Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sliced my finger with a mandolin slicer -Help !

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

If you lose a lot of blood make sure you know your blood type so the doctors are informed if any transfusion required. Better safe than sorry.

If you lose a lot of blood make sure you know your blood type so the doctors are informed if any transfusion required. Better safe than sorry.

This is an excellent point. You should order a home testing kit online and find out your blood type before you go to the hospital. Save lots of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

It's. a. cut. finger. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

jos28 wrote: »
    Lobbed a slice off my thumb 3 hours ago, I eventually managed to stop the bleeding by throwing flour on it (found the tip online). The flour really worked but what do I do now ? If I try and wash the HUGE cut it will start to bleed again. Help please !!

Ouch :(

You should really contact a Doctor, nurse or A&E, jos.

Hope it doesn't hurt much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ooh are they the ones they were selling today in aldi? Are they good? Did you buy the potato ricer aswell?

They had a potato ricer?! Goddammit, can't believe I missed that one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Pottler wrote: »
    It's. a. cut. finger. :confused:
    I cut my finger once, it got infected and the junior doctor wanted wanted to amputate my arm at the elbow.

Thankfully got a second opinion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Ok, it's now washed carefully with warm water and tcp and bleeding did not start again. No loss of sensation to report, I have put a couple of steri strips and a dressing on. I reckon I will live. I will have a can of Guinness to help counteract the blood loss. Oh and the potato ricer is brilliant and I can't even cut myself with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

Skid wrote: »
    Ouch :(

You should really contact a Doctor, nurse or A&E, jos OR UNDERTAKER

Hope it doesn't hurt much.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Nobody has said it but:

Firstly wash it with an antiseptic wipe to get the dirt out of it.

Then put a bandage around it, if the cut isn't huge use a plaster.

Consult a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I eventually managed to stop the bleeding by throwing flour on it (found the tip online).

My girlfriend saw this piece of advice and followed it too. Ended up with a yeast infection.

Baboom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

My mum did this recently, never even knew what a mandalin was until I discovered. She did go to A&E and they bandaged it up and wern't too concerned. The good news is the fingers will likely grow back fine with only minor scarring (but you should go to A&E/hospital to get this confirmed, as if it sliced the bone I doubt you'd be so lucky), the bad news is they will be very sensitive for months. Mum sliced 3 fingers I think, and even the simplist of tasks like lifting stuff, cooking, doing the shopping etc she needed assitance. Was well over 3 months it took my mums fingers to get back to norm, anyways best of luck and bin the mandalin :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

And here's me thinking a Mandolin was an instrument

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

yoyo wrote: »
    My mum did this recently, never even knew what a mandalin was until I discovered. She did go to A&E and they bandaged it up and wern't too concerned. The good news is the fingers will likely grow back fine with only minor scarring (but you should go to A&E/hospital to get this confirmed, as if it sliced the bone I doubt you'd be so lucky), the bad news is they will be very sensitive for months. Mum sliced 3 fingers I think, and even the simplist of tasks like lifting stuff, cooking, doing the shopping etc she needed assitance. Was well over 3 months it took my mums fingers to get back to norm, anyways best of luck and bin the mandalin :)

Nick
    Your poor Mum, my injury was nowhere near as bad. I did not slice the bone thankfully. Mandolin will be going in the bin !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

You could slip as easily with a knife, then you'd really be banjo d.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Your poor Mum, my injury was nowhere near as bad. I did not slice the bone thankfully. Mandolin will be going in the bin !

Yeah it was a horrible expierience for her alright. she couldn't even drive for a month or more after which was also a inconvenience. For those that don't know what a mandolin is its a vegetable slicer, with a flat top and a razor blade on it. you swipe a vegetable over the blade and it cuts it thinly.
    They usually have a safety "cover" which covers the vegetable meaning contact with the blade shouldn't happen, this happened to slip in my mums case (and I'm sure shes not the only one) and caused sliced fingers to appear with the potatoes :P.
    Not a nice expierience but with only one finger sliced it shouldn't be as bad, but do get it checked if unsure

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Why would you slice a mandolin in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

And here's me thinking a Mandolin was an instrument
    It's an instrument of death and carnage by the sounds of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

What, are we just going to magically heal it for you? Go the A&E if its that bad. Its not something worth calling an ambulance over though,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i lopped off a slice of my thumb with a razor once :rolleyes:
    still have a scar

anyway clean it and wrap it up, be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

This probably counts as (terrible) medical advice so .... Locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement