Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carlow Local Elections

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

patrickc wrote: »
    but it will be happening soon

PatrickC, Curiosity is killing me. Whats this you refer to or have I taken something up wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭patrickc

tombull82 wrote: »
    PatrickC, Curiosity is killing me. Whats this you refer to or have I taken something up wrong?

it's just something to do with work, can't say really, but want the politicans opinions on it when they come a knocking

it's just something to do with work, can't say really, but want the politicans opinions on it when they come a knocking

OK Fair enough so.

Just realized that I'm working days on the 5th of June so I'll be leaving Carlow at 05.30 and not arriving home until about 20.30.

Just wondering am I correct in thinking that the polling station's are open until 21.00hrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hughj

Just realized that I'm working days on the 5th of June so I'll be leaving Carlow at 05.30 and not arriving home until about 20.30.

Just wondering am I correct in thinking that the polling station's are open until 21.00hrs?
    I think they are open untill 10:00pm at least they were for the last election

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

0700->2200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

testicle wrote: »
    0700->2200

yup, got the voting cards today.

as did i. my first ever...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

does anyone know what candidates i can vote for in my area? i vote in Bishop Foley school, and i have been reading up on some of the candidates but i can't figure out if they are actually in my area (am i wrong is saying they've changed the areas??)

usually give Sinn Fein a vote, but dont think their candidate is in my area....:o

on a separate note, i missed the TWO candidates who called to my door...raging!! needless to say, as a teacher, FF will not be getting a friendly response from me! :mad:

Nead21 wrote: »
    does anyone know what candidates i can vote for in my area? i vote in Bishop Foley school, and i have been reading up on some of the candidates but i can't figure out if they are actually in my area (am i wrong is saying they've changed the areas??)

usually give Sinn Fein a vote, but dont think their candidate is in my area....:o

on a separate note, i missed the TWO candidates who called to my door...raging!! needless to say, as a teacher, FF will not be getting a friendly response from me! :mad:

http://www.localelections.ie/

have a look here, myself and kia were trying to figure it out last night too, and this site seems to have it best with a map, the only thing is they seem very based towards one candiate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

have a look here, myself and kia were trying to figure it out last night too, and this site seems to have it best with a map, the only thing is they seem very based towards one candiate

Shame they took the URL for a website that only offers information in two areas.

thanks patrick
    http://www.localelections.ie/the only thing is they seem very based towards one candiate

hahaha....it would almost seem that its "sponsored" by that candidate!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Very funny but i would have to say if michael was in my locality he'd be getting my vote. He's a lovely man and very very helpful. I'm saying this on personal experience. Definitely hope he gets voted in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Hmm i got 3 voting cards!! 2 with my name, but 2 different endings to my address. And another with my proper address but with middle name included!:confused:

That explains why i got 3 flyers for every candidate while rest of my house got only 1!!

So that means as 1 person i have 3 votes!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

My postal ballot has just arrived.

Best of luck to all candidates. I won't be here to get the results. I'm out of the country from Thursday

He's the only one to sign up to it. The others haen't

testicle wrote: »
    He's the only one to sign up to it. The others haen't
    Yeah thats true it was way too expensive for me cus Im working on a tight budget

Stevecw wrote: »
    Hmm i got 3 voting cards!!

i get 2 voting cards every time, since i registered to vote in 1999....sadly was never allowed to vote twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

i get 2 voting cards every time, since i registered to vote in 1999....sadly was never allowed to vote twice!

You would be committing fraud if you did.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

hughj wrote: »
    Yeah thats true it was way too expensive for me cus Im working on a tight budget

As a FF candidate.. you need all the help you can get ;)

Hows it going on the doors anyway? Is it as tough as some (incl. FF) candidates are making it out to be?

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »

come on sully you know better than anyone here to keep it on topic it's been said already here..

come on sully you know better than anyone here to keep it on topic it's been said already here..

Oops. Added to my post to keep things on course :)

Morf wrote: »
    You would be committing fraud if you did.

i didnt know it was fraud to be assuming the identity of myself!! :p

i didnt know it was fraud to be assuming the identity of myself!! :p

You can't vote twice, regardless of who many cards ya get :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

It seems to me that there are a number of issues which need to be taken into account regarding the local elections.

The candidates putting themselves forward in these economically uncertain times need to ask themselves why they are getting involved with county councils?

Is it an economic decision... ie extra income for the next five years and expenses to boot?

Do they really want to make a difference?

In my opinion the only times I see these people at my door, in the paper or emblazoned on road signage ( in some cases leaving the driver in doubt as to what is under the sign post... a dangerous thing!) is when they want me to vote for them. What have they done for me or indeed the countless members of their community?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i dont know if local politicians and councillors read this, but if any happen to could you please remove the posters and placcards thet are attached to the railings outside the fire station and Scoil Mhuire and other schools which are blocking driver's view of children on the footpaths outside these schools!

it may seem trivial but it only takes a fraction of a second of distraction or of having your view obscured to knock down a child because you did not see them running towards the crossing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I give up.

Politicians and political parties seem to be geared around getting elected.

When they get there... they think about the next election. Sod the countries interest.

We have school teachers asking us to vote for them to run the country, 20 years in politics but won't give up his posting... (Micheal Martin, in case I don't get re-elected...) Enda Kenny the same.

School teachers/Lawyers etc running the country? FFS? What corporation would have a similar make up?

We deserve every thing we get.

PS Never voted FF in my life, not party political, but Enda's plan for the banks scares me ****less, he's naive to the point of comedy.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i dont know if local politicians and councillors read this, but if any happen to could you please remove the posters and placcards thet are attached to the railings outside the fire station and Scoil Mhuire and other schools which are blocking driver's view of children on the footpaths outside these schools!

it may seem trivial but it only takes a fraction of a second of distraction or of having your view obscured to knock down a child because you did not see them running towards the crossing!
    This is the reason why I didnt put mine up there, it just makes sense

Sully wrote: »

Hows it going on the doors anyway? Is it as tough as some (incl. FF) candidates are making it out to be?
    Its not too bad,it is tough though because I am a first time candadate and the youngest running but people are very polite and even though some of them wont vote for me they are sound about it and wish me the best of luck

• Advertisement

hughj wrote: »
    Its not too bad,it is tough though because I am a first time candadate and the youngest running but people are very polite and even though some of them wont vote for me they are sound about it and wish me the best of luck

Why haven't you been around to my house?

I haven't seen a candidate all week.

Advertisement