Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i can't speak for every roscommon person but for me, i would consider retaining division 1 status and a connacht championship a successful season

i think the minimum requirement should we go down would at least be putting up good performances and not have something like 2008 happen again where we got beaten out the gate in matches when we got promoted to a higher level. a connacht final or 4th round of the qualifiers at the very least (should we lose early in connacht to mayo or galway) has to be the aim for the championship..otherwise people will start to question whether getting rid of evans was a smart idea

Should be aiming to beat Galway next year to be quite honest. Decent young, developing team, no more than ourselves. Better management would have us as far down the line as they are

Mayo's another story obviously, especially as next time we play em it's due to be in McHale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Roscommon are in a difficult position. In order to have any hope of staying up in Div 1 ye will need to be flying fit in February and even then it might not be enough as all the other teams will target yourselves and Down as the soft targets for 2 points.
    Come championship time in June or July when everyone else will be coming into their prime ye will be wrecked from trying to stay in Div 1. Add in Mayo in Castlebar should ye get that far and the fact that ye have failed to beat either Mayo or Galway since 2001, it could be another short year for the bus.
    Not to mention the whole joint manager fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

Rawhead wrote: »
    Roscommon are in a difficult position. In order to have any hope of staying up in Div 1 ye will need to be flying fit in February and even then it might not be enough as all the other teams will target yourselves and Down as the soft targets for 2 points.
    Come championship time in June or July when everyone else will be coming into their prime ye will be wrecked from trying to stay in Div 1. Add in Mayo in Castlebar should ye get that far and the fact that ye have failed to beat either Mayo or Galway since 2001, it could be another short year for the bus.

'Fiasco'?

Already?

They haven't even played a match yet, give them a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Rawhead wrote: »

Leave Mayo out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Roscommon or New York will face Leitrim in the Connacht Quarter-Final.
    The winners of the QF play Sligo in the semi Final.

We got the good side of the draw again,hopefully we make a better fist of it in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Ciaran Cafferky out injured for most of 2016 apparently, did his cruciate.

On a more positive note Geoffrey Claffey, Sean Purcell, Fintan Cregg, Niall Kilroy and Conor Devaney have all committed to the panel for the coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I tried to access the stolensheep.proboards site today, but can't access it, and says that it has been shut down by the admin. Pity if it's true as it was a handy place to pick up bits of news, even of one or two posters tended to try to hog the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

I tried to access the stolensheep.proboards site today, but can't access it, and says that it has been shut down by the admin. Pity if it's true as it was a handy place to pick up bits of news, even of one or two posters tended to try to hog the discussion.

Just tried getting on there now for the first time in a couple of months, any idea what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

ProudDUB wrote: »

Yip, just came back on to post that link, we are up and running again thankfully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

stolensheep doesn't seem to be working, U20 final Strokestown beat Pearses in Woodmount in dreadful conditions 2-5 to 0-9, wet St Stephens day, a pitch that just about held up, no neutral umpires and no trophy, ah sure at least the County Board got it played anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

patmac wrote: »
    stolensheep doesn't seem to be working, U20 final Strokestown beat Pearses in Woodmount in dreadful conditions 2-5 to 0-9, wet St Stephens day, a pitch that just about held up, no neutral umpires and no trophy, ah sure at least the County Board got it played anyway.

Absolute joke of a competition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Very sad to hear of the passing of the great Gerry O'Malley.

I knew Gerry very well from his involvement with our club St. Maurs in Rush Co. Dublin. I was only a child back when Gerry worked as an agri advisor in the late 60s around north Co. Dublin and was talked into coaching our football team who were junior with a few very talented players. Gerry worked his magic, the players loved him he coached our Club to Dublin Junior and Intermediate titles in 1972 and 73 to bring us senior for the first time.

Gerry deeply loved his native Roscommon and spoke of the many great players he played with and against. An absolute gent to the core with a beautiful manner and a great way with people. Gerry we would call an honorary Rush man, he could walk into any farm yard, kitchen or Glasshouse. At our annual mass Gerry would always be last to leave as everyone wanted to chat and so did Gerry over a cup of tea. I have met many great people in my time but I dont know anyone else who commanded such respect.

Gerry was regular in Croke park no matter who was playing and his analysis was always worth listening to outside the Hogan stand.

Deepest sympathy to all Roscommon folk, you have lost a legend. May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Agreed LeoB.

Legendary player. All but made the famous "broken crossbar final" his own. Turned the game virtually single handed. One of the best players of the 1950s in the country, a time many consider to be a "golden age" of Gaelic football.

Part of the legendary Connacht Railway Cup teams of the era, selected something like 11 seasons in a row for Connacht.

I'd have him in my all time Connacht 15, him and Purcell among the first names on the sheet.

Lovely post LeoB. Thanks.

As a matter of interest, has anybody here any information on Gerry's injury which he received very early in the 1962 All-Ireland final?
    It was reputedly off the ball and ended with Gerry staying on the field in a terrible state until he was inevitably taken off early in the second half (I think), having been unable to contribute virtually anything.

The reason I ask is because it's never mentioned 'officially', but years ago while working in Dublin an old Dub I was friendly with who really knew his GAA, told me all about it, as he had been at the match. I've heard different versions since, but they're rare as it happened so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0114/760152-kevin-mcstay/

Interview with McStay. Positive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is the pitch at the Hyde waterlogged?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Addle wrote: »
    Is the pitch at the Hyde waterlogged?
    No but its in no condition for a game,hence Sundays game moving to McHale Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

megadodge wrote: »
    Lovely post LeoB. Thanks.

As a matter of interest, has anybody here any information on Gerry's injury which he received very early in the 1962 All-Ireland final?
    It was reputedly off the ball and ended with Gerry staying on the field in a terrible state until he was inevitably taken off early in the second half (I think), having been unable to contribute virtually anything.

The reason I ask is because it's never mentioned 'officially', but years ago while working in Dublin an old Dub I was friendly with who really knew his GAA, told me all about it, as he had been at the match. I've heard different versions since, but they're rare as it happened so long ago.

Met Brian Carthy in Parnell park last Sunday and he told me he was with Gerry on Christmas eve.

Gerry said "Brian, I am ready to cross the Jordan"

That is a man who understood time and life

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Any word on team for tomorrows FBD final against galway? Can't seem to see anything online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Got the score at half time and then at full time.
    How did that happen?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

Oof. The kick out that led to the Conor McManus goal right at the end was disappointing. Felt like Roscommon deserved to get something from that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

PressRun wrote: »
    Oof. The kick out that led to the Conor McManus goal right at the end was disappointing. Felt like Roscommon deserved to get something from that match.

Heard Fergal o Donnell interviewed after the game, he reckoned Roscommon deserved to get nothing out of it and said they carried the ball into contact too much. Monaghan are a tough team to beat, well coached and never give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

tanko wrote: »
    Heard Fergal o Donnell interviewed after the game, he reckoned Roscommon deserved to get nothing out of it and said they carried the ball into contact too much. Monaghan are a tough team to beat, well coached and never give up.

Bit harsh. I thought they did well in the first half, but to be sure, Monaghan came back strongly in the second half. Thought Roscommon might have had it won in the last minute of normal time when they scored a free to go ahead, only for Monaghan to get a lovely point from play and McManus' cracker in extra time.

Disappointing result today.

I tend to agree with Fergie's assessment above. The losing of the game was the ridiculous amount of turnovers in our own half during the second period. A lot of them were from bad decision-making rather than any savage pressure. Monaghan got a number of scores directly from these turnovers and even their first goal came after a Roscommon lineball taker stepped over the line, Monaghan won the resulting scramble following the throwup, ball went in and (fortunate) goal, but it should never have happened.

These are the type of mistakes that are consistently punished at the top level, so Roscommon have to learn to cut down the error count if they want to stand any chance of staying up.

On another note, how come Cathal Shine was able to come on for the last five minutes? He's absolutely vital for Roscommon, but if he was able to play why didn't he, or if he was only able to play a certain amount of time, why only five minutes?

On a more positive note, I was delighted with Fintan Cregg's performance. I always thought he was easily good enough for a half-forward position on the county team and today's performance has reinforced that opinion. Himself and Seanie were Roscommon's best players.

Ciaran Murtagh was playing very well before he was stupidly black-carded. He was a big loss for his link play, industry and free-taking. He continues to improve.

Conor Devanney played very well also. For someone not renowned for his tackling / tracking back I thought he was excellent in that regard and he used the ball well. Loads of ability, let's hope he stays on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Monaghan a much bigger and heavier team.
    Especially in defence.
    Roscommon lads looked jacked at the end of the game.
    Crazy to think that a harder dry pitch would suit us better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

What a result. Bossed the game against the wind in the second half despite one of the most woefully biased displays of refereeing I've seen, and I get to see a hell of a lot of Marty Duffy so that's saying something.

So many injuries so going down to Killarney and picking up a win was special and important to our chances of survival. Hopefully the break means a lot more players can come back fit and healthy for the Cork game.

Cathal Cregg and Enda Smith were stellar today. Fintan Cregg is continuing to fulfill his potential too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Syferus wrote: »
    What a result. Bossed the game against the wind in the second half despite one of the most woefully biased displays of refereeing I've seen, and I get to see a hell of a lot of Marty Duffy so that's saying something.

So many injuries so going down to Killarney and picking up a win was special and important to our chances of survival. Hopefully the break means a lot more players can come back fit and healthy for the Cork game.

Cathal Cregg and Enda Smith were stellar today. Fintan Cregg is continuing to fulfill his potential too.

Congrats on the win. Wouldn't worry about the referee (even though he was brutal ) enjoy the win. This will bring the team on a lot and ye still missing a few lads. Great displays from Smith,Cathal Cregg and Niall Daly in particular. Was Fintan Cregg on that Roscommon winning minor team in 06?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Gael85 wrote: »
    Congrats on the win. Wouldn't worry about the referee (even though he was brutal ) enjoy the win. This will bring the team on a lot and ye still missing a few lads. Great displays from Smith,Cathal Cregg and Niall Daly in particular. Was Fintan Cregg on that Roscommon winning minor team in 06?

Yep he was. So was Devanney and Cathal McHugh. Both back this year as other 06 players line Donie Shine, Higgins, Keenan and Carty are out injured or not match fit yet. For a single minor team they've given some service to the senior team. Domican is working in the Middle East or he'd be on the panel this year too. Ormsby and O'Gara have also played many games for the senior team off that minor side.

Fintan would have got looks a few times under just about every new manger but didn't stick far beyond a league campaign or two. Always been the star man for his club Elphin who once were the number two team chasing St. Brigids in the county. This year he's going from strength to strength, where he'd lay off a lateral pass in years past he's going for it himself and he's rooting out so many dirty balls. It's great to see a lad making good on their talent.

Advertisement