Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Yesterday, 12:13   #946
rossie1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunneros View Post
In same article, Evans says that at least 4 other players are out through injury. Does anyone know who they might be.
paddy brogan, donal ward, donal keane and ian kilbride are all out through injury

i expect it to be

1. D O'Malley
2. S McDermott
3. N Carty
4. N Collins
5. D Keenan
6. N Daly
7. C Cafferkey
8. C Shine
9. M Finneran
10. C Burns
11. K Higgins
12. D Shine
13. S Kilbride
14. C Cregg
15. C Murtagh

Ronan Stack, David O'Gara, Dara Donnelly and Colin Compton will all come on at some stage i suspect, Donnelly might even start in the half forward line after his performance in a challenge with Longford over the weekend.
Advertisement
Yesterday, 12:19   #947
Syferus

Eh? You're not watching very careful if you'd say that. Since training began for the season we've had all of one serious long or even medium term injury, Paddy B. And a broken collarbone has feck all to do with training methods.

Every team in the country has a few players injured pretty much at all times and many unreported knocks and niggles on top of that.

Last edited by Syferus; Yesterday at 12:25.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 12:28   #948
Lemlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syferus View Post
Eh? You're not watching very careful if you'd say that. Since training began for the season we've had all of one serious long or even medium term injury, Paddy B. And a broken collarbone has feck all to do with training methods.

Every team in the country has a few players injured pretty much at all times and many unreported knocks and niggles on top of that.
I agree. I'm not aware of Cavan having any problems at the minute but I'm sure news of some will creep out towards the weekend.

Lads regularly pick up niggles. Against Offaly, for example, only the second game of the league, Cavan were missing Rory Dunne, Alan Clarke, Gearoid McKiernan (only fit to come on as a sub), David Givney, Micheal Lyng and a few others I believe. Several of those missed two to three games of the league through different complaints.

Its why an extended panel is now so important.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 12:32   #949
Syferus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossie1977 View Post
paddy brogan, donal ward, donal keane and ian kilbride are all out through injury

i expect it to be

1. D O'Malley
2. S McDermott
3. N Carty
4. N Collins
5. D Keenan
6. N Daly
7. C Cafferkey
8. C Shine
9. M Finneran
10. C Burns
11. K Higgins
12. D Shine
13. S Kilbride
14. C Cregg
15. C Murtagh

Ronan Stack, David O'Gara, Dara Donnelly and Colin Compton will all come on at some stage i suspect, Donnelly might even start in the half forward line after his performance in a challenge with Longford over the weekend.
Poor Ward has always been injury prone. Picked up an injury after starting the first league game and was fit enough to reach the Irish amateur Elite semi-finals in the boxing but hasn't played since then. If he could get a run of fitness he'd be very near the starting line-up with everyone back.

What's the story with Keane? Saw him and Caff on Saturday at the match and he didn't seem to be limping or injured. Are Killer's problems the same ones he's been dealing with since last year or something else?

I'd have DO'G, Dollars and Comp all ahead of Burns for 10 in all honesty. Dollars if you want a good sweeper, Comp if you want to play on the front foot and DO'G if you want a workhorse. Would be a big change of tact for Evans to name Higgins at 11 when Donie has been spectacular at the position this year. I'd have Higgins on the wing myself but manager after manager have insisted on playing him as if he's a midfielder. Evans has never played Finn/Cathal Shine/Higgins together, iirc.

Last edited by Syferus; Yesterday at 12:40.
Yesterday, 12:37   #950
rossie1977

to be fair to padd b1975, roscommon DO have a habit of playing injured players which then comes back to haunt them.

remember cathal shine in the 2011 connacht under 21 final and he didn't play for another year. a chap on here at the time said that cathal comptons parents pleaded with the roscommon management team NOT to play him in the 2012 connancht minor final...we did anyway and he missed the next few months because of injury.

the under 21s have conor daly, fintan kelly, compton, sweeney out injured
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 12:48   #951
Syferus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossie1977 View Post
to be fair to padd b1975, roscommon DO have a habit of playing injured players which then comes back to haunt them.

remember cathal shine in the 2011 connacht under 21 final and he didn't play for another year. a chap on here at the time said that cathal comptons parents pleaded with the roscommon management team NOT to play him in the 2012 connancht minor final...we did anyway and he missed the next few months because of injury.

the under 21s have conor daly, fintan kelly, compton, sweeney out injured
Aye, our treatment of underage players is one thing we need to address but none of the senior team's injuries above are because of that. We're also not the only county to be flogging our best young players.

Cathal Compton only returned to non-contact training last month, the poor lad's young career has been beset by too many injuries to name already. He's probably already concentrating on the club championship and 2015 with the U21s, he pretty much didn't feature this year at all. All the other injuries will be cleared up by the final.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 14:54   #952
beggars_bush

That's what happens with a small playing pool. Injuries to key players.
Poor mobility and conditioning work are also issues.

Most injuries are soft tissue issues that can be avoided.
Yesterday, 20:13   #953
Gunneros

Quote:
Originally Posted by padd b1975 View Post
I honestly can't believe how difficult it seems to be for Roscommon to get their best 15 on the field fully fit.

This happens at all levels from minor up.

Is it training methods?

Super competitive club scene?

Every time there is a big match on the horizon there seems to be niggles and worse all over the field....

Serious handicap for a county with a small enough population.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions about poor conditioning, mobility etc. Arsenal are supposed to have the very best and cutting edge medical facilities available to them but are now carrying out an internal investigation into the injury crisis that derailed them recently. I think it is more to do with a lack of depth and therefore no long term thinking. I believe Ultan Harney is only getting by on injections on a game to game basis for the u-21s. When that finishes I'm sure clann would like him available for the summer. Big decisions for a young fella.
Yesterday, 20:37   #954
Syferus

Ultan's awaiting surgery. It's almost 100% that he's getting treated as fast as humanly possible after May 3rd.

I think Harney is still in charge of Clann so he's not going to flog his own family.
Advertisement
Yesterday, 20:41   #955
megadodge

Was talking to Donal Ward in Portlaoise and he's having an operation on the pubic/hip area sometime in the next two weeks. He said it's this that has been at the base of all his injuries in the last year or two. He's expecting to be out for 3 months.

I hope this sorts out the injuries, because IMO he's our best half-back. He can defend and attack equally well and is as cool as they come.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion