Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morning Sickness

• 15-10-2008 5:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hello all

I'm only 5/6 weeks pregnant at this stage but was wondering when I should expect to get morning sickness, if I do get it?

I know everyone is different, but just thought I'd ask to see what everyone else experienced??

Cheers

Glit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 newmommy

Congrats!!!
    Everyone is different but at this stage i dont think you will get any?? I am 9 weeks today and never felt a minute of sickness. I make sure i eat first thing in the morning though and little and often during the day. Loads of water also so dont get dehydrated!! Think yourself lucky with no sickness, thats what the doctor said to me!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Morning sickness is a myth,permanent nausea is more accurate;)
    A lot of people are only discovering that they are pregnant at your stage so give it a week or two but I hope you are one of the lucky ones and don't get it at all.
    Stock up on ginger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I started getting queasy at around 6-7 weeks, I think. Best thing I can suggest is never, ever let yourself get hungry. Also, I was always fine in the morning, with the exception of brushing my teeth, it's the rest of the day that caused me grief :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Never had it I think. Am 23 weeks now. Had a bit of quesiness but as soon as I ate I felt better. Cars make me a bit queasy still. Eating helps there too.
    With any luck you won't get it. Sounds awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Morning sickness is a 50/50 thing, only about half of all pregnant women will experience it.

I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 7 weeks, and recalled being a bit queasy at around 4 weeks, but put it down to working nights and I had been travelling so I was wrecked.

I feel very sick in the car, especially sat in traffic, but I always had that, it just seems worse lately.

Certain smells have me gagging.

I have 2 ginger nut biscuits when I start to feel peculiar and they seem to do the trick. I also take ginger tablets with my lunch and in the mornings.

So far no actual vomit! Must be doing something right :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Grawns wrote: »
    Never had it I think. Am 23 weeks now. Had a bit of quesiness but as soon as I ate I felt better. Cars make me a bit queasy still. Eating helps there too.
    With any luck you won't get it. Sounds awful.

Are you freaking serious!!! I had it from about 3 weeks for the full 9 months. Grawns i think i got yours-you owe me big time! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Hey OP

Congrats on the pregnancy firstly.Like people have said everyone's different but my morning sickness started at 6weeks and lasted till i was 23weeks then had it for last month. But it was called morning noon and night sickness to me :rolleyes::p lucky enough its not something that happens to everyone!

Anyway Best of luck with all:)

LolaDub wrote: »
    Are you freaking serious!!! I had it from about 3 weeks for the full 9 months. Grawns i think i got yours-you owe me big time! ;)

Sorry pet but nearly half of us don't get it!
    The whole 9 mths would be rare as it stops after the 1st trimester in most cases. Pure luck is all.

Sorry pet but nearly half of us don't get it!
    The whole 9 mths would be rare as it stops after the 1st trimester in most cases. Pure luck is all.

tis rare, called hyperemis gravardum or something like that :confused: me no likey 24/7 at no notice puking

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Congrats on your pregnancy!

For me the quesiness started at about 6 weeks, and the sickness started at about 7 weeks and lasted about 7 weeks. Eased then, I'm 17weeks now and still find I'll be sick by certain smells but generally feel ok Thank God.

Everyone will recommend GINGER! My mam made me ginger snaps from crystalized ginger she got in the health shop - cant say they really helped. But think best thing to do is try to eat often and never let yourself get hungry. Even try eating a dry cracker or biscuit often.

all the best
    eimsXX

• Advertisement

People kept telling me to eat water biscuits-i was thinking wtf! Water biscuits! And i was right to think so-they did nothing! But try all the tips out you never know what will work for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Some people dont suffer from morning sickness at all.

I unfortunately have developed late pregnancy sickness. Never had bad sickness before on the other pregnancies but paying for it noW!!

My consultant told me that the sickness is due to my body fasting, he told me to eat little and often, small snacks, a biscuit a piece of fruit, slice of brack, drink of milk, and also to try and have something light before bed time.

Just try and do whatever works for you, but dont starve yourself, try and feed the sickness.

Hopefully it will be a nice happy healthy uneventful pregnancy!!!

Best wishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Second trimester. Was over by the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Started around 6 weeks (ish), biggest problems were teeth brushing in the morning and running up and down the stairs like a lunatic rushing in the morning. Also walking at my usual fast pace and skipping breakfast. Most of the advice given here worked for me. I just had to slow down and get up a half hour earlier in the morning, eat something wholesome for brekkie and stroll to work instead of half jogging like I used to! I kept a packet of cream crackers on my desk at work and I also used the SeaBands that people use for car sickness and I found them a little uncomfortable over several hours but very effective. It went away at about 13 weeks by which time I had bought a doppler and was busy looking for a heartbeat anyway so I wouldnt have noticed sickness if it was there cos that was so exciting. I have it as a ringtone now on my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Glittergirl

Hey everyone
    Thanks a mil for all the replies and advice. Looks like everyone is different so it's not a "given" that I'll get it.

Thanks for all the advice on bikkies and ginger snaps etc. Good to know ... good to know.

Take care everyone and have a happy 9 months.

Glit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Yep its usually around the 6/7 week mark. FIngers XXX you get away with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

And it comes back:(

Moonbeam wrote: »
    And it comes back:(

Nooooooooo!!!!!! ;)

The halloween skin is giving me morning sickness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Gosh, i thought i was getting away with it til today! I am 8 weeks tomorrow and it was just mild queasiness coming and going.... today its just terrible - even the smell of shampoo on my hair makes me heave :( Starving for junk as well though... cant win!
    Hope you girls are all doing well.

(there should be "Pukey" or "Snoozey" emoticons specifically for this forum)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Came at about 6 weeks, ended at about 16 weeks. And yeah, ban the term morning sickness. Its all day sickness. But my sense of smell went wonky for the whole 9 months, certain things smelt weird, and sweet smells like air freshener or fabric softener made me gag. Since then, and to this day, the smell of Aldi air freshener makes me retch.

Eating little and often helps. Ginger didnt do much for me, but small snacks when I began to feel queasy did help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Keep your blood sugar level by eating something small every couple of hours, dont have a drink while eating, try not to eat fatty food and go and hibernate for the 9/10 months, that'll sort ya out:D

No morning sickness but dying of heartburn all of a sudden. Owies!
    Am 25 weeks. Any advice beyond milk and rennies. Am looking for wondercure and will try everything. :o

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No morning sickness but dying of heartburn all of a sudden. Owies!
    Am 25 weeks. Any advice beyond milk and rennies. Am looking for wondercure and will try everything. :o
    I dont have a cure, just wanted to say its pretty normal. I used to suck those chalky gaviscon tablets, they worked ok.

Oryx wrote: »
    I dont have a cure, just wanted to say its pretty normal. I used to suck those chalky gaviscon tablets, they worked ok.

Thanks Oryx - Will be trying them and remegel. Anything else that's safe to try ladies, gents?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Sleep on your right side, not your left side. Seriously.

Thanks Oryx - Will be trying them and remegel. Anything else that's safe to try ladies, gents?

My favourite was the aniseed flavour gaviscon liquid - chalky tablets just don't cut it, and remegel tastes too good, I'd get addicted ;)

Edit - that reminds me - First time I got heartburn with this pregnancy, I rang the VHI nurseline to ask them if remegel was ok, as it was all I had in the press and I wasn't too sure. The nurse on the other end said they couldn't advise, and recommended I took a trip to casualty(!) I said I'd just eaten a load of fajitas and would risk milk instead :)

Quackles wrote: »
    My favourite was the aniseed flavour gaviscon liquid - chalky tablets just don't cut it, and remegel tastes too good, I'd get addicted ;)

Edit - that reminds me - First time I got heartburn with this pregnancy, I rang the VHI nurseline to ask them if remegel was ok, as it was all I had in the press and I wasn't too sure. The nurse on the other end said they couldn't advise, and recommended I took a trip to casualty(!) I said I'd just eaten a load of fajitas and would risk milk instead :)

Yeah have had similiar experiences with vhi nurse. Won't be phoning them again. Overkill or what!

chrislad wrote: »
    Sleep on your right side, not your left side. Seriously.

Intersting. I sleep on both sides intermitently but it is most definitely recommended that you sleep on your left when pregnant, especially as the pregnancy progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I'm 9 weeks on Tuesday and for the last 2 weeks i feel like crap, whoever came up with the term morning sickness should be shot :p

I have it all day everyday, dry toast,crackers and ginger don't work, i'm just constantly nauseous. Even if i eat something small every 2 hours or so i just can't get rid of this crappy feeling. I'm now trying those sea bands on my wrist and i have been sick since putting them on today :(

So i need a bit of advice now, i'm in the States at the moment and i'm heading back home to Galway on Thursday and i'm really not looking forward to the flight, i know i have to keep hydrated but even drinking water makes me ill.
    I'll be grateful for any hints and tips :D

Advertisement