Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FTV/FTA access

• 15-03-2004 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi, I've just moved into a new house and the previous owner left his Sky minidish and decoder box here.

I've tried hooking it up but have not been able to get any channels although the signal strength is good and I can view the TV listings. It simply gives a bluescreen and a "no satellite signal is being recieved" message.

Is there anyway to get FTV or FTA channels without taking out a subscription ?.

I dont have a phone line either, will this be a problem?.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Check if the co-axial Satellite dish cable is still connected to the Digibox. Then check if their is a blue card Sky digicard in the front slot.

If there is no card in the slot, apparently you can use a lot of other old credit card type cards. If the Sky card is there. Then disconnect your digibox from the electric power [Remove plug completely from wall] then remove the Skycard from the Digibox and turn it upside down i.e. the blue side with the house on it should be closest too the floor, re- insert it and reconnect the Digibox.

All being well, you should see a screen saying "Searching for signals" or something like that. You will probably then get a screen message saying " There is a fault with your Skycard etc. Ignore that press back up and try scrolling using the +/- manual programme selector on the right of the remote control.

With a little patience you should start to see diferent FTA TV and 'Digital Radio' channels, and plenty of them.

My Skydish even works on these channels without any card in any of the slots.

Good luck.

P. :ninja: N.B. *No phonline needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

>Check if the co-axial Satellite dish cable is still connected

Yep it is, and in the diagnostic menu the signal strength is high. I can also see the programme listings in detail. However when I press select on a program (tried Sky, BBC-NI, QVC) it just says "no satellite signal is being recieved"

> Then check if their is a blue card Sky digicard in the front slot.

No card, I tried the inserting a credit card and also a borrowed Sky viewing card but neither had any effect. (although the Sky cards serial number was read)

> and turn it upside down i.e. the blue side with the house on it >should be closest too the floor, re- insert it and reconnect the >Digibox.

Tried that too, no joy.

>All being well, you should see a screen saying "Searching for >signals" or something like that. #

I get a "searching for listings" or similar on power-up but then goes to the NO SATELLITE blah blah,

Any further ideas ?, it looks to me that the signal is being recieved but the box wont allow viewing. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skycards

Press Services/System setup/System details?

What is the epg version ? if it's not 3.1a.5 or 3.1a.6 then you need to do a backup.

You can also check in the signal test menu if you also have good quality . Also it should say locked and give you a network id.

To do a backup :
    Unplug the box from the mains.
    Hold in the "backup" button on the front of the box.
    Now plug the box in .
    Keep holing the button until all the leds come on on the front of the box.
    Let the button go now.
    It will take upto 10 mins to download new firmware.
    When it's finished it will switch back to standby mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Try the decoder on your friends dish,
    OR
    His/her decoder on your dish.

Let us know!!!
    BAC Is it a PACE decoder??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Sounds to me as if the satellite co-axial cable connection in to the Digibox may be a bit loose. The only time I receive the "No signals being received" screen message is when I move my set and the damned broken connector comes away.

Try disconnecting the sat aerial from the Digibox, and wait a few minutes before reconnecting.

Best that I can suggest. Or if you have a friendly TV shop nearby, you could ask them to send out someone to check it out. It would certainly be a hell of a lot cheaper than taking out a subsription to Sky.

Is the Digibox a Grundig ?..

Good luck.

P. :ninja: N.B. *Keep us posted !.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Press services,the press No.4 then press 0 then1 select,this will bring up the installers menu.When this comes up select LNB SET UP ,then turn off the lnb power supply and also switch off the 22KHz power supply.After you have done this repeat the process and switch them back on again and this might sort out your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Woo hoo, it turned out to be the wrong firmware (ver 3.0 something) as "skycards" suggested. I did a backup as per the instructions and badabing. I used a homebase discount card (the best use for it) turned upsidedown and just ignored the error screen.

Its a Grundig box, are all the sky remotes the same ?, the box came without it so I need a replacement.

Many thanks for all your excellent help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes all digibox remotes are the same.

If a Digibox has very old SW only stations added via "Other Channels" method work.

FTA = Free to air = Anyone can receive on any Satellite receiver. No card needed (though an EX-Irish Sky Sub may block some channels on EPG). No subscription or initial charge.

FTV = Free to View = Requires correct UK card. Digibox gets CH4, ITV (not E4 or ITV2) and Five. Other Countries have similar schemes (That work on any receiver with CI that is NOT a Digibox). Typically once off charge and/or small annual charge.

Pay TV: Requires active subscription card. Monthly charge depends on "package" agreed.

PPV: Pay Per View. Usually requires a working subscription (Not FTV Card). You are charged for each event you view (automatically via Digibox modem or manually by prior phone call).

A PPV/Subscription card in most countries (e.g. UK) works as a FTV card, during subscription and usually when subscription cancelled. Ireland has NO FTV TV services (FTA Radio though), so a cancelled Irish Sub Card is useless.

You can get Pay TV in Ireland from other suppliers, legally, with a non-Sky Digital receiver, CI slot, CAM (or correct embedded CAM) and the authorised viewing card.

BBC Prime £80 pa approx (Not available to UK addresses!). Will sell Direct to Ireland.
    AB Sat: various packages from €8 per month. Will sell Direct to Ireland.

Canaal Digitaal, Canal+, NTV, and many others, you need to take out sub with address in that country or use an Agent. Such paid for cards are perfectly legal. In EU only watching Pay TV or PPV, WITHOUT paying the supplier the correct amount is illegal.

Advertisement