Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

S3 Unlocked then Locked.

• 28-01-2015 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all.
    I have a bit of a query, I used a local shop to unlock my Galaxy S3 and all was fine, I used it in Ireland for the past year and just put a uK sim in it and it is refusing it asking for Network Code which I don't understand. Call me thick but I swear that I used it in Coleraine last year for the NW200. Any ideas you tech minded guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

just go to ebay and get an unlock code for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bluealligator

Thanks Daytob but I am well aware of buying codes ect but I am trying to find out how it can re-lock itself, after all no good buying another code only for the same thing to happen later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

daytob wrote: »
    just go to ebay and get an unlock code for it.

Sounds easy, but there was a problem with the unlock servers recently and codes were bumped up to as much as £99 to stop people buying.

As I said in my original post on this thread, I am asking if anyone has any knowledge or experience of why this should lock itself again after something like a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Have you owned the handset yourself from new? If not then chances are it could be IMEI blocked in the UK on UK Sims

• Advertisement

I bought it brand new from Vodafone shop some 3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

You'll be fine. The only real way of it getting relocked is if you had to get some work done to it and the engineer reset the whole thing back to stock.

But it won't matter. Once you get your unlock code from wherever ( I'd recommend Ebay, way cheaper) , you will always have that unlock code in your emails or wherever you store this information, so you can unlock it should you need.

I can see exactly what your saying but its never been out of sight let alone repaired. Be interested if anyone else has had the same problme.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I can see exactly what your saying but its never been out of sight let alone repaired. Be interested if anyone else has had the same problme.

When you say you used it in the north before I assume you mean you put a UK SIM in it then instead of your Irish SIM and it worked fine?

Otherwise it reads to me that you were still using your Irish SIM and it worked fine roaming on a different network, which is entirely different to putting a different SIM in it. you probably know this, but just checking as it doesn't seem clear to me.

As I originally said I paid a shop to unlock it for me, then when working on the NW200 I put my UK sim in it and used it for the week I was there to ring home ect. I then reverted back to my ie sim and alls well. I have now purchased a new phone and will be using it in ie and the old S3 for my uk number however when putting the same uk sim in it that I used before, its looking for an unlock code. It has had no reason to be reset as its not been worked on at all. I dont understand this at all. I worked for Samsung until last year and so solved many problems for customers but no one came with this issue.I am now quite interested to hear if anyone else has had the same problem and how they over came it as it seems silly to spend money on a new unlock code and it does the same again after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you bought it from Vodafone, why don't you ask Vodafone to unlock it? After 3 years, you should be able to get this, and for free too!

Have checked with them, as is everything here its just a rip off, they not guided by the rules others play by, €127 topup before they release code.

I genuinely can't figure out exactly what you are looking for on this?:confused:

Just get the code on ebay for a few quid and keep it safe and if you ever need the code again you have it there to use.

I don't understand your confusion myself. Was a simple question. Has anyone else had this problem and what caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Did you do a software update recently?

I don't understand your confusion myself. Was a simple question. Has anyone else had this problem and what caused it.

For someone looking for help you really are being very arrogant towards people here. If it's a simple question as you state then answer it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

hallo dare wrote: »
    I genuinely can't figure out exactly what you are looking for on this?:confused:

Just get the code on ebay for a few quid and keep it safe and if you ever need the code again you have it there to use.

It's not difficult - the phone has been unlocked already, but is now asking for a code again. OP is asking if anyone else has seen this. I have heard of some unlock methods resetting after updates, but I don't know enough about it to respond here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dwalsh58

I bought it brand new from Vodafone shop some 3 years ago.

Why not get the unlock code from Vodafone and try that, they have to issue it to you if you are out of contract. I don't understand these people telling you to lash out money on eBay when the phone has already relocked itself. Doh.

It's not difficult - the phone has been unlocked already, but is now asking for a code again. OP is asking if anyone else has seen this. I have heard of some unlock methods resetting after updates, but I don't know enough about it to respond here.

I know that, i commented that fix already, but he's still not happy with that, that is what as me confused.

Dwalsh58 wrote: »
    Why not get the unlock code from Vodafone and try that, they have to issue it to you if you are out of contract. I don't understand these people telling you to lash out money on eBay when the phone has already relocked itself. Doh.

Did you read the previous page?

• Advertisement

Ok lets start again as this is getting pretty silly. Firstly i paid to have the phone unlocked a year ago, since then nothing has been done to it and it has worked fine. I put my UK sim in it for a trip recently and it now wants an unlock code.
    I do not want to spend any money on codes either from local shops or ebay or in fact google as there are hundred happy to take your cash if the same thing is going to happen again. Vodafone as is their way want €127 to issue the code as its pyg I dont feel the fone is worth that much as I have had it for 3 years so not interested in that option.
    I will spend money on a code if I can find out why it has reset itself to locked and will not do it again, hence the reason for my question. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did they solve it.
    I am not being arrogant Hallo Dare just fed up with keep being told buy a code from ebay, I will if I can get help with my question.
    I hope that clears it up and clearly explains the situation.

Did you read the previous page?

I did yeah, so why did it relock? That's the question and nobody has worked on the device. Read the man's posts.

I did yeah, so why did it relock? That's the question and nobody has worked on the device. Read the man's posts.

What??? You told him to go get the unlock code from Vodafone after it was already mentioned, so get off your high horse

What??? You told him to go get the unlock code from Vodafone after it was already mentioned, so get off your high horse

So I'm on a high horse, you're the one told him to answer his own question. And the reason I told him to go to Vodafone was the same as yours. So, back to the original question, why did it relock.

Ok lets start again as this is getting pretty silly. Firstly i paid to have the phone unlocked a year ago, since then nothing has been done to it and it has worked fine. I put my UK sim in it for a trip recently and it now wants an unlock code.
    I do not want to spend any money on codes either from local shops or ebay or in fact google as there are hundred happy to take your cash if the same thing is going to happen again. Vodafone as is their way want €127 to issue the code as its pyg I dont feel the fone is worth that much as I have had it for 3 years so not interested in that option.
    I will spend money on a code if I can find out why it has reset itself to locked and will not do it again, hence the reason for my question. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did they solve it.
    I am not being arrogant Hallo Dare just fed up with keep being told buy a code from ebay, I will if I can get help with my question.
    I hope that clears it up and clearly explains the situation.

Vodafone more than likely locked it as you still owe them over €100 for to get the code. That's why if you have your own code to hand you can unlock it again should this happen.

They cannot block your phone via imei as it's not reported stolen. If you're not been arrogant you could atleast acknowledge a helping post instead of running it down

So I'm on a high horse, you're the one told him to answer his own question. And the reason I told him to go to Vodafone was the same as yours. So, back to the original question, why did it relock.

You're a great addition to this forum with only 10 posts in. This place was going to sh!t and you've just confirmed that.

You're a great addition to this forum with only 10 posts in. This place was going to sh!t and you've just confirmed that.

That's funny, you're typical of these forums, a little knowledge and you think you are God, the op asked a simple question, you eventually gave a reasonable answer but not before being insulting, and it makes no difference how many posts I have on here. Get a life.

Vodafone more than likely locked it as you still owe them over €100 for to get the code. That's why if you have your own code to hand you can unlock it again should this happen.

They cannot block your phone via imei as it's not reported stolen. If you're not been arrogant you could atleast acknowledge a helping post instead of running it down

Firstly Vodafone cannot lock the phone back to them as its a PYG and they have no control if I get the code elsewhere as I did. Secondly you obviously consider anyone who disagrees with you as arrogant, ignorant or either turning forums to ****. Your ebay suggestion was not helpful as I did not ask where to get codes from. I asked if anyone else had experienced my problem nothing more. Thank you for your suggestions and I am now outta here.

Good jaysus, one of you as thick as the other. Unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Good jaysus, one of you as thick as the other. Unreal

you're missing misunderstanding this guy from the start. & now you think he owes vodafone money :pac:

he HAD got his own code, unlocked the phone, used it. all good
    now though it's locked again, why?

that's all he wants to know

Advertisement