Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,442 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Unlimited space for photos (if that's the main thing you want to store).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭DopeTech

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Could this be used an alternative to Dropbox ? I'm losing 10GB of my Dropbox space next month.

Google photos for your photos and google drive for everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I moved all my Dropbox stuff to Google long ago. Dropbox really need to get with the rest of them, their pitiful limits are ridiculous today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I moved all my Dropbox stuff to Google long ago. Dropbox really need to get with the rest of them, their pitiful limits are ridiculous today.

Drive is a nightmare on a PC though. Uses up far too much RAM

Synode wrote: »
    Drive is a nightmare on a PC though. Uses up far too much RAM

I use linux and ram isn't an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Limits on their free service are pitiful? They aren't supplying that service for the same reasons Google are. Google scan all your photos for advertising purposes. Dropbox, although they may actually be doing the same as Google, are primarily offering the free space with the hope you'll upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Has anyone installed Sopcast? It's my favourite PC streamer but the permissions are set to "violate" on my Android TV. Don't trust it!

If you're trusting it on your PC, no reason not too on android

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

I use linux and ram isn't an issue
    Is there a Google Drive client for Linux? I'm using Mint and the popular Dropbox client is the main reason I'm sticking with them. Couldn't find anything for Google Drive in the ol' Software Manager!

VanZan wrote: »
    Is there a Google Drive client for Linux? I'm using Mint and the popular Dropbox client is the main reason I'm sticking with them. Couldn't find anything for Google Drive in the ol' Software Manager!

I'm using this, not free, $5

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I just bought a Galaxy S6 and basically have no clue what I'm doing. I always had an iPhone before now but I've jumped ship! Liking it so far.
    I want to try set the phone up as best I can so I'll be having a read through this whole forum.
    Is there anything people can recommended as an immediate must have?
    The first thing I'm thinking of is something similar to the "Find my iPhone" app? Any idea what I could get to do the same job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

You can also do it from desktop now and ring your device.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I just bought a Galaxy S6 and basically have no clue what I'm doing. I always had an iPhone before now but I've jumped ship! Liking it so far.
    I want to try set the phone up as best I can so I'll be having a read through this whole forum.
    Is there anything people can recommended as an immediate must have?
    The first thing I'm thinking of is something similar to the "Find my iPhone" app? Any idea what I could get to do the same job?

Must have apps for me apart from the usuals would be,

SwiftKey keyboard
    Mx player
    Fotmob pro
    Flight radar pro
    Pocketcasts
    Filmon
    Powertoggles

Turn on google now and start backing up your pics to the photos app.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

El Guapo! wrote: »

Cerberus is a good 3rd party app, at a small cost. I did notice that the Avast anti-virus app seems to have some anti-theft faciliities, though I haven't checked these out yet. You'll need some anti-virus, so this might kill two birds....

RainyDay wrote: »
    Cerberus is a good 3rd party app, at a small cost. I did notice that the Avast anti-virus app seems to have some anti-theft faciliities, though I haven't checked these out yet. You'll need some anti-virus, so this might kill two birds....

I recommend cerberus too but you have no need for an antivirus. Just stick to the trusted markets and you'll be fine.

I recommend cerberus too but you have no need for an antivirus. Just stick to the trusted markets and you'll be fine.

And the trusted websites? And the trusted email attachments?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Its not windows your talking about; its Android.

They do not affect Android. Only Windows gets viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

He's going to start talking about Malware now, which is fine on android once you're not a tool about what you install

• Advertisement

Tinie wrote: »
    Its not windows your talking about; its Android.

Really?

http://www.itmanagerdaily.com/android-virus-phishing-emails/

http://androidflagship.com/7692-remove-tapsnake-virus-android-smartphones

He's going to start talking about Malware now, which is fine on android once you're not a tool about what you install

Exactly, just stick to the proper markets. Antivirus scanners work by comparing the installed apps with a database which is exactly what privacy guard built in to Android already does anyway.

And Malware is brought up. I should have put a fiver on it.

In both of those articles you get the Malware by downloading a dodgy .apk and installing the file, which is what we've been saying not to do this whole time. Stick to the Play Store and you don't need to worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Stick to the Play Store and you don't need to worry

How realistic is this though. I don't know anyone who hasn't wanted to download an app outside the play store

Synode wrote: »
    How realistic is this though. I don't know anyone who hasn't wanted to download an app outside the play store

Depends on the App and where you're getting it from.

If you want the App as opposed to being told you need it you're probably okay, eg the Paddy Power app is grand, while a pop-up Antivirus is a bad idea.

I would have thought this was common sense to people trying to give technical advice on a forum but obviously not.

Use your head when you're installing stuff, did you look for it or did it find you, if the latter then its a bad idea.

And Malware is brought up. I should have put a fiver on it.

In both of those articles you get the Malware by downloading a dodgy .apk and installing the file, which is what we've been saying not to do this whole time. Stick to the Play Store and you don't need to worry

From http://www.itmanagerdaily.com/android-virus-phishing-emails/
    The email contained a malicious attachment disguised a letter from a group of human rights activists. So far, it’s pretty standard stuff as far as security attacks go.
    The twist in this case: The attachment was a malicious .apk file — the file type use for Android apps. Of course in this case, when the attachment was open on a smartphone, an Android virus was installed on the recipient’s device.

No Store, dodgy or otherwise involved - just an email attachment...

I never mentioned from dodgy stores. Someone emails you an app and you just install it?

As I've said, only install from Google Play, if you can't use some common sense and know what you're installing, its not difficult

I never mentioned from dodgy stores. Someone emails you an app and you just install it?

As I've said, only install from Google Play, if you can't use some common sense and know what you're installing, its not difficult
    If it was that simple, there would be no anti-virus industry or software in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

From http://www.itmanagerdaily.com/android-virus-phishing-emails/

No Store, dodgy or otherwise involved - just an email attachment...

When you click the attachment you get prompted that you are installing an app. Don't blindly install apps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement