Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom text messaging settings

• 22-08-2004 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just bought myself a BT Paragon 500 answer/speakerphone from Argos today and among other things it also supports SMS/txt messaging. But the default settings are for the UK (it being a BT phone of course), so does anyone have the settings (eg: the number it should use to access eircom's SMS service etc).

I checked eircom's site but it seems to assume that you're using one they provided (which isn't much help in this case).

Thanks in advance folks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Just found the eircom SMS settings:

Service centre 1: 17409900
    Service centre 2: 0818365135

I can send sms messages using these numbers from the phone -but so far the phone only rings when I send a message to the phone and won't store the message. If i figure out the solution to this little problem I will let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks mrblack :)

Tried those and I'm getting the same problem as yourself - can send from the phone OK but when I send to it, it just rings normally.

I think it's to do with Caller ID not being enabled on my line (I'm ex-directory so it's off by default). Will call eircom in the morning and see if they can activate it on the line while still keeping it out of the phonebook, and post back here then with their answer.

Cheers!

Kaiser,

Yeah, You must enable your caller ID on your line according to the paragon 500 manual and 01 eircom directory in order for the sms messaging to work -But my line is already enabled so this shouldn't be my problem. Its funny that we both have exactly the same problem-hopefully its not an issue particular to non eircom sourced sms phones. I don't think I will ever use the eircom sms anyway as meteor are almost as cheap and I use the webtext when I am at home anyway-but I would still like to have it working to receive messages in case my mobile was mia or lost.

Kaiser,

Did you have any luck getting sms's to work on the paragon 500. I rang Eircom and once they heard the phone was not an Eircom 4012 or other eircom phone they politely told me that my phone is not approved for Eircoms network and will not work and would give me no advice at all. Of course I told the biddy that this attitude would restrict Eircoms income from sms but I got nowhere and can't be bothered trying anymore. Its too easy to use the mobile and web to be bothered with Eircoms rubbish. But if you got it working let me know.

thx

I just got SMS sending and receiving to work on the BT paragon 500 landline phone at last :) . I used the numbers below and hey presto phone now receives SMS's. Just as well coz I was too lazy to bring it back to Argus! :D

Outgoing nunber 1: 17409900
    Outgoing number 2: 17409900

Incoming
    Number 1: 08183651350
    Number 2: 08183651350
    Number 3: 08183651350
    Number 4: 08183651350
    Number 5: 08183651350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers! :) Works great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭TeenStar

hey! i'm having the same trouble with my binatone e850, put those numbers in that you listed above but it still doesn't send or recieve messages. when i tried to send one from my mobile as a test i got a delivery report saying it had been delivered but my landline did nothing!!! i think i'll take it back, i realised it doesn't have a back light on the lcd either which is annoying and the volume is craaaaaaap! arrrrgggghhh :rolleyes:

TeenStar wrote:
    hey! i'm having the same trouble with my binatone e850, put those numbers in that you listed above but it still doesn't send or recieve messages. when i tried to send one from my mobile as a test i got a delivery report saying it had been delivered but my landline did nothing!!! i think i'll take it back, i realised it doesn't have a back light on the lcd either which is annoying and the volume is craaaaaaap! arrrrgggghhh :rolleyes:

A Biddy in eircom did give me the useful tip that a customer has to send an SMS from the landline firstly before receiving an sms to the landline. Apparently the first sms sent from the landline registers and sets up the service automatically. Only after this first sms is sent will you be able to receive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭TeenStar

thanks but still no joy, the only difference is mine has 'serv send'and 'serv rcv' instead of saying incoming and outgoing number, i've definately got the numbers right cos the english ones are actually quite similar...you dont have to put a prefix before these numbers do you?

no prefix required as far as I know per eircom Biddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

I 'm trying this on a recently purchased Panasonic KX-TCD515E using the two numbers above, outgoing texts are fine but when incoming texts arrive the phone doesn't answer...

Message Centre 1 (send): 17409900
    Message Centre 2 (recv): 08183651350

Any suggestions?

din0saur wrote:
    I 'm trying this on a recently purchased Panasonic KX-TCD515E using the two numbers above, outgoing texts are fine but when incoming texts arrive the phone doesn't answer...

Message Centre 1 (send): 17409900
    Message Centre 2 (recv): 08183651350

Any suggestions?

Do you mean that you receive the sms -but just the phone doesnt alert you, or do you mean that the sms is not received at all?

my phone doesnt answer when an sms arrives-it justs alerts with 2 double bleeps like a Nokia mobile and the SMS led blinks until I read the sms. There is a setting my phone "SMS alert" which I have enabled. Maybe you have this option on your phone disabled.

mrblack

When I send a text to the landline the phone rings and the number on the caller ID display is 08183651350. I then wait for the phone to do something but nothing happens. 15 minutes later another call from 08183651350 is displayed and the same thing happens. This retry happens 3 times in all. These show up as missed calls. I did answer once but heard nothing..

Update: mrblack has suggested I change the receive number to 0818365135 (ie drop the last 0) so I will try that and report back.

That did the trick, SMS is now working. Thanks for your help!

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

din0saur wrote:
    When I send a text to the landline the phone rings and the number on the caller ID display is 08183651350. I then wait for the phone to do something but nothing happens. 15 minutes later another call from 08183651350 is displayed and the same thing happens. This retry happens 3 times in all. These show up as missed calls. I did answer once but heard nothing..

Update: mrblack has suggested I change the receive number to 0818365135 (ie drop the last 0) so I will try that and report back.

At last I know why our bloody phone keeps ringing with that number coming up. Been happening on and off for a while. What I can't figure out though is why anyone would be trying to send an SMS to a landline number.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've never set this up because I reckoned I'd be robbed, anyone know the costs? More importantly, will it work on a line that's been WLR'd by BT?
    adam

dahamsta wrote:
    I've never set this up because I reckoned I'd be robbed, anyone know the costs? More importantly, will it work on a line that's been WLR'd by BT?
    adam

It should work on a line with WLR. It did in my case but I got a bill from Eircom with only the Line rental plus about a Euro for texts :( . I am with UTV and they don't supply a wholesale texts product so any texts go over Eircoms network instead. That happened to me when my calls were via UTV but the line rental was still stuck with Eircom last November/December. Now I don't think anything has changed since full WLR has come into effect. I only get one bill from UTV and I don't want to see any post from Eircom in my door unless its a begging letter for me to come back to them with an offer I can't refuse hopefully. Like no line rental for a year or something to that effect:D

mrblack

mrblack wrote:
    It should work on a line with WLR. It did in my case but I got a bill from Eircom with only the Line rental plus about a Euro for texts :( .
    I don't get it, why would you get a bill for line rental from Eircom if you're on WLR? Single-billing is the whole point of WLR.

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    I don't get it, why would you get a bill for line rental from Eircom if you're on WLR? Single-billing is the whole point of WLR.

adam

Because UTV don't include texts in their services offering. Their WLR form that I signed mid last year contained only line rental and the various types of calls-no mention of sms's in it. I got the bill from Eircom even though I had WLR from UTV because the line rental transfer didn't happen for about 3-6 months due to Eircom slowing down the transfer process-or so I was informed by UTV customer care. When I saw the sms's on Eircoms bill I rang UTV customer care to see why the texts were not on UTV's bill as I had expected and that was their reason. Now I only get a bill from UTV and UTV advised me that if I sent any texts via the landline then I would get a seperate bill from Eircom. I send all my texts via mobile & internet anyway so it doesn't particularly bother me.

mrblack

dahamsta wrote:

adam

Because UTV don't include texts in their services offering. Their WLR form that I signed mid last year contained only line rental and the various types of calls-no mention of sms's in it. I got the bill from Eircom even though I had WLR from UTV because the line rental transfer didn't happen for about 3-6 months due to Eircom slowing down the transfer process-or so I was informed by UTV customer care. When I saw the sms's on Eircoms bill I rang UTV customer care to see why the texts were not on UTV's bill as I had expected and that was their reason. Now I only get a bill from UTV and UTV advised me that if I sent any texts via the landline then I would get a seperate bill from Eircom. I send all my texts via mobile & internet anyway so it doesn't particularly bother me.

mrblack

• Advertisement

mrblack wrote:
    I got the bill from Eircom even though I had WLR from UTV because the line rental transfer didn't happen for about 3-6 months due to Eircom slowing down the transfer process-or so I was informed by UTV customer care.
    Ah, you didn't mention this. I understand now.

Anyone on active WLR using their landline for SMS? Is the Eircom bill separate? (I'm just asking because I'd be surprised if Eircom are allowed to bill WLR customers separately for anything any more.) And again, does anyone have any idea of the costs involved?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

HELLO IM NEW HERE, I HAVE THE PANASONIC KX-TG8524E PHONE, THE HANDSET IS GOOD WORKS GREAT, BUT WHEN I WENT TO SETUP SMS TEXT MESSAGING SERVICE, I COULD NOT, WHEN I PUT IN MESSAGE CENTRE1 NUMBER 17409900:confused: IT WOULD NOT WORK, UNTIL I INSERTED THE LETTER P=PAUSE, THIS PHONE HAS THE LETTER P AVAILABLE WHEN ENTERING THE MESSAGE CENTRE NUMBERS, IF YOU ENTER THE MESSAGE CENTRE1 NUMBER :confused:17409900P:), IT WORKS FOR OUTGOING MESSAGES ONLY, MESSAGE CENTRE2 NUMBER 0818365135:( WONT WORK AT ALL, WITH OR WITH THE LETTER P=PAUSE, WHEN I ENTER P AFTER THE NUMBER 0818365135P:(, AND SEND A TEXT MESSAGE TO IT, THE PHONE RINGS WITH THE NUMBER 08183651350:confused:, BUT NO TEXT MESSAGE IS RECIEVED:(, CAN ANYBODY HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM?
    MY PHONE COMPANY IS IMAGINE.IE

OUTGOING 17409900P:)

INCOMING 0818365135:(
    INCOMING 0818365135P:(
    INCOMING 08183651350:(

PLEASE HELP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mabozarichie

exercise wrote: »
    HELLO IM NEW HERE, I HAVE THE PANASONIC KX-TG8524E PHONE, THE HANDSET IS GOOD WORKS GREAT, BUT WHEN I WENT TO SETUP SMS TEXT MESSAGING SERVICE, I COULD NOT, WHEN I PUT IN MESSAGE CENTRE1 NUMBER 17409900:confused: IT WOULD NOT WORK, UNTIL I INSERTED THE LETTER P=PAUSE, THIS PHONE HAS THE LETTER P AVAILABLE WHEN ENTERING THE MESSAGE CENTRE NUMBERS, IF YOU ENTER THE MESSAGE CENTRE1 NUMBER :confused:17409900P:), IT WORKS FOR OUTGOING MESSAGES ONLY, MESSAGE CENTRE2 NUMBER 0818365135:( WONT WORK AT ALL, WITH OR WITH THE LETTER P=PAUSE, WHEN I ENTER P AFTER THE NUMBER 0818365135P:(, AND SEND A TEXT MESSAGE TO IT, THE PHONE RINGS WITH THE NUMBER 08183651350:confused:, BUT NO TEXT MESSAGE IS RECIEVED:(, CAN ANYBODY HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM?
    MY PHONE COMPANY IS IMAGINE.IE

OUTGOING 17409900P:)

INCOMING 0818365135:(
    INCOMING 0818365135P:(
    INCOMING 08183651350:(

PLEASE HELP

Maybe your CAPS LOCK is stuck on your phone also.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Right I'm going to lock this, last post before being dragged from the depths of the forum was 2005. OP post a new thread preferably without the all caps typing and less smiley faces. It makes things difficult to read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement