Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Who Led Walking Protest Has His Dole Cut

• 05-04-2012 1:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

UPROAR AS MAN WHO LED WALKING PROTEST HAS HIS DOLE CUT
    The man who led a walk from Donegal to Dublin in protest at austerity measures has had his dole cut.

Joe Murphy from Culdaff in Co Donegal captured the public’s imagination when he went on the massive walk and even appeared on the Late Late Show.
    But the unemployed builder has revealed how he has had four days of his dole money cut.
    He revealed “I was allowed 12 days holidays and I think everyone on the dole is entitled to that.
    “But I was cut four days dole money because they said I was unavailable for work. Because I was on the protest walk, they said I was not available.
    “Does that mean if I go for a walk down the town then they can turn off my dole,” he said.

Joe said he knows that the order to cut his dole money came from the top down.
    He said he had absolutely no problem with the staff of his local social welfare office in Buncrana.
    He even revealed how local staff had written him a cheque for €310 to keep him going.
    “I have nothing against the staff in Buncrana. They have been more than helpful. They are only following orders.

I know this came from Dublin. I went down to the office in Buncrana and they kindly wrote me a cheque for €310. They bent over backwards for me.
    “Without that money I would not have been able to have breakfast this week.
    “Because I lost four days on the dole there was no money for my family.
    “My wife had to depend on the goodwill of family and friends,” he said.

* http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/04/05/uproar-as-man-who-led-walking-protest-has-his-dole-cut/

A strange case.
    I can see both sides of the argument but I'd (and many others it might seem) like to hear who it was exactly "Up-High" that ordered that he get slapped with this punishment!
    Has someone political decided to try and pressurise him, to shut him up and/or try stop his political household protests (given his media success already, doing quite well) from continuing?

Something just don't smell right with this.
    I suspect someone might want him silenced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    That'll learn him to keep his mouth shut when he's sucking on the teat of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Well I'm quite sure none of our politicians who are being paid out of the public pocket would ever dream of doing a few rounds of golf or taking a few hours for personal use when they are on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

That is very very petty.
    I wonder if came to 100 euro. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

very odd indeed, i think its ridiculous really, what a good way to give this guy more attention whoever decided on the course of action btw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Biggins wrote: »
    * http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/04/05/uproar-as-man-who-led-walking-protest-has-his-dole-cut/

A strange case.
    I can see both sides of the argument but I'd (and many others it might seem) like to hear who it was exactly "Up-High" that ordered that he get slapped with this punishment!
    Has someone political decided to try and pressurise him, to shut him up and/or try stop his political household protests (given his media success already, doing quite well) from continuing?

Something just don't smell right with this.
    I suspect someone might want him silenced?

Sounds too conspiracy theoy to me. He was on telly publicly showing he wasn't available for work. Tough luck but if them's the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

media success? This is the first time I've heard of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

To be clear.
    A person on the dole is entitled to a number of days 'off' but to be correct according to their dole receiving conditions, must in advance, notify their nearest social Security office of those desired days.

If he didn't in advance tell them of the days he was going to be 'unavailable' - technically he was indeed breaking their rules.
    Now if it was done with a political bias really behind it - thats a whole worrying aspect altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

As the Garlic man found out you dont fcuk with the State:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What was his walking protest about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

If he didn't in advance tell them of the days we was going to be 'unavailable' - technically he was indeed breaking their rules.

If this is the case then he's brought the punishment on himself. It's a obvious point to make but I'll make it. If he walked out of a job for several days without informing his boss he'd be sacked/warned, this is no different.

Even if it's some conspiracy from "high-up" he gave them the ammunition.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »

people on the dole ;)

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The man who led a walk from Donegal to Dublin in protest at austerity measures has had his dole cut.

From the article.
    smokedeels wrote: »
    ...Even if it's some conspiracy from "high-up" he gave them the ammunition.

No argument there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

In fairness, if someone is not avilable for work then I see no problem with cutting their dole for those days. And I say that as someone who has been on the dole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

So protesting is illegal now ?
    he should take them to the supreme court

• Registered Users Posts: 23,952 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Congrats to the dole office for creating a martyr. Pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Did they give him a call during those days with the offer of a job or something?

Bit stupid if they didn't considering he might have stopped what he was doing if they had a job for him.

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    So protesting is illegal now ?
    he should take them to the supreme court
    He would lose.
    Technically, he DID break the rules if he did not inform them in advance.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    Congrats to the dole office for creating a martyr. Pure genius.
    They have certainly helped give him more publicity! :pac:
    Whoever might have wanted him to go quietly away, might have scored an own-goal.
    DOH! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

He would lose.
    Technically, he DID break the rules if he did not inform them in advance.

They have certainly helped give him more publicity! :pac:
    Whoever might have wanted him to go quietly away, might have scored an own-goal.
    DOH! :D

maybe he'll do it at weekends next time then or Do you have to be out looking for work 7 days a week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thats a very expensive 310 quid brekkie.

Actually if the Dole office wanted to take him out without martyring him then the offer of a high paying job might have worked.

One with a good dental plan, I hear his daughter Lisa needs braces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I thought the dole was €188 why did he get €310?

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    maybe he'll do it at weekends next time then or Do you have to be out looking for work 7 days a week ?

Don't hold me to it but the only day you might be in the clear, is a Sunday.
    Any other day, you have to inform them about.
    (Open to be wrong)
    toexpress wrote: »
    Additional payment for kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Good enough for him.

He should have brought some CVs to hand in to all the businesses he passed on his way.

If you're not at least looking for work you shouldn't get dole.

They should really send inspectors round IDing all the spongers at the LUAS stops as well and cutting their dole.

hardCopy wrote: »
    all the spongers at the LUAS stops as well and cutting their dole.

The lads standing by the ticket machine that your change shoots out of?

hmmm.... he's probably not got a job offer 656 days yet he goes for a walk and they cut his dole, that just stinks imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They should really send inspectors round IDing all the spongers at the LUAS stops as well and cutting their dole.

They're probably on disability allowance.(whatever the latest title of it is now)

...They should really send inspectors round IDing all the spongers at the LUAS stops as well and cutting their dole.
    Some people standing around those machines, might be going or just coming from job interviews too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Don't hold me to it but the only day you might be in the clear, is a Sunday.
    Any other day, you have to inform them about.
    (Open to be wrong)

Additional payment for kids?

Do they get that as well? I thought that was the children's allowance? Surely their dole isn't increased based on the number of children they have

• Registered Users Posts: 23,952 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

toexpress wrote: »

They probably threw in some travelling expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

who said he wasnt available for work . im sure if, while on his walk, someone offered him a job he could have taken it.

Advertisement