Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stiff clutch

Options
  • 13-03-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently got a new (to me) mini and the clutch is really stiff, just wondering if it would be safe to spray some wd40 at it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

hats199 wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently got a new (to me) mini and the clutch is really stiff, just wondering if it would be safe to spray some wd40 at it.

Thanks

I have had an 03 mini for 6 years and the clutch has always been stiff, most people I have spoken to (especially women) find the same. The Cooper S appears to have a stiffer clutch than the Cooper.
    Don't think a squirt of wd40 will help much, though I've never tried it, just found I got used to the stiffer clutch over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Thanks, its a mini one actually, but I'll deffo have to do something about it, its only been a week and my knee is killing me from it. Might as well give the wd40 a go I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Are you sure it's not something like a release bearing on the clutch plate. Sounds more like a clutch issue than a pedal issue unless the pedal feels like it's getting stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Spraying WD40 wont help things at all. Make sure you don't spray any lubricant of any description into the bell housing or you'll have no clutch at all.

Ask someone that has the same car to compare. If it's stiffer than the norm, you'll need a new clutch to sort it.

Considering I have no idea what the bell housing is, I think I'd better leave it off. Will take it back to the man I suppose. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Spray some WD40 on the door handles. It won't help with the clutch but it will stop the handles from becoming sticky.
    Seriously though, I've driven loads of Minis and never noticed the clutch being particularly heavy on any of them. I think it it sounds like the pressure plate is on the way out. Is the biting point very close to the floor?

As long as I get to spray some wd40 I'll be happy. Yes you're right, the biting point is right at the floor. Is this something that would be considered structurally wrong and therefore should be fixed under warranty?

As long as I get to spray some wd40 I'll be happy. Yes you're right, the biting point is right at the floor. Is this something that would be considered structurally wrong and therefore should be fixed under warranty?

Generally speaking, clutches would not be covered in used cars. But if the car was bought from a main dealer it may have a better warranty. Have you the car long. Do you think it was like that when you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can try a bit of wd40 inside the car on the mechanics of the pedal but usually old pedal linkage will also make a noise when pressed.
    Tbh, I'd find a local Mini mech and ask them to give it a push, they have experience from tons of cars so will know if it's a problem or a "feature".

I have the car a week, it was like that when I bought it, it just took a week to realise it was going to be a problem. So you think I'd be safe to spray it inside the car onto the clutch?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I have the car a week, it was like that when I bought it, it just took a week to realise it was going to be a problem. So you think I'd be safe to spray it inside the car onto the clutch?

Spray away, but you'd be better off using it as deodorant for all those good it will do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

whupdedo wrote: »
    Spray away, but you'd be better off using it as deodorant for all those good it will do

so her clutch is gone......and she stinks as well......:p

Did you get any kind of a verbal or written warranty with it. Did you bring a mechanic with you when you bought it. Something like this should have been easy enough to spot. I would definitely bring it back but you might have a fight on your hands.
    Forget the WD40.

Yeah I had it taken to a mini dealer, I got the report back and there was nothing in it about the clutch. Car came with a 3 month warranty. Maybe putting the wd40 on my creaky knee is the answer. Pits-wise I'm fine like.

Right, it depends on the wording of the warranty so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I don't know what type of clutch you have (pull or push type) or how it's operated (cable or hydraulic) so hard to tell

What engine and year?

Advertisement