Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair thining of young men

• 04-11-2011 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hi there,
    I am a 19 yr old male student and my hair is very thin. Compare to my bros and friends my hair is very thin. like i have short hair but when it goes long i would expect to thicken up a little but no. people have said it to me before. i am kinda self conscious about it so would love if anyone could help with this. i would love for me to have a better head of hair, kinda cheesy i know but i would.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Pawsome54

Google "Propecia", apparently its the best tablets you can take for it. Its prescription though as far as I know. I actually found out about it through boards.ie, I heard a good few people singing its praises on a couple of threads. I'm gonna look into it myself too, bit worried bout the aul male paternal baldness kicking in too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

embrace the bald,shave it all and enjoy :P
    thats what i do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Spectral DNC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Probably the wrong forum as all the regulars here have embraced the, er, aero dynamic look.

Growing your hair long wont thicken it. If anything it can drag on it and show up the thinning all the more.

Do you have a history of balding in your family (mothers AND father's side)?

You may not like to hear this, but if you're thinning at 19 it doesn't look good to keep it even using the likes of Propecia/rogaine. Besides, I don't think Propecia can be got through traditional channels in Ireland.

However, there are other reasons for losing hair, such as stress. If you don't have a family history of it you might want to got to a doctor. 19 is very young. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

My brother started to go bald around 17 and and he lost it very fast, he just shaved it all off, anything else just looks crap on a young man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Well lad, I started to notice i'm losing the hair and i'm 19. Hair has receeded and is thining on top(noticeably balding to me but I doubt anyone else would see unless they are looking for it). Search the internet, you'll find the 3 main things to stop or slow down it are Finasteride(propecia) Minoxidil and Nizoral anti dandruff shampoo. hair restoration Blackrock will get you a prescription for Finasteride. Although Imo they are unprofessional. Didn't even check my head for MPB. Which it highly likely is but still. Minoxidil can be bought over the counter, it's called Rogain, but I recommend Ebay for that since it's much cheaper and exactly the same product(the patent ran out for Minoxidil so Kirkland stole it). Kirkland Minoxidil. Nizoral is over the counter too and helps stop the build up of the stuff that makes hair fall out(it's called Dihydro testosterone).

Problem is side effects. Finasteride can cause permanent loss of sexual function and make it stay limp for good basically.(worst case scenario and rare), I experienced this very mildly when I noticed it wasn't as hard as it should be, so I lowered the dosage and it's all grand. I've been taking Minoxidil for about 2 months, Finas for about 1 and Nizoral for about 2.5 months and on hairline I can already see regrowth. Hairloss with treatment gets much worse before it gets better too so and 6 months is recommend before results start to show(the first 6 months are the worst apparently as affected hair from DHT just drops out for a while and grows back within a year) the 6 months is for Finasteride, Mioxidil can show results within two months. Eh...yeah that's it really. You could just shave it off if your willing. Most people know baldness doesn't suit everyone though so just assess yourself on that if you're thinking about it.(guarantee your friends will get used to it within a few months though) getting a 1 all over will make it less noticeable.

Cost is about 200-300 a year as well. I dunno if a GP will give prescription for Finas but HRBR cost 150 for a visit. So think about the cost of it as well. My main reason for waiting was because I was afraid to tell my mam I was basically balding, then I told her and that was it and I was shi* scared of the side effects of Finasteride.

Finas is by far the most effective Hair loss treatment btw. The 3 together are very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 karlito0000

google poland hair transplant,there is a place advertising for about 2300 sterling might be worth a look

God no you can't get a hair transplant when you're only thinning. More hair will just thin out and you'll be left with what you started with....requiring a second hair transplant to cover up the first(so on so forth). Although if you have the thousands there to spare, go ahead. Also i'm not sure about this, but after a hair transplant, it's recommended you take Finasteride to stop the transplanted hair from getting DHT damaged and also falling out. Hair transplants are typically for advanced baldness

male-baldness.gif

The first few stages can be completely stopped for up to 15 years on Finasteride alone. Hair transplant just isn't right for anyone who still has some of a fringe for example. Check out Wayne rooney, he got a big bald patch on the front of his head covered up. It was all bald so that's why a transplant is the best thing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lotar

the only way is to use Matt Gardson's method and homemade masks
    I've been on it for about a year and my hair has constantly got thicker and thicker, even full sunlight now doesn't even show my scalp
    or,..another option is to simply shave the head bald

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Pepper and Mustard - Really! Where's my credit card - must give this guy $16

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cflanagan

This is a rare case as usually men this young don't get hair thinning unless there are other underlying conditions. Have it check with your dermatologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

If you're using shampoo with sodium laureth sulfate (google it) in it (i.e: most if not all of the main brands), stop. I'm 20 and I haven't used shampoo in about 6 months. I think it's slowed the thinning a bit, but it's impossible to say for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Mod Edit: Propecia has known side effects for one's gentleman's equipment.

I agree side effects of Propecia happen much more than 2% of the time, but as far as i've found in my internet travels, barely anyone gets the persistent side effects. Only those on Propeciahelp as far as i've seen(which makes sense since that's where they hang). I had side effects so far, although i'm not sure if it's me or the drug(when you think more about the problem, it takes your mind of the arousal). From week 3, it was harder to get it up. BUT that is on my own while barely in the mood(but enough for a ****). Anyway, if more than slightly in the mood it's up fully like it should be. I was taking 1.25mg. I simply cut the pills up even smaller in .625 mg which got rid of the side effect almost entirely. Atm, my mickey works perfectly. This is 3 months in. Just remember OP. There is a chance, it is a very small chance, but a high risk, that your cock will stop working in a sexual way. Have a look at propecia help. But they have blown it madly out of proportion, they act as if it's a fact that finasteide will kill your cock. What about those that have been on it for 15+ years with zero side effects besides the full head of hair??

Imo the makers of propecia are lying about the side effects, at least the percentage of people who experience them('d say closer to 30% than 2%) but persistent ones are probably much lower. Here I go saying this like I know anything. It just seems more like that, when talking to people and looking at various forum's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

smcgiff wrote: »
    If you don't have a family history of it you might want to got to a doctor.
    A trichologist might be a better option, there's a good one in Galway, helped me with a spot of alopecia in the beard line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dermooo

Hiya mate.

Firstly if your hair is thining, do something about it now and dont wait for more to fall out. I've been there, tried everything. left it too late and ended up costing me more

Firstly do not take another step or listen to any other 'know all' who thinks they know the cure. There is only one guy you need to speak or email to. That's Spex [not his real name]

Here is his website: http://spexhair.com/

Don't be put out by his website, he is a genuine guy who has gone through years of magic potions, and dodgy hair transplants. I've met him face to face in the UK in pursuit of the perfect head of hair which I now have. Back then he offered everything fro free which he still does only now he sell an info pack on his site.

I use the meds now as maintaince but I left it too late to act on my thinning and had to go to the US to get a PROPER and cost effective hair transplant.

Do not go on any one's recommendations of cheap transplants in Poland or Ireland or UK.

NOT UNLESS SPEX RECOMMENDS THEM!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

My fringe goes around in a M shape around my head should be I worried? Baldness isn't in the family, my Dad isn't bald while my Dad's father wasn't bald and my Mother's father isn't bald. I've seen some people with an M shape hairline but still with hair and they're in their 50s or 60s.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was reading that there is a strong link between the onset of puberty and hair loss and that boys who develop very early are far more susceptible to premature hair loss. Does anyone know if this is true?

There was a fella in my school who started to go bald at 17 and by the time he was 25 had lost most of his hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

that was me .. started losing it about 17 most of it gone by about 25.. before you go paying money for anything just shave it all off and see how you feel about it.

I worried and stressed about it for years ... the last time I went to a Barbers I got him to take it all off .. I was about 22, I will never forget the shock of seeing myself completly bald in his mirror, he even asked me was I ok!!

but since then I have never worried about it and it doesn't bother me one bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

Sorry to hijack...

I'm 24 and in the last 3/4 months my hair has seriously thinned! Up until now ive had quite thick hair so its now gotten very noticable to everyone. Shaving it off isn't an option (really doesn't suit me) any non medical / prescription solutions??

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

God, yis are all getting very serious around here:eek: Getting like a councelling session.
    24 myself, have the whole McDonalds M thing going on, and so what? Your really only delaying the process. When i first started i was a bit worried, after a while i didnt give a shit. I wouldnt let it worry ya man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I officially retired my comb last year when I started shaving my head after a long battle with slow but steady hair loss since the age of 27(I'm 35 now). I should have done it years ago!! - life is so much easier now and I'm no where near as self-concious as I use to be. IMO unless you have hair of the quality of Bobby Ewing et al, your just as well without it and all the faffing about trying to make it look good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

shockwave wrote: »
    My brother started to go bald around 17 and and he lost it very fast, he just shaved it all off, anything else just looks crap on a young man.

ah go on tell him to grow it back then comb it over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Choudary

Greetings Sirs,

Perhaps these gentleman can make growing the hairs on the rear of the head longer, then brush over on top of the front, as I do. This is very much helping to look like a lot of hair is still on the front, and no bald.

Blessings & Regards,

Choudary Chintapalli

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mr.mickels

Onion juice and/or garlic juice rubbed on the scalp very regularly does help with hair-thinning, but you need to be persistent with it and not worry about the strong smell of onions. Look into it. Castor oil is also useful. Some people claim success mixing onion juice with some castor oil and adding cayenne pepper and other such herbs to aid hair growth. Would probably take about 3 months of commitment to see results, added to daily scalp massage, and very important to change what you are eating to avoid acidic foods and start eating alot of alkalising foods instead. Read what you can of it. I also know of another who claims success of reversing complete baldness with his own urine, by both drinking it and rubbing it into the scalp daily!!! Takes commitment to go that far but worth educating yourself on the options. I would have no faith in anything produced by the pharma industry for hairloss. Keep it short is the best advice and don't stress about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I was 16/17 when I first started to notice my hair thinning. I went through my early teens with a fine mop of hair, used even have the nickname of Beavis when in secondary school. But I didn't care one bit.

I was the youngest in the family. There was a strong history of baldness on both sides of my family for generations. I knew i was gonna go bald. I tried everything from gelling it forward, to trying to grow it longer so i could try gel it together and cover the patches.

All efforts were pointless, i was doing nothing but putting off the inevitable. I knew i was gonna go bald eventually, there was no point combating it.

By the time I was sitting my leaving cert (age 19... I did TY) I had resorted to shaving my head with a blade one all over. I was fulyl bald on top by 21 then.

My advice is just give into it, baldness is not as uncommon as one may think at late teens/early 20s. Shave it all off!! "The Lord made so many perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭john.west

Anyone here try a course of the Nourkrin medication or any of their other treatments? If so how did ye find them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Relentleslee

Hi I'm 18 and am also going very thin..I'm just wondering if my GP would be able to help me out? I have a medical card so would I be able to be prescribed something from him to help me? I wouldn't be able to afford anything if I was buying it normally from somewhere else, I really don't know what to do, if anyone could help I would appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Derek_OBrien88

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    A trichologist might be a better option, there's a good one in Galway, helped me with a spot of alopecia in the beard line.

Hey there,

Can you offer more details about the alopecia in the beard line? Similiar situation myself. What sort of treatment did you have? Did it work?

Cheers,

Derek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I officially retired my comb last year when I started shaving my head after a long battle with slow but steady hair loss since the age of 27(I'm 35 now). I should have done it years ago!! - life is so much easier now and I'm no where near as self-concious as I use to be. IMO unless you have hair of the quality of Bobby Ewing et al, your just as well without it and all the faffing about trying to make it look good!!

Same as that. Going light on top for a few years now and this year retired the comb for good. Going the comb over route or spending money on products that won't work wasn't for me. Keep it shaved to no. 1 level now and it feels great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement