Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metro St Brigids 5k Dublin city centre - March 18

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

3 stars (average)
    Timmaay wrote: »
    I would rate most club races higher then the likes of the national lotto race series, most big commercial races as such tend to be forced to compromise in the course etc due to their size, and then there's the hassle of parking/overcrowding etc. There are plenty of 5k club races coming up over the next few months, in the Kidare/Wicklow/Meath area, my own club holds a fit4life series, and the next two races are both 5ks http://www.slicualann.com/fit4life-league.html, only 5quid entry also! (don't expect a goodiebag/tshirt tho ha!)
    Thanks for the link. A fiver is fantastic! I'm in Dublin and don't drive so those might be tricky for me to get to but I love the idea and I think I just felt my horizons expand.:D

I had felt a little wary of smaller club races as I have a (false?) sense of safety in numbers for the bigger races. I might be wrong but I have the impression that the bigger/higher profile the race, the more likely there is to be a broader mix of abilities and so I am less likely to come last! :o I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I find the lure of tshirts and goodie bags or any kind of race loot in general quite appealing when it comes to signing up for something, it's like a bribe and since this is so new to me, every little souvenir is a real badge of honour for me! Once I'm actually running in the race though I couldn't care less and have the feeling that I just want to do this again and again!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Check out the race calendar. Most of the races listed there have discussion threads, so you'll be able to find out more about them - how to get there, the standard, what the course is like, etc.
    In Dublin over the next couple of months you have the Samsung 10k, the Terenure 5 mile, Donore Harriers will probably be running a 5k at the end of May, plus there's all the BHAA races...

3 stars (average)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Check out the race calendar. Most of the races listed there have discussion threads, so you'll be able to find out more about them - how to get there, the standard, what the course is like, etc.
    In Dublin over the next couple of months you have the Samsung 10k, the Terenure 5 mile, Donore Harriers will probably be running a 5k at the end of May, plus there's all the BHAA races...
    Thanks Ray, I've been looking at the Terenure 5 mile and will look at the others too. Just took the plunge and entered the Great Ireland Run (did it years ago mostly walking and I really liked the atmosphere). Was the Terenure 5m previously in or around Walkinstown for part of it? I think I might have done it years ago (again mostly walking). So anyone can enter the BHAA races? Am afraid I'm too slow and everyone would have gone home by the time I finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Yeah, the Terenure 5 mile used to start in Walkinstown, they've changed the route this year.
    The BHAA races are 15 euro for non-members, or you can join for 15 euro and race for 10. The average time in the BHAA races tends to be faster all right, but there are plenty of people at the slow end too (and they usually get a big cheer coming in)

3 stars (average)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, the Terenure 5 mile used to start in Walkinstown, they've changed the route this year.
    The BHAA races are 15 euro for non-members, or you can join for 15 euro and race for 10. The average time in the BHAA races tends to be faster all right, but there are plenty of people at the slow end too (and they usually get a big cheer coming in)
    Big cheer eh? That sounds better than a goodie bag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

4 stars (good)
    http://www.womensmeetandtrain.blogspot.com/

Gnu, you should check these races out (assuming you're female !!). Great value, lovely atmosphere and tea n biccies after. Perfect for those new to the racing scene as all levels catered for.

3 stars (average)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    http://www.womensmeetandtrain.blogspot.com/

Gnu, you should check these races out (assuming you're female !!). Great value, lovely atmosphere and tea n biccies after. Perfect for those new to the racing scene as all levels catered for.

Yes, I''m female all right and I've got the sports bra to prove it! They sound great ...and not just cos of the tea and biccies! :D And the prices look good too. Thanks a mill, really appreciate your help (and everyone else's).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Luke McMullan

Really enjoyed the race, smashing weather too. New PB of 16:35, 16 seconds faster than Rás UCD :) Were there any photos taken during the race and if there was, would somebody be able to link them? Many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 expato

Yes v well organised for most part.

Can I make some observations.

1. Championship chip timing but the only place to find chip times is on champion chip website which seems a bit crazy.
    2. The race clock was invisible at the finish line. Maybe that was just me.
    3. No point in having categories if there was no acknowledgement anywhere of who won what category. Even the summation on MSBAC.ie was cursory.
    4. T Shirt was poor.
    5 Stewarding excellent
    6. Kids entertainment excellent
    7 Buzz in mansion House great
    8 Plenty of toilets
    9 Great to run in city
    10 Noon perfect start time

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭tonyangelino

expato wrote: »

1. Championship chip timing but the only place to find chip times is on champion chip website which seems a bit crazy.
    3. No point in having categories if there was no acknowledgement anywhere of who won what category. Even the summation on MSBAC.ie was cursory.
    4. T Shirt was poor.
    5 Stewarding excellent
    8 Plenty of toilets
    9 Great to run in city

Well said-i agree with the T-shirt and goodybag a bit of a joke especially after paying 20e. Otherwise a great 5k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

expato wrote: »

4. T Shirt was poor.
    5 Stewarding excellent
    8 Plenty of toilets
    9 Great to run in city

Times were posted on MSB web site before they appeared on mine, people were in a hurry to see the chip times so I put them up on mine later.

The race clock was to your left as you approached the finish, with a blow up finish structure they could not hang it.

I also had my LED screen facing back into the finish area on the right of the finish with names and times flashing up as you finished.

Good to see all the positive feedback about this race and the 5k's at Rathfarnham and UCD. All 3 races well organised and timed by ChampionChip Ireland so you know you would get results unlike the poor sods at Portlaoise, Blackwater in Monaghan and a number of other events I have been told about that have used inferior systems.

We are at Terranure also in May and will have the full kit out again inc the Ipad for the commentator so they can read out names as you approach the finish line and have your moment of glory.

Advertisement