Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South Doc / Hospital Experience

• 02-12-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Just wondering what people think about this - not sure whether we should do anything or just leave it. A few weeks ago my husband became ill with a pain in his side, fever and vomiting. Same thing happened a month ago and when he vomited he got better so we thought it was food poisoning or something. The pain didn't go away and Saturday night we went to South doc. By this time husband couldn't walk without being doubled over and was in agony. The doctor said it was a kidney stone. He said it might be appendicitis and if the injection he was about to give didn't alleviate the pain to go to hospital. The injection worked and he prescribed painkillers, said it was a kidney stone ('if it looks like a dog and barks like a dog, it's a dog). 3 days of painkillers, no relief. GP three days later, rushed him to hospital saying he needed emergency surgery for appendicitis. While in hospital we met a horrible doctor who said my husband didn't look in enough pain to have appendicitis. Ignored for 5 hours, a surgeon eventually examined him and said he needed surgery straight away. Appendix had broken off, bowel pushed it up against his stomach. 6 days in hospital on intravenous antibiotics, massive scars. As I say, don't know if we should just leave it but I can't get over the fear of what if we didn't go to the GP. Misdiagnosis of the kidney stone was so dangerous because we expected pain. GP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

This isn't really the place to ask. If you want to sue, ask in Legal Discussion, but they'll just tell you to talk to a solicitor. If you want to report it I'm not sure where you'd ask, there's an emergency services forum but they might be a bit protective. There's little point asking in here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barbarag49

Thanks. I've never used this site before so was unsure about how to even get it up here - someone recommended it as good for getting an opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

By here I meant the Cork forum. Use the menus at the top of the page, there's hundreds of forums here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I'd guess it happens a lot. In college when my appendix ruptured, I was vomiting for 2 days straight. When the landlady called out a doctor, he said it was indigestion and gave me a tablet.. The next morning she called out another GP who poked me in the side a couple of times ("Does this hurt?" -> "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhh!") and 3 hours later I was being operated on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barbarag49

Similar thing. :) I don't know whether to be more angry at the south doc or the initial doctor in A and E who pretty much accused him of faking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Closing this off as it's not a topic for the cork forum. If it's legal, then the Soc/ Legal thread might be more appropriate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement