Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish (Leaving Cert 2012)

• 03-10-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Just wondering what people think about the new Irish Paper, Layout etc? Whilst at first look it appears a lot more "student friendly" with a lot of the material cut down from the old course, there is basically no choice on the paper, particularly Paper 2. The Sample paper was interesting in seeing how the questions would be layed out.

Just wondering what the people in Leaving cert feel about the course, OR anybody who is repeating this year and is trying to fit in with the new stories and poems if you are not doing the Prós Ainmnithe/Filíocht Ainmnithe course.

The Oral requires a lot more now, particularly student engagment with the examiner, and the picture sequence addition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

20 Picture Sequences are wayyyyyyyyyyyy to much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

I do definetly agree with that, 20 is a lot and then they get changed every year is a bit stupid too, especially for eople who buy the books for the Oral with each described. Will only be usable for one year. But in terms of revising and just before going in, i can imagine it being stressful flicking through the 20 of them, paniking that you will mix one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I don't like it personally. I don't see why the comprehensions are now on Paper 2? There is going to be a lot of free time in Paper One seeing as they're cutting down on the amount of listens in the listening etc. Aswell, I think it's ridiculous that the sample papers haven't been released yet!

It is just letting down the whole system, and we're the ones going to suffer :/:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

It's the first year, they'll go easy on us! They have to!

• Advertisement

If not, we're just going to have a big rant on this! :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

20 pictures is far too many, no other language has near that many.

I still haven't seen the new papers, the department seems very disorganized.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

M&S* wrote: »
    I don't like it personally. I don't see why the comprehensions are now on Paper 2? There is going to be a lot of free time in Paper One seeing as they're cutting down on the amount of listens in the listening etc. Aswell, I think it's ridiculous that the sample papers haven't been released yet!

I have seen the Sample Papers so they must be out. They were sent to schools last week so they should be available on the SEC website.

Edit: just checked, They are available on the SEC website, for each level, and also a sample sound file for the cluastuiscint also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

I have seen the Sample Papers so they must be out. They were sent to schools last week so they should be available on the SEC website.

Edit: just checked, They are available on the SEC website, for each level, and also a sample sound file for the cluastuiscint also.
    Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

http://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ex&sc=ga

After looking at the sample papers, I'm so happy.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ellen94_

I would love the new course if my teacher wasn't a blundering idiot... :P was aiming for a HA1, now HB2 thanks to the lazy bitch....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Heheusofuni

The change of course is alright !however I have such a bad teacher that we have done two essay since fifth year, two comprehensions ,bearly any tape ! We spend most of our time sorry I mean he spends most of our Irish class translating the book word for WORD ! And for any irish teacher reading this , NO student learns from a teacher just translating ! Ya the new course is okay but personally I think if there is a change in course there should also be a strong influence on re-educating Irish teachers -apologies for the rant -LC student !

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

The change of course is alright !however I have such a bad teacher that we have done two essay since fifth year, two comprehensions ,bearly any tape ! We spend most of our time sorry I mean he spends most of our Irish class translating the book word for WORD ! And for any irish teacher reading this , NO student learns from a teacher just translating ! Ya the new course is okay but personally I think if there is a change in course there should also be a strong influence on re-educating Irish teachers -apologies for the rant -LC student !

Don't tar all Irish teachers with the one brush! Re-educating? :confused:.
    Not all teachers are the same and that goes for any subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

The new course is a step in the right direction. The old course still gives me nightmares:eek: i'm so jealous of the people doing it this year. I still think it needs to be like french and german but at least theres improvement, i think alot more will be doing hl irish now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Agree 100%!
    Sunny!! wrote: »
    The new course is a step in the right direction. The old course still gives me nightmares:eek: i'm so jealous of the people doing it this year. I still think it needs to be like french and german but at least theres improvement, i think alot more will be doing hl irish now:)
    Even the new course gives me nightmares, god help those who did the old course!

Agree 100%!

Even the new course gives me nightmares, god help those who did the old course!

the time it used to take up, and the 10 poems i think it was? and the stair na gaeilge:(, turned me off the subject i once loved

the time it used to take up, and the 10 poems i think it was? and the stair na gaeilge:(, turned me off the subject i once loved

God, the 5 poems that we have to do now kills me </3

God, the 5 poems that we have to do now kills me </3

I couldnt handle the stair at all it wrecked my head, and that stupid fecking novel!

I couldnt handle the stair at all it wrecked my head, and that stupid fecking novel!

What was so bad about the stair? We have to do a novel this year too :/

• Advertisement

What was so bad about the stair? We have to do a novel this year too :/

pure rote learning, hadnt a clue what it was, writing 5 points on each of the poets, etc horrific for only 30 marks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Heheusofuni

:mad:
    gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Don't tar all Irish teachers with the one brush! Re-educating? :confused:.
    Not all teachers are the same and that goes for any subject.

Okay I know I shouldn't be so harsh but it's just so annoying having Irish everyday and not learning anything -I just needed the rant !

pure rote learning, hadnt a clue what it was, writing 5 points on each of the poets, etc horrific for only 30 marks
    Sounds horrendous :/
    :mad:

Okay I know I shouldn't be so harsh but it's just so annoying having Irish everyday and not learning anything -I just needed the rant !
    I agree with you, I don't learn anything in Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 haro123

I dont know what yous are on about . Its the easiest Higher level subject !

haro123 wrote: »
    I dont know what yous are on about . Its the easiest Higher level subject !

Ahh would ya feck off! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I sorta disagree with the not learning from translating, what else are they to do? We did An Triail and just translated it really, she gives us some phrases too of course, and we translate the book for poems/prose, then for an triail q's and essays she gives us tons of notes, helps us translate them and we make our own essays. It works fine :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

Our teacher translates prose/poems/novel which has to be done gives comprehensive consise notes on em and she lets us formulate our own opinions on em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 haro123

Ahh would ya feck off! :p
    It helps when ya have an amazin teacher:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Kieran Lad

We do a great thing in Irish, the very second you enter the room its Irish. Everything you speak is Irish (apart from translations). My oral is poor as I struggle with pronunciation, but it really has improved. The oral is worth 40% and I think its great. 20 pictures is alot, but once you know your verbs, vocabulary and you have a good imagination your away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Defygravity

Apparently they expect the picture stories to be a really high standard.. I couldn't believe it when I seen the lack of choice on Paper 2. Gonna be a pretty nasty one..

Advertisement