Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Half Life Speedrun (speedruns in general)

Options
  • 14-04-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-14-half-life-speed-run-world-record-set-at-20-41

20 minutes or using hacks and glitches and physics modifying effects, if i had the previous record without any of tose at 30 minutes i would be pissed.

Does this class as a speedrun? adding something to the game to make it possible and the editing 300 videos into 1? not really a speed run more of a collage of hacks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, saw that earlier, wouldn't even bother giving him a view. Using glitches/mods to set a record speed run is just f*cking stupid.

I'l never forget the time I was in a competition to win a skateboard when I was a youngfella, the winner being who could get the furthest playing Super Mario Bros in a certain time. I was winning with the best progression until the last guy found a hidden pipe that jumped him 4 levels on.

He was laughing at me while skating away. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I don't consider it a speedrun, its a collage of multiple speedruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bit rich claiming the world record when they used scripts for jumps and pieced together footage.

It's hypnotic to watch but it shouldn't have any kind of proper speedrun recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Thats silly, just jumping over everything, shouldn't count!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

What an odd thing to waste your time on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Watched 5 mins of it. Got annoyed when all they did was glitch their way through the game.

It's not a proper speed run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Sure didn't Lance Armstrong try something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

I've no problem with people using glitches during speedruns - as long as they're part of the original game
    Where I think this attempt fails is that it's made of lots of different speedruns by a few different people all mashed together.
    Added to that, they've used custom scripts for running and jumping - basically modded the game to make doing it in that time possible. Not a proper speedrun in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I can blast through a good chunk of Dark Souls prety quickly, maybe up to Anor Londo, that's just knowing routes and shortcuts though some people do crazy runs through it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That hardly seems a legit speedrun; the runners manipulated the conditions of gameplay so they could make for a faster time, or as it might be called were it a multiplayer match, they cheated. Seems no different to using a trainer or something similar to get a leg up. Anyone know what the best 'unblemished' time for HL is, or was that the previous 29 minute run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Another speedrun popped up on Kotaku today. Super Mario 64 (all 120 stars) in 1h43m.

I thought I knew this game pretty well, but some of this guys shortcuts have to be seen to be believed.

http://kotaku.com/someone-beat-super-mario-64-in-record-time-1566266495

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We used to have races through Super Mario Brothers (my brothers and I) before we knew what a 'speed run' was. (other than Duck hunt, it was our only game for a while) I think the best time we got was between 5
    and 6 minutes. from start to finish using the warp zones.

World record now is just under 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

It should be in a separate category for TSA's, if its not already. I'm fine with that then if it is.

Advertisement