Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First grey hair and lack of motivation.

• 26-02-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Well after many months of putting it off I have decided to start my own log I am not usually good at this sort of thing so you will have to bear with me,;).

Background.

I have been running now for about a year its something I decided to take up after many years of inactivity due to no fault but my own. But now I have found a love of running. I find there is nothing better then heading out after work and been able to run a few miles, a year ago I would not have ran anywhere. So my p.b times are:

10k - 50 mins ( I hope for 47 mins before the end of the year)
    Half marathon - 1.50 (Goal for 2012 is 1.45 )
    Marathon - 4.43 (Goal for 2012 is 3.59)

Now I know that 3.59 is very ambitious but I reckon I can do it with proper training and effort, when I finished last years marathon I felt like I didn't do it justice and it was a case of job half done.

So what better time to start a log and yes I have found my first gray hair and thanks to Nules without her asking this log would never have happened. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck with the log and goals Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Cheers Shazkea

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

best of luck dave, sub 4 no problem for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Ah great stuff Dave. Welcome to the club.... The grey haired one and the log one :D best of luck with the goals no bother to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Dave

Best of luck with it. As you have a 1:50 half, get some Long miles into you and you will easily break 4.

• Advertisement

ger664 wrote: »
    Dave

Best of luck with it. As you have a 1:50 half, get some Long miles into you and you will easily break 4.

thanks ger was hoping for under 4 last year but it was one of those days and I didnt do enough training

3.5 miles @ 9.45 pace

Was hoping to do a few extra miles today but the lad who I was running with was not feeling the best so we decided to cut it short. Feel now that I didn't get a lot done but its better then nothing on the plus side I felt very comfortable and could have pushed it much quicker.

Hope to do maybe 6 miles tomorrow evening at maybe 9 minute pace. This week training will be over the place as I am making a trip to the big smoke this weekend to see Florence and the machine.

For anyone who care I follow Ecoli training schedule which he posts on the - DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge log.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Best of luck with the new log Dave. I like the title!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

With a sub 1'50 half, a sub 4 marathon is definitely there for the taking.
    Best of luck with the log (yeah, that nules one can be very bossy alright) and the goals.

jcsmum wrote: »
    With a sub 1'50 half, a sub 4 marathon is definitely there for the taking.
    Best of luck with the log (yeah, that nules one can be very bossy alright) and the goals.

I simply forced encouraged him :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Jcsmum. Will be hoping for a sub 1.50 at the Ballina half marathon in May.
    Nules was just trying to open my eyes to the delights of having my own log. But it did feel like Cyber bullying:):):):):):)

6 miles @ 8.52 pace

Mile 1 - 8.53
    Mile 2 - 9.04
    Mile 3 - 8.57
    Mile 4 - 8.39
    Mile 5 - 8.56
    Mile 6 - 8.42
    Total - 53.13

Felt very strong and the breathing was controlled all the way only the last mile the legs felt heavy.

Nice to get a good run for a change and the weather was lovely which helped.

7.5 miles @ 9.18
    Splits:
    1 9:02.0
    2 9:07.8
    3 8:57.8
    4 8:25.4
    5 9:31.4
    6 10:01.8
    7 10:01.9
    8 3:13.7

A run of two halves but very enjoyable was so nice to get out in the nice weather. Did the first 4.5 miles on my own at about 8.45 then meet a friend for the last 3 a bit slower.

Need to start drinking more water especially on warmer days was very dehydrate when I finished and felt a bit sick.
    Need to pick a race soon.

Plan for the week is

5 mile - Tuesday
    Gym -Wednesday
    6 mile - Thursday
    7 mile - Friday.

A lot going on at the moment between trying to buy a house, learning to drive (I know I should be driving already) and nights out (stag weekend this weekend running is taking a back seat for a few weeks. Hope to be back at it fully after Paddy's weekend and start pushing hard for a 1.48 in Ballina.

Hey dave good luck with the house... exciting times... you will be busy doing that up, that can be your cross training ;)

Thanks Nules never mind exciting times its more like stressful times I am using running as a stress relief find it great in the evening to go out and clear the head.

4.5 miles @ 9.30

Much slower that what I wanted to do but the weather was a nightmare bloody wind and rain it was also so cold.
    Think I am entering the Wexford 10k in April as a warm up for the half marathon in May

Took a few days break partly because I was at a Stag. Back at it tomorrow (6 miles), Wednesday (7 miles), Thursday (3 miles) and maybe Saturday (5k race).

Feel so guilty for the few days off and boy did I do everything I was trying not to (drinking & smoking). But its a new week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hey Dave, Welcome to the Wonderful world of logging...

best of luck with the log and the goals for this year. We have very similar goals. Nules is great for the encouragement for starting logs.....think there must be commission for her in it somewhere;) but have to say it great having a log, as it encourages you to get out most of the time if you are not really in the mood!!!!
    Plus the Boardsies are great for giving advice on your log as they can see how things are going in one place!!

Cheers Anne, I blame Nules for everything.

Decided to do 4 miles quick today instead just to see what kind of shape I was in. Did the 4 miles in 35 minutes. It was tough going. Will try 6/7 tomorrow and will wait until Friday to see about the race

Cheers Anne, I blame Nules for everything.

Decided to do 4 miles quick today instead just to see what kind of shape I was in. Did the 4 miles in 35 minutes. It was tough going. Will try 6/7 tomorrow and will wait until Friday to see about the race

Ahh i am used to getting the blame :D Hope the house is sorted. You are ticking over nicely

• Advertisement

6 miles @ 8.46 pace

Felt good could have pushed it a bit faster if needed. Looking forward to a race now. If not this weekend the hard training starts from next week.

Nules don't talk to me about the house and in other red face news I may have gotten some potentially excellent news this evening

Buying a house can be so drawn out you wonder why you bother at the time... will be worth it in the end. Great that you have some other potentially good news... i am intrigued nosy now :D

I cant tell at this moment. Buying a house its the worst thing in the world we are trying to build so waiting on the bank now fingers crossed

Back at the running today. Left the garmin at home and did a very easy 4 miles felt good to be back running again.

Going for my first training session with Portlaoise AC tomorrow night.

Hope I don't make a fool of myself.

Good to see you back at it Dave. You will do great at the running club tomorrow just don't fall over ;)

What did you say that for now it will be stuck in my head:). Just as along, I am not laps behind everyone else I will be happy

:D just make sure you double knot your laces. You won't be laps behind everyone else.... Go and enjoy it and feck what everyone else thinks :) just DON'T fall :D:D ahh I am kidding Oh god I hope you don't fall

Imagine I do and twist an ankle.

If I do, your ears will be burning.

Should be good fun.

:eek: oh flip don't say that. Please don't fall. I will be anxiously awaiting a full report tomorrow evening. Maybe you shouldn't go to the club :D:D

• Advertisement

Ha ha.

Advertisement