Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blogger meets his Troll

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

First story about Chris Andrews IP hacking doesn't jibe with second.
    The second says "spent in total five to six hours spread over several months on this discovery". In my opinion the stories match up okay.
    Commenter using Leo Traynor name says Leo Traynor done it. Then, a few days later out comes a report putting it down to Eddy Carroll's tech genius.

Ah yes, it does appear that Eddy may not have been publicly named at the time of that Leo Traynor comment on broadsheet.

Jesus, this guy has you all by the balls.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TrulyCrazyLady

Jesus, this guy has you all by the balls.
    :pac:

i don't have balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

areyawell wrote: »
    I come from an IT background. No one can trace an IP address from a twitter comment unless they work for twitter and even then only a small minority who work for twitter have access to that information.

You need to reread the article, the IP address was traced through a private blog.

Ok, what if someone was taking heat for illegally gaining tracing the Chris Andrews IP to the internet cafe. After all, you could be prosecuted for accessing that data illegally.

Then to create a diversion, they spun this crazy story about the teenage troll?

Wild I know but...

• Advertisement

i don't have balls.

I could lend you mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Ok, what if someone was taking heat for illegally gaining tracing the Chris Andrews IP to the internet cafe. After all, you could be prosecuted for accessing that data illegally.
    I posted this in a comment earlier today at Resist Radio, which has a good summary of all the questions people have been asking about Leo's story. In short, the IP address assigned to the Internet cafe in the case of Chris Andrews was a publicly registered static IP address - you can see the details for it online at RIPE.net here.

(Had a private residential Internet account been used instead of a public Internet cafe, it would have been much more difficult, if not impossible, to track down the author.)

On another subject, perhaps you might like to share whether or not you've recently come to the Internet, or are a more experienced user who created the TrulyCrazyLady persona purely to post on this thread?

Tenshot wrote: »

On another subject, perhaps you might like to share whether or not you've recently come to the Internet, or are a more experienced user who created the TrulyCrazyLady persona purely to post on this thread?

Experienced user interested in urban myths, media gullibility therefore this topic. Not Irish.

Hello, it's me again. I wanted to revisit this story and see if anyone had any new information.

Paul Clarke posted this interesting piece earlier in the week: http://paulclarke.com/honestlyreal/2012/10/for-whom-the-bell-trolls/

One of Leo's big defenders -- a woman who goes by the name of Fiona Hanley -- attempted to try and have a lawyer friend identify Leo, who it turns out is not Leo after all. Surprise, surprise.

In my mind the whole passport ID strategy (see comments on Paul Clarke post) raises more issues than it answers.

For reasons unknown, there are a group of people doing everything they can to ensure that the identity of Leo Traynor stays hidden. They don't seem to be believe it's relevant that his fantastical story was marketed to the world as something written by a person named Leo Traynor, not an unknown person using the Leo Traynor pseudonym.

In any case if anyone would like to share any information about this with me privately, I can be reached at my pseudonymous email: josiexmiller@gmail.com

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I shouldn't really care about this I would love to know if that story is true or does Traynor even exist. Evidence looks bad alright but Evert Bopp and Darragh Doyle claim to have met him in real life so I'll take their word for it. They've been around the Internet for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Evert Bopp.. because he'd never tell a lie!

Did the other guy actually say he has met him in real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Apart from a horror story i read this is the second best post i have read in my life. true life crime is always interesting glad this one turned out resolved

With all due respect georgiecasey, Everett Bopp is what you find when you look up bull****ter in the dictionary.

What I have noticed is that a lot, if not all, of those claiming to have met Leo Traynor IRL parse their language quite carefully and avoid the pseudonym question.

All this silly cloak and dagger stuff raises an even bigger question in my mind, namely why on earth are so many people behaving in such a ridiculous fashion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

All this silly cloak and dagger stuff raises an even bigger question in my mind, namely why on earth are so many people behaving in such a ridiculous fashion?
    http://the-tap.blogspot.ie/2012/10/confessions-of-ex-shill-theyre-real.html

Not working for me, Whitesands.But thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Works for me, scroll down & read the text.

I'm not sure what you mean but I'm guessing you're suggesting Leo Traynor was a bought and paid for shill for Israel.

If that's the case, your theory doesn't work for me. Sorry.

If it's something else, then I've failed to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

PC CDROM wrote: »
    This reminded me of something.. anyone seen 6th about these days?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

any updates on whether leo traynor was real or not?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

This was all a creative writing exercise for writing a parable, wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Robbo wrote: »
    This was all a creative writing exercise for writing a parable, wasn't it?

That's my take on it. Never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

That's my take on it. Never happened.

Surprised to see this thread again. It really was the biggest load of nonsense. The amount of press that it got at the time because columnists and journalists were incapable of casting a critical eye over it and seeing it for the piece of fantasy that it was. I suppose it fitted in with a lot agendas that people had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Self-important blogger that no-one's ever heard of.
    Who gives a flying ****? Would be my question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

He strikes me as a giant f*cking baby. "Crying over sleeping forms of his family" indeed. I'd die of embarrassment before putting my name to that.

Total sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Self-important blogger that no-one's ever heard of.
    Who gives a flying ****? Would be my question

It went all over the interwebs one day about a year and a half ago, giving many people on the net a chance to wring their hands and tell us all how horrible other people online are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Surprised to see this thread again. It really was the biggest load of nonsense. The amount of press that it got at the time because columnists and journalists were incapable of casting a critical eye over it and seeing it for the piece of fantasy that it was. I suppose it fitted in with a lot agendas that people had.
    You'd have to wonder, with the alleged "verification" of Traynor that it wasn't a composite creation of a group of media types. To what end, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Why would the parents be so quick to call the police? Wouldnt he need admin access to twitters servers to track his ip too?
    Looks like a work of fiction.

Advertisement