early - thats what I did.
    Big changeovers seldom go smooth, as it was noted previously, and I was expecting this! However, I'm not saying its normal, of course they should have done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭SteM

birchtree wrote: »
    Do you people not read mail?

No need to get your knickers in a twist. It was a simple question that required a simple Yes or No answer. If the question bothered you that much you didn't have to reply. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Are they sending out new cards to all of their customers? I haven't received an new one yet.

Only when your existing card expires.
    If you go to www.mbna.co.uk (yes the UK site) and you log on (with your Irish username/pass) you will see that the account comes up as closed there (0€ credit line) possibly with a small outstanding balance (i.e. last open payment from your last bill).

Tried that earlier, and got "Currently, there are no accounts registered for this user ID. In order to proceed, please register an account." So it's possible the migration of data is taking longer than expected and some folks are still live on MBNA's system while others have been moved off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Galway 11

I wish they would hurry up about it. It's crazy that this is happening. I have been trying all day to access site and log in, utter waste of time. It's a total shambles. Why they won't even update website and let people know when it's likely to be up and running or let people register over the phone. It's a terrible service. I wasted all my credit this morning trying to get through. I hope they aren't going to have the cheek to charge people late fees etc because of their cock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Morg1969

Yes, one wonders how can they run a credit card business if they are not able to set up and run the support services? :-)

Will we face similar situation like Ulster Bank customers did last year messing up the IT background because of incompetency...?

This is the 21st century, one would expect that the online banking was set up and functioning when the take-over of the credit cards have been done.... and do not come with "any changover..." they did notify us ages back thus they had ample time to set everything up instead of making us become upset :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The landing page on their website looks incredibly amateur. Have been checking it regularly to try and get a look at the credit card balance!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

Now my mbna card profile on mbna.ie has been completely removed and on next page I was given an option to register a card on mbna.ie which I didnt

Morg1969 wrote: »

This is the 21st century, one would expect that the online banking was set up and functioning when the take-over of the credit cards have been done.... and do not come with "any changover..." they did notify us ages back thus they had ample time to set everything up instead of making us become upset :-P

I think anyone who has worked on large scale projects like this will agree to disagree. You can plan, and plan, and plan but when the day comes, you're thankful when it all goes right. More often than not it can also go horribly wrong. Just ask some of the airlines that switched reservations systems in the last few years, and the passengers travelling with them on the day/days after ;)

I do understand what you're saying and I can agree with it in general... but==>

- appropriate and timely response (IT section at ready to rectify any potential issues, glitches)
    - adequate communication towards the customers.

Nothing makes customers feel more abandoned and nothing makes them feel more angry/ annoyed than lack of information, lack of communication.

Most of the posts here are complaining about the lack of information about the uncertainty. If there would be some information posted on the website like:
    - you can expect the site up and running by ...
    - if you miss a repayment due to the non-functionality of this web site - you will not be cherged extra, there will not be any penalty/ extra fee or similar.

You have to assure your customers that if your service faces difficulties they would not be penalised for that.
    I went paperless with MBNA - and my bank account- ages back and I always do online banking and I believe that there are others in similar situation also. For us this non-functional web-site is just garbage, mocking pile of sh*t...

I tried to contact Avantcard on the phone number displayed and all I got was 15 minutes of listening of music... That's not good enough I think.

Summarising: by my opinion the issue is not the non-functionality of the web-site but the lack of information, lack of assurance.

Oh, I'm not diagreeing - the communication has been pretty poor. If they could put that crappy page up, they could at least update it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Not really liking the vibe of avantcard at all. If you look at the Spanish site it seems they aren't offering cards anymore. I was hoping with new owners they'd try and make a go of it again, maybe offer reward or premium cards with extras for a fee etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Will this shower still issue paper statements and allow you pay at the post office! If not, Adios Avantcard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Login seems to be up, I just registered and logged in. They have the right balance but are missing recent transactions and statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

omahaid wrote: »
    Login seems to be up, I just registered and logged in. They have the right balance but are missing recent transactions and statements.

Login pages may be up but I cannot register no matter what password I choose, I've read the password rules and all variations of password comply with them, yet its still saying they are invalid. A further 25 minutes on hold to their customer service number and I'm told some people have registered this morning, and they don't know why I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Just an FYI - Registering worked for me on IE but would not work on Google Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

brettmirl wrote: »
    Just an FYI - Registering worked for me on IE but would not work on Google Chrome.

I was using Safari and Firefox on a Mac, neither would work. If I use IE on a Windows 7 PC I can eventually register, but only if I don't use 2 consecutive characters, even though the password rules state "No more than two consecutive identical characters." So maybe the browser makes no difference, its just the rules listed are wrong.

It's getting better every day ;-)

I have just tried to register (first time - thus there should not be any data in their system).
    I got the following error message: "Sorry - The information provided does not match our records. "

I have entered my credit card details correctly (the one the have sent me out recently and I have activated last week), I entered my date of birth definitely correctly and gave the last 6 digits of my phone number....

I wonder if it's my shoe size or shirt they have incorrectly ....or what else?

Now I am listening to music - I wonder how much I'll be charged for it - while waiting for a customer care agent 10 minutes now and ticking ...

I think the time is approaching when we will be bothering the Bank Regulator or the National Consumer Agency...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 boneill82

keep getting im trying to register an inactive card. was activated 2 weeks ago

Finally... managed to register using Internet Explorer but not Firefox.
    After that I could login using Firefox also.

I hope that their services will be more reliable than their web-site (or web- sh|te) at the beginning :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Their online banking worked this morning, got registered no hassle.

It looks like MBNA's online banking, but without some of the branding and a slightly sloppier layout, but I suspect it's the same underlying system which always looked a bit rough anyway.

On the plus side, they are now accepting Visa Debit for payment online, which is something MBNA.ie didn't seem to bother updating to.

Downsides:
    Looks like the An Post swipe & pay system's gone!
    Almost none of the online services, other than payment are currently working - you can't even see recent transactions *lol* ... This lot are great!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

boneill82 wrote: »
    keep getting im trying to register an inactive card. was activated 2 weeks ago

Same here, my card has been active since January 2011, not due to expire until October 2013!

On hold the last 10 mins, that stupid robot talking machine is doing my nut in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

quenching wrote: »
    I was using Safari and Firefox on a Mac, neither would work. If I use IE on a Windows 7 PC I can eventually register, but only if I don't use 2 consecutive characters, even though the password rules state "No more than two consecutive identical characters." So maybe the browser makes no difference, its just the rules listed are wrong.

I'm actually getting the Register page on IE, whereas on Chrome I was getting the 'check back soon to register' page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It worked fine for me on both Chrome and Safari on a Mac.

Make sure you refresh the page, as you could be seeing a cached version with the error message.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement