Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Oh there's twice the number of Galway women on POF than OKCupid

Definitely, and they seem to be online more frequently too.
    (In saying that...I still have yet to get a date out of it!:mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Is POF advertised more than OKCupid?

• Larianne wrote: »
    Is POF advertised more than OKCupid?

Are either advertised here?

Maybe not. Just wondering why its more popular than OKC?

• Larianne wrote: »

Maybe not. Just wondering why its more popular than OKC?

Probably because it spreads faster through word-of-mouth. Most would find POF better than OKCupid, because there isn't as much needed to complete your profile on the former than the latter. Heck, a lot of profiles I see on POF are just "don't know what to say", so I can't imagine these willing to do all the necessary steps it would take to fully complete a profile on OKCupid and get it to 100%

• Advertisement

Yeah, probably an ease factor. Personally I prefer the brightness of POF. OkCUpid is too dark. Could also be a factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Bugger. It seems that you do have to upgrade to meet new people on POF.com??

I thought it was free? It's the same on POF Ireland.

Bugger. It seems that you do have to upgrade to meet new people on POF.com??

I thought it was free? It's the same on POF Ireland.

Well I am chatting to a guy who only joined 3 days ago and I haven't upgraded. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

duke916 wrote: »
    how are people with 'coffee' dates?

i thought the usual was a few light drinks somewhere to relax, bit of music on in the background and chat? Was on a coffee date a while ago and felt like i was being grilled to death. question after question. she was like one of those toys dolls with a string out the back....yak yak yak!

Personally I would prefer a coffee date as a first date (as it is easy to escape from :D ), though a few drinks with background music sounds good too. My first internet date was a dinner date and it pretty much was an interrogation :eek:

i just sent a message to someone else there.

how do u chat with someone on pof? The site seems awkward to use?

Help/advise welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Larianne wrote: »
    I think this is the main flaw with internet dating. You don't have the body language or voice or eye contact to get you interested in someone as you converse with them. People take bad photos and can structure their profiles badly. One phrase could have a person say "no thanks" due to taking the tone or context of the phrase up wrong.

Do you have to reveal you are separted on OKC? I'd leave it out and see if there is a difference. And maybe give POF a go for a week. ;)

I've thought of doing that Lar, - as an experiment, but given the low numbers on OKC in general I think I'd be rumbled quickly, and also it would feel like lying. I've a huge issue with dishonesty in relationships, - recently I saw a poster in another forum saying she was going to take at least three years off her age on the sites, like WTF, What kind of a way is that to begin:rolleyes:

On the other bit you quoted, - yeah, it's the body language and the other stuff that makes it or not for you when you're chatting face to face, and also, you can reveal the minuses bit by bit over an hour or so, in which time you'll either be 'in there' or not regardless.

johnr1 wrote: »
    I've thought of doing that Lar, - as an experiment, but given the low numbers on OKC in general I think I'd be rumbled quickly, and also it would feel like lying. I've a huge issue with dishonesty in relationships, - recently I saw a poster in another forum saying she was going to take at least three years off her age on the sites, like WTF, What kind of a way is that to begin:rolleyes:

On the other bit you quoted, - yeah, it's the body language and the other stuff that makes it or not for you when you're chatting face to face, and also, you can reveal the minuses bit by bit over an hour or so, in which time you'll either be 'in there' or not regardless.

It is strange. Being separated wouldn't put me off someone and I didn't think it would matter for most women. :confused: Having children might be a different story though.

I think its time to head over to the dark side (POF)! :pac:

Oh, its a HUGE part of it, no doubt. It is why I think you should meet people off the sites sooner rather than later.

• i just sent a message to someone else there.

Do you mean via the instant messenger feature? Don't use it from the very beginning - most women really dislike when guys do that. Send them a mail first to initiate contact and then let it progress from there. If you're having trouble getting replies, send me a link to your profile in a PM on here and I'll take a look.

i just sent a message to someone else there.

Help/advise welcome.

I never use the chat function myself. THere is usually chat written in green under their picture in the WHo's on line section.

Do you mean via the instant messenger feature? Don't use it from the very beginning - most women really dislike when guys do that. Send them a mail first to initiate contact and then let it progress from there. If you're having trouble getting replies, send me a link to your profile in a PM on here and I'll take a look.

PM sent

I never use the chat function myself. THere is usually chat written in green under their picture in the WHo's on line section.

That's what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

How do you know if someone has blocked you? The strangest thing just happened to me- some dude emailed me saying my profile was really interesting but it is a pity I found the animal cruelty in my photos funny.

Now I have a photo up with man on a bicycle and a goat on his back. I wrote back and asked what was wrong with it- I honestly can't see the animal cruelty and he sent me back a 'huff and puff' response about how if I cared, I would see it for myself and then my name disappeared from the conversation. Have I been blocked? It all happened in the space of about 3 minutes. :confused::confused: I am still reeling from the mind eff.

Someone please look at the photo and let me know what I can't see.

• Replied just there, probably wasn't what you were hoping for, but like I said there, your profile is fine. Just keep trying.

There are some women that will reply if you send them a chat request first, but most wouldn't.

[/B]

That's what I'm talking about.

Click on that and an instant messanger pops up. People can decline the chat though.

• Itwasntme. wrote: »
    How do you know if someone has blocked you? The strangest thing just happened to me- some dude emailed me saying my profile was really interesting but it is a pity I found the animal cruelty in my photos funny.

Now I have a photo up with man on a bicycle and a goat on his back. I wrote back and asked what was wrong with it- I honestly can't see the animal cruelty and he sent me back a 'huff and puff' response about how if I cared, I would see it for myself and then my name disappeared from the conversation. Have I been blocked? It all happened in the space of about 3 minutes. :confused::confused: I am still reeling from the mind eff.

Someone please look at the photo and let me know what I can't see.

Are you in the photo at all?

If his name has vanished from your inbox and the messages to him from the sent box, then you've been blocked.

• Advertisement

Replied just there, probably wasn't what you were hoping for, but like I said there, your profile is fine. Just keep trying.

There are some women that will reply if you send them a chat request first, but most wouldn't.

That's grand.........it aint gonna happen overnight.

What do you mean by the second bit?

Are you in the photo at all?

If his name has vanished from your inbox and the messages to him from the sent box, then you've been blocked.

No, I am not in the photo. The photo was taken from a car of an unknown driver on a bicycle with a goat on his back. The goat is not strapped to his back but rather holding on with its front legs around his shoulders and its hind legs around his waist.

How can that not be funny? But then again, I am the same person who received a warning a few days on here for saying something I thought was funny but was apparently inappropriate.

I must be insensitive. Or maybe people in the west are a little too sensitive. :D

• That's grand.........it aint gonna happen overnight.

What do you mean by the second bit?

As in if you send a chat request without initiating contact via mail first, then a lot of women won't accept. I'm not entirely sure why.

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    No, I am not in the photo. The photo was taken from a car of an unknown driver on a bicycle with a goat on his back. The goat is not strapped to his back but rather holding on with its front legs around his shoulders and its hind legs around his waist.

How can that not be funny? But then again, I am the same person who received a warning a few days on here for saying something I thought was funny but was apparently inappropriate.

I must be insensitive. Or maybe people in the west are a little too sensitive. :D

THis is on your dating profile? I'd get rid of it to be honest. I don't see the point of putting up a photo if you're not even in it. Nevermind whether or not its goat cruelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Newsflash !

Phone just pinged there, and I looked to see which of you had replied on the thread, - No, a reply to a message sent about a week ago, 94% match, and she's looking for a coffee date - Sunday. I'm away home but surely we'l get something lined up for during the week or next weekend.

What was I whining about there all day again? Oh yeah, not getting replies wasn't it? :D

As in if you send a chat request without initiating contact via mail first, then a lot of women won't accept. I'm not entirely sure why.

I would imagine it's sort of like the blind dating of online dating. Emailing is a lot smoother all around.

THis is on your dating profile? I'd get rid of it to be honest. I don't see the point of putting up a photo if you're not even in it. Nevermind whether or not its goat cruelty.

But why? *pout* I really like that photo. I actually had a guy email me asking to steal it. He said goats were his favourite animal and he thought the photo brilliant.

• Itwasntme. wrote: »
    But why? *pout* I really like that photo. I actually had a guy email me asking to steal it. He said goats were his favourite animal and he thought the photo brilliant.

To me, a picture like that instead of an actual photo somewhat gives off the impression that you're not serious about the whole online dating business and would put me off to an extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

My thoughts on it would be that anyone that has those types of pictures up are just piss takers,and not the good kind tbh.Not saying you are of course,but thats perception for ya!

• Advertisement

I dunno, the pictures are meant to be of you. I think its against the rules if the picture is not of yourself. I know there was a report function if it didn't show the person's face or wasn't a cartoon etc. Not sure if its still like that.

You could re-create the picture with yourself in it.That'd be fun! :D

Go Johnny R! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement