Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

Think it will be a serious uphill battle from here, especially with Galway picking up 2 wins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Think it will be a serious uphill battle from here, especially with Galway picking up 2 wins

On the other hand, Galway might get 2 more points v Mayo or Monaghan to get them to 6. Galway probably wont get anything v Dublin or Kerry. That could mean that the last league game v Kildare could be meaningless for Galway which would work to your advantage (if you are in with a chance of staying up on the last day).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

kencoo wrote: »
    Very disappointing result. I thought that if we had any realistic ambition for the league we should have been able to beat monaghan.

I presume you mean staying in Division 1 and not winning it.

Still well in with a shout of avoiding relegation

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Felexicon wrote: »

I mean ambition to stay in division 1. We need a couple of years there to use as a progress/stepping stone for the championship. From the start of the league I thought we could beat monaghan maybe donegal and 50/50 against galway. I just cant see us winning the other games against kerry, mayo or tyrone. If we are relying on playing understrength teams that have already qualified we might be kidding ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

There changing the format of the senior and intermediate championships. No details yet I don’t think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭ mightyreds

paulie21 wrote: »
    There changing the format of the senior and intermediate championships. No details yet I don’t think

There was a proposal put in I read about a few weeks ago I thought it was ridiculous the format there now I think is one if the better ones

The proposal I read that was put forward, was 16 teams open draw, then four groups of 4 , each group contains 2 winners and 2 losers of the first round

The top of each group goes to the quarter final and teams in 2nd play teams in 3rd for the other 4 places, rest are in the relegation play off.

I think it's absolute madness so many games that are useless, I hope this was one of a few not the only one put forward

• Registered Users Posts: 17,768 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

mightyreds wrote: »
    The proposal I read that was put forward, was 16 teams open draw, then four groups of 4 , each group contains 2 winners and 2 losers of the first round

The top of each group goes to the quarter final and teams in 2nd play teams in 3rd for the other 4 places, rest are in the relegation play off.

I think it's absolute madness so many games that are useless, I hope this was one of a few not the only one put forward

Potential to play 8 championship games excluding replays seems a bit much to fit in alright

paulie21 wrote: »
    Potential to play 8 championship games excluding replays seems a bit much to fit in alright

Could scrap the first round entirely , seen that in the leader no mention of any other proposals , they'd be mad to vote that in, didn't we have groups before this system now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

That is mad. Just seed top 8 based on who made QF previous year. 2/3 playoff should be against teams from other group if doing that.

Current system is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

It passed, per kildaregaa forum.32 to 20 in favour. More cash. Madness.
    mightyreds wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

This is crazy. The format over the last few years has been excellent. Each game has a real championship feel to it.

I doubt this new format will last long. Too many pointless games diluting quality of the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Felexicon wrote: »

No we aren't. The chances of Kildare staying up are extremely small. Definitely not "well in with a chance"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Luke Flynn dropped for Tommy Moolick. No Paddy Brophy or Niall Kelly named in the 1st 15. Hopefully one or both of them will start.
    Player selection for both team and panel is starting to look like a major weakness from the current management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Was Tommy moolick injured last week???
    Couldn't believe he didn't get a run out when we lost cribbin as he is always a good man to create chances when we need them. But no management taught eamon Callaghan was the game changer!!!!!!????????
    Of all the talk Dr o Neill comes out with there is no follow through.

I find it hard to see McNally starting ahead of either Kelly or Brophy. Kelly looked back to somewhere near his old form last week. I hope McCormack is fit.

Any one know when we last beat a division 1 team?? Was it cork back in the qualifiers about 3 years ago?

Any one know when we last beat a division 1 team?? Was it cork back in the qualifiers about 3 years ago?

Correct.

Of the current Div 1 teams:

Dublin - 2000 Leinster Final replay in Croke Park
    Monaghan - 2010 Qualifiers Rd 4 in Croke Park
    Tyrone - 2012 NFL Division 2 Final in Croke Park
    Donegal - 2013 NFL in Croke Park
    Mayo - 2014 NFL in Newbridge
    Kerry - 1998 All Ireland Semi Final in Croke Park
    Galway - 1985 NFL in Newbridge

Correct.

Of the current Div 1 teams:

Dublin - 2000 Leinster Final replay in Croke Park
    Monaghan - 2010 Qualifiers Rd 4 in Croke Park
    Tyrone - 2012 NFL Division 2 Final in Croke Park
    Donegal - 2013 NFL in Croke Park
    Mayo - 2014 NFL in Newbridge
    Kerry - 1998 All Ireland Semi Final in Croke Park
    Galway - 1985 NFL in Newbridge

We beat Kerry in 2013, Daniel Flynn destroyed them playing midfield that day IIRC.

We beat Kerry in 2013, Daniel Flynn destroyed them playing midfield that day IIRC.

Ah yeah. JD scored a cracker that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Kildare are closer than people think I believe.

Monaghan are a very good side and unlucky in 2 or 3 big games over the last few years. Against Dublin it was not possible to maintain the pace Kildare set out at. It looked really good but was always going to happen that Dublin would come back at some stage.

There are plenty of good players in that Kildare team and they need a little time. You can see the strength in a few lads and if they can manage a win everything changes for them.

There is a great opportunity ahead in the championship but they need to be a bit more direct. The forwards are good so why fck about with the ball 70-80 yards from goal and give teams the chance to defend.

Important supporters stay positive because it does seep through

LeoB wrote: »

Most supporters have given up long ago. The Kildare bandwagon is dead. Same faces at every match. Almost as many Monaghan there last Sunday as Kildare. Would expect the same tomorrow.

LeoB wrote: »
    Kildare are closer than people think I believe.

Monaghan are a very good side and unlucky in 2 or 3 big games over the last few years. Against Dublin it was not possible to maintain the pace Kildare set out at. It looked really good but was always going to happen that Dublin would come back at some stage.

There are plenty of good players in that Kildare team and they need a little time. You can see the strength in a few lads and if they can manage a win everything changes for them.

There is a great opportunity ahead in the championship but they need to be a bit more direct. The forwards are good so why fck about with the ball 70-80 yards from goal and give teams the chance to defend.

That is the one thing Kildare did brilliantly in the early stages of the league last season when there was quick ball going into Daniel Flynn, McCormack and Neil Flynn with Niall Kelly playmaking behind them. As injuries mounted and the likes of Slattery came in there was more a change to a running game which found success against the likes of Laois but is limited against better teams.

Will this team ever come out the right side of a one point game? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

That is the one thing Kildare did brilliantly in the early stages of the league last season when there was quick ball going into Daniel Flynn, McCormack and Neil Flynn with Niall Kelly playmaking behind them. As injuries mounted and the likes of Slattery came in there was more a change to a running game which found success against the likes of Laois but is limited against better teams.

Managers and coachs make some drastic decisions when one or two lads get injured that knocks the whole set-up around too much. The direct game should not change when someone or a few get injured. They need to adopt the player coming in to the side to give early ball. It is harder to defend against when you have natural forwards like Kildare have.

A bad day for one half of Newbridge. A good day for Naas.

All Ireland Club Semi-Final:

Corofin 1-6 Moorefield 0-6

Leinster Schools Senior Football Semi Final:

Naas CBS 2-8 Colaiste Eoin 0-6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Gave the game a watch today. Watched Eanna O'Connor closely with the talk that he should be making the step up to the Kildare team.

Forgive me but he was generally woeful. Is he usually better? Don't see how he'd deserve to make it, yet.

EDIT: Don't want to sound overly harsh! Just curious as to why some think he'd slot right into the starting team.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Gave the game a watch today. Watched Eanna O'Connor closely with the talk that he should be making the step up to the Kildare team.

Forgive me but he was generally woeful. Is he usually better? Don't see how he'd deserve to make it, yet.

EDIT: Don't want to sound overly harsh! Just curious as to why some think he'd slot right into the starting team.

If he wasn't making the team two years ago when we were in Division 3, I doubt anyone would think he'd walk right into the team now when we have a lot more options for the inside line.

He's a reliable freetaker and is very effective from play at club level. Is he a better option than McCormack, Healy, Flynn, Hyland etc? I'm not convinced but I wouldn't knock him too much for that performance today. Moorefield were poor and an inside forward is totally dependent on the service they receive from out the field. He wasn't given a chance with some of the ball that was kicked in.

I can see Mark Dempsey and James Murray on Cian O'Neill's radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Ridiculous that a team can play against 14 men for the whole match and put only 6 points on the board.

• Advertisement

Moorefield were poor today and if we look at their season they were lucky in a few games to get where they were today.
    Club football in kildare isn't great at the moment..
    Corofin showed some class in moving the ball around and the better team won.
    O connor was very poor and I wouldn't have him near the kildare team at the moment.
    James Murray id keep an eye out for him he has shown a bit of consistency..

Advertisement