Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Specific ticket question

• 22-06-2007 5:52pm

Am asking this for a friend (no, really!)...

She was given a ticket by the people she's working for which is from Heuston to Cork tomorrow at 7am, but she doesn't have to be there until much later in the day than the expected time of arrival. The ticket specified seat numbers. She's basically curious as to whether she can use the ticket for a later journey without having a pre-booked seat.

If there's some information that's missing I'll try and update.

Thanks!

Edit: Obviously I've tried Iarnród Éireann but they are only there 9 - 5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You should be able to get through to one of the stations. I'd try all the phone numbers in the phone book if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Quick answer is if

It is a standard class ticket it is only valid on the train shown (unless said train is cancelled)

If its a first class ticket it is valid in second class on any other train that day to that destination

As of Wednesday yield management is in place so the price paid is now linked to the train you travel on and the number of seats sold.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MarkoP11 wrote:
    As of Wednesday yield management is in place so the price paid is now linked to the train you travel on and the number of seats sold.

Was there any press release or announcement issued on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Its on the front page of the IE site, the exact nature of the system is unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭markpb

I must be blind then because I can't see anything on either of their sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

markpb wrote:
    I must be blind then because I can't see anything on either of their sites.

What is being referred to is the introduction of reduced single fares that are on offer to web-based bookings only. The link is in the centre of the website homepage.

That's for the replies - she got the 7am train after all.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

They let me use my first-class booking for the 19:00 ex Dublin on the 17:00 which was handy. I noticed alright that fares on the webpage were dearer for certain trains .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Its on the front page of the IE site, the exact nature of the system is unknown.

A Quick check on a one way ticket to Cork next Wednesday is €31. To return the next day, it's €61, so it's pretty much half a return to make a single trip.

Interestingly, there is a €6 fee to "reserve" a seat; I assume that it won't be applied if you are travelling to Cork and avail of this option....

Advertisement