Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

No comment.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

"A railwat from Derrry to Cork" ...There already is a railway from Derry to Cork...how many made THAT journey in the past year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

westtip - you better watch out or this lot http://www.linkingeuropeanddonegal.org/ will spoil you plans for a Euro-Cycleway from Tralee to Derry. They seem to be making great progress - domain name purchased 12/1/11 and website live on 15/4/11 - surely the first through express can't be far behind. :D

They missed the boat the website should have been set up on the first of the month, Ever so slighly mis-informed as well judging by their mission statement on the opening page.
    In 1976, the old railway line between Limerick and Sligo was closed. A few years ago, the section between Limerick and Ennis was re-opened, and in March 2010, the section from Ennis to Galway via Athenry was re-opened. This has been hugely successful in terms of passenger usage.

I don't think Mr. V. will quite agree with their optimism, apparently its down as low as 4,300 passengers a month now.

Sure I admire their enthusiasm but it is a forlorn hope in the current climate and lets face it folks it ain't happening soon, its just a red herring.

I was on the Great Western Greenway on Easter Sunday - it is hopping - hundreds of people using it, bought the kids a takeaway in Newport after they had done a few miles on it - the chipper said its done wonders for his business - - Tired Hungry Tourists - just what we need in this country.

corktina wrote: »
    "Please contact Rev David Crooks "

:D

been there done that

"Dear Sir,

The WRC Galway to Limerick line is a great success, and passenger numbers
    are more than adequate to support the project and its extension northwards.
    Have you been on it -I have and the train was well filled.

EU and cross border funding, the creation of employment and the attraction
    of tourism and industry would pay for most if not all of the project - give
    that some thought.

Yours, D Crooks"

seems I was wrong :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm actually not entirely opposed to the derry cork idea.... now now....here me out.

lets say certain conditions were satisfied, e.g.

1) the relevant county councils would only allow new housing developments that were accessible to the line.

2) the current Limerick-Galway line was re-engineered so that it has a more direct route, double tracking and faster than road journey times.

3) a more direct line between Limerick and Cork(the section that'd actually be used) is built.

4)a tunnel under limerick city is built to facilitate a through service rather than having trains reverse ouf of the station to continue northwards.

5) There is money for it

6) DARTu and MetroN and luas BXD are built FIRST!

7) Bus Eireann runs an express bus service, stopping only at Cork, Limerick, Athenry(connecting service to Galway) and on to Derry. To prove there is demand for such journeys

8) we never again have to hear moaning about a lack of investment in the Wesht that only exists in certain people's fantasies.

• Advertisement

been there done that

"Dear Sir,

The WRC Galway to Limerick line is a great success, and passenger numbers
    are more than adequate to support the project and its extension northwards.
    Have you been on it -I have and the train was well filled.

EU and cross border funding, the creation of employment and the attraction
    of tourism and industry would pay for most if not all of the project - give
    that some thought.

Yours, D Crooks"

seems I was wrong :-)

Yes indeed c'est tres bizarre. Galway to Limerick a great success! 4300 passengers a month on ten trains a day about 14/15 passengers a train = "more than adequate to support the project going further north!"

"EU and cross border funding" - Yeh right a thing of the past!

Attraction of tourism - Nigel and Tarquin ticking it off in their little black books and having a chicken roast dinner and half a pint of shandy every night!

Corky thanks for posting up that reply from the latest holy intervention on this rail line. The more coverage it gets the better as the counter arguments for a greenway will only get louder and louder and more and more convincing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Priest = transport engineer? I don't understand the world anymore! His name says it all though: "Crooks"!! You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If Mgr Horan was alive he'd probably say "it's a priest thing you wouldn't understand" ;)

Incidentally I see 200 people were protesting in Woodlawn about the train not stopping often enough. That must have been 100pc turnout for the area!

But nobody even lives there! Maybe if all the one-off McMansions in the area were built near the station then there'd be some semblance of a reason. Take a look on Google Street View -- so many new houses in the area. Very few of them clustered in any sort of way, and they're all spread out over a 5km radius. How can they begin to demand a station...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Woodlawn should be closed along with Atymon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Woodlawn should be closed along with Atymon.

And Dunsandle and Loughrea....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Woodlawn at least has a loop so if Athlone-Athenry section traffic increases they might have to timetable some stops anyway. Attymon has no similar excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭purplepanda

They still aren't happy 100 million to rebuild this knackered line & they want even more new sections built & new stations as well, plus new tunnels & an extention to Donegal & Cork. :rolleyes:

How about actually using the trains they have at present 5-6 a day each way which connect up to the rest of the rail network, yet they still get the same passenger numbers as the 1 train each way on the South Wexford line used to get without any promotion & publicity according to a post on P11!!!

They've had more than enough spent on rail infastruture & now theres no cash left for them or anyone else!!

Let them try & get a private company & investment to build & run all these extentions & trains like other rail lobby groups have to! :D

They've had more than enough spent on rail infastruture & now theres no cash left for them or anyone else!!

It's beyond funny. I would've assumed that once Galway-Limerick was finished they'd pipe down about inveshtment in the Wesht. And then yet another priest comes along with a hot idea! It's stark mad. Especially considering the "success" of the line, they have some neck campaigning for North West on Track.

Aard wrote: »
    It's beyond funny. I would've assumed that once Galway-Limerick was finished they'd pipe down about inveshtment in the Wesht. And then yet another priest comes along with a hot idea! It's stark mad. Especially considering the "success" of the line, they have some neck campaigning for North West on Track.

I don't think it is going to get the wildly enthusiastic support as West on Track did, (or claimed they had) No doubt they will get the council for th wesht, and every county council to pass a motion of support, the general public will laugh at it - knowing a) there is no money b) there is no money and c) there is no money.

Enda has already endorsed the greenway from Claremorris to Collooney and Sligo County council have put it in their 5 year plan - when this is built and becomes as successful as the great western greenway, the use for the old rail lines in donegal will finally become apparent, what's needed on the old rail lines in Donegal has been blindingly obvious to many people for years. The new Reverend campaigner is merely a fly in the ointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Between West on Track, Luas for Galway, Woodlawn and now Donegal, I'm just wondering is there something in the air west of the Shannon that makes them all want their own model railway sets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Between West on Track, Luas for Galway, Woodlawn and now Donegal, I'm just wondering is there something in the air west of the Shannon that makes them all want their own model railway sets?

begrugery. I was at a meeting where the local TD stood up and, with great theratrics, lambased two goons from IE about "you in Dublin have your motorways, your trains , your buses and your Luases, well we deserve that too". He was almost looking for the country jersey to clutch to his heart as he went, I could swear I could see tears in his eyes. Thing is, it got about two hundred locals very animated.

And that was the midlands.

So you can guess what its like across the shannon, TD's and others using a local sense that Dublin is always ripping them off to inflame the passions to get a railway which they really do not need nor want, but when it gets built its all grand.

14 people using the WRC, mostly on passes. In effect the DSW paying IE who in turn replay by VAT and PRSI into the Revenue to pay it back out to the DSW again. Course those 14 people havent a hope of covering all the staff and other running expenses, but sure thats what the subsidy is for isnt it?

It's like staring at the washine machine for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

How about actually using the trains they have at present 5-6 a day each way which connect up to the rest of the rail network, yet they still get the same passenger numbers as the 1 train each way on the South Wexford line used to get without any promotion & publicity according to a post on P11!!!

Let them try & get a private company & investment to build & run all these extentions & trains like other rail lobby groups have to! :D
    Ok at present it's obvious this corridor isn't working so well. This is more than likely because it's badly run it's fairly expensive to use and the train times don't suit the majority of people for getting to work or getting home in time. At present it's not very attractive to use as it's fairly slow and doesn't serve enough people. They could fill this train it they opened more stations and did a cheap park and ride service the closer it gets to Galway. This line is picking up from where it left off - not competing with the bus service. They're not convincing enough motorists to ditch the car and commute via train. From what i can see Irishrail don't do any commuter type ticketing for commuters using this service. Dublin has the smart card system which is incredible handy. It's not designed or marketed for commuters but simply 'day trips' which wouldn't sustain any rail service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

yer man! wrote: »
    Ok at present it's obvious this corridor isn't working so well. This is more than likely because it's badly run it's fairly expensive to use and the train times don't suit the majority of people for getting to work or getting home in time. At present it's not very attractive to use as it's fairly slow and doesn't serve enough people. They could fill this train it they opened more stations and did a cheap park and ride service the closer it gets to Galway. This line is picking up from where it left off - not competing with the bus service. They're not convincing enough motorists to ditch the car and commute via train. From what i can see Irishrail don't do any commuter type ticketing for commuters using this service. Dublin has the smart card system which is incredible handy. It's not designed or marketed for commuters but simply 'day trips' which wouldn't sustain any rail service.

If you open up more stations it will just slow down the train further. The line has completed its objectives. It has satisfied the train hobbyists elite and has helped O'Cuiv get reelected.

more stations? oh dear God!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

When Sixmilebridge station opened they had heavy handed clampers in place from the first day. that put a lot people off. Now they have abandoned the pay carpark after driving all the customers away.

then its €11 day return from sixmilebridge to limerick, due I believe to the miles travelled by train. But that includes the train taking 3 sides of limerick city to get to destination. not the customers fault.

they needed to start at a reasonable fare, say €5 return and get the punters using it. Then tweak the fares and car parking charges accordingly.

sixmilebridge is an ideal location for railways to be competitive and win market share due to the convoluted bus route alternative but irish rail don't seem to want customers.

Ok are any of ye actually from Galway.....? Stations at oranmore and renmore is what i'm talking about with a large park and ride in oranmore that combined with rail ticket would be cheaper than the bus. The western rail corridor trains would be servicing these stations. I know the oranmore station has gone to tender and is set to open next year. Stations CLOSER to the main centers would help as it would make it into a commuter line rather than a day trip line.

You mean like this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71527302&postcount=60 ? Forget about *any* of the WRC being a commuter service anywhere near Dublin's, even Cork's. All that could be hoped for is a few extra stations *in Galway* on the Athenry line.

And I don't know how anybody can talk about reducing fares on the line. It's already subsidised €50 /pax as it is. The Dart breaks even, that's how Dublin can have fancy smart cards.

Aard wrote: »
    You mean like this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71527302&postcount=60 ? Forget about *any* of the WRC being a commuter service anywhere near Dublin's, even Cork's. All that could be hoped for is a few extra stations *in Galway* on the Athenry line.

And I don't know how anybody can talk about reducing fares on the line. It's already subsidised €50 /pax as it is. The Dart breaks even, that's how Dublin can have fancy smart cards.
    Ok fair enough. WRC shouldn't have been built before other projects which could actually make a profit. I think it could have been better spent on double tracking galway to athenry and turning that into a commuter rail. I wonder if the tuam to galway line would have done better than the galway to limerick?

Tuam has less than 7,000 people, and the distance would be comparable to Galway-Gort (ca. 50 minutes' trip). It wouldn't have had a much different fate.

The money should have gone to, as you say, improving the Galway Suburban.

The Rev Crooks is getting mad:
    Dear xxxx

The campaign to get rail services to the North West has a great deal of support from all political parties, and thousands of people have signed the petition. We in Donegal have the same rights to the same infrastructures, rail and motorway as they have in Kerry and Wexford and Mayo.

There is no need to be rude and use terms like "cloud cuckoo land and get real etc".

Our campaign is realistic and will be pursued.

That is the end of this correspondence with you,

D. Crooks.

Where have we heard this before: support from all political parties, thousands have signed petitions, we have the same rights as etc etc.

Needless to say I did respond to his rather bizarre email......

As for all the other relentless arguments re the failure of the branch line from Ennis to Athenry - I think as many of us wrote several years ago on the old WRC thread and indeed on this one. told you so.....

He certainly has his head in the sand, I asked him where the money was coming from seeing as we are broke...obviously not from him!

I dont think we ned worry about this campaign anyway....hasnt a snowballs chance..at least the WRC still more or less has the alignment available, poor though it is!

He certainly has his head in the sand, I asked him where the money was coming from seeing as we are broke...obviously not from him!

I dont think we ned worry about this campaign anyway....hasnt a snowballs chance..at least the WRC still more or less has the alignment available, poor though it is!

corky I have written to congratulate him because his campaign is going to highlight the existence of the old alignments with cuttings, bridges, embankments all in place that will be seen as great greenway opportunities to link with the sligomayogreenway when that is built, (watch this space for an announcement very soon on that one) then we will begin to see a real greenway network to bring thousands of tired hungry tourists into the west and northwest, when this happens the railway enthusiastic/trainspotter lobby will go away to find a "branch line all to themselves" (Thomas the tank engine- "Thomas you have been such a good engine I am giving you a branch line all to yourself" - said the fat controller - weren't those stories written by a man of the cloth as well?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Is Rev Crookes a real person, or is this a "Dear John" exercise? I bet its really run-DWC or Ourladyofknockers

• Advertisement

oh Id say he's real...just not in touch with reality....will we send him a link to this thread?

http://www.amazon.com/Clergy-Derry-Raphoe-Canon-Crooks/dp/0901905879

http://derry.anglican.org/ourpeople/

(i made the mistake of calling him Father in my first message

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement