Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Doyle found guilty of the murder of Shane Geoghegan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Wow! Thanks for that, I was sure he was gonna get off with it based on the evidence, trial and media reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You are against murder? controversial position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Scumbags 0 - 1 Normal Society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

It's a disgrace, he should definitely spend at least 10 years behind bars for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I'd have the little waste of oxygen hanged, personally.

But at least he's locked up now. One down, hundreds to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

here's hoping Shane's family will feel like they've gotten some sort of justice/closure after being through hell over the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

lastlaugh wrote: »
    It's a disgrace, he should definitely spend at least 10 years behind bars for that.

Yeah, but that's it isn't it? You get about 10 years for murder in this country. A life sentence doesn't mean life even if the person who is convicted is believed likely to offend again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Scumbags 0 - 1 Normal Society

dont be deluded, "normal society" are well behind in this game.
    there are dozens of Barry Doyles out there,willing to carry out the evil dirty work of the drug gangs rather than "rat them out" and also save their own skins. the dogs on the streets in Limerick know who ordered this killing, and many more.
    to me the defence lawyers that spent the last 2 weeks in a phychological battle with the jury are on par with these scumbags.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yeah, but that's it isn't it? You get about 10 years for murder in this country. A life sentence doesn't mean life even if the person who is convicted is believed likely to offend again.

Depends
    Some get out early, some don't

Malcolm McArthur served close to thirty years

Noel and Marie Murray were convicted in 1975 and they will be never be released. Well not until they are about to die maybe

There were two British men convicted of attacking women in Ireland and served over thirty years, one died a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Why does every single media report on this have to say "rugby player Shane Geoghegan"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

There are plenty of prisoners in Ireland who have served 20 years plus, some who have served 35+ years for murder
    Brian Fortune
    John Shaw
    jeff Evans
    Frank McCann, to name but a few.
    It is an Urban Myth that Life sentence prisoners get out after 10 years.
    I hope this guy serves a long long time , but I'd prefer if people commenting relied on facts not urban myth when commenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Some good news for a change, may the scumbags stay in prison be an unpleasant one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Happy for the family.

Hopefully a decent stretch. Should have had another 10 years tacked on for smiling. The tramp.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    Why does every single media report on this have to say "rugby player Shane Geoghegan"?

Cause he was captain of garryowen and rugby players are usually seen as decent blokes?

You think Barry Doyle played rugby at any stage?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Don't know, maybe it's an effort to humanise the story, so that people don't forget who was killed (as opposed to other gang menebers who have been shot dead in Limerick in the past, for whom the public may have less sympathy).

Maybe it's to stress the point that Shane Geoghegan was innocent and had no involvement whatsoever in gangland activity without being politically incorrect.

Now to watch this thread descend into a "Oh, so being a rugby player automatically means you're better than every one else?" rant. Rabble rabble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Why don't you just delete that stupid comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,368 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd have the little waste of oxygen hanged, personally.

But at least he's locked up now. One down, hundreds to go.

Yes he should have got a suspended sentence
    from the nearest tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

lastlaugh wrote: »

10 years :eek::eek: are you the judge or something? A life for a life, if you cant take the cúnts then let him spend the rest of his years behind bars. Thats what you'd want if it was your child that was shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Why don't you just delete that stupid comment?
    I think it was a perfectly valid observation on how the media report and view these crimes, whilst trying not to print anything that may jeopardise the court case.

If they had come out with a line like "the victim was known to Gardai...", etc., it's their way of subtly letting the public know the crime was a result of gangland crime = victim was a scumbag = editorial on how gangs are taking over the streets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I think it was a perfectly valid observation on how the media report and view these crimes, whilst trying not to print anything that may jeopardise the court case.

If they had come out with a line like "the victim was known to Gardai...", etc., it's their way of subtly letting the public know the crime was a result of gangland crime = victim was a scumbag = editorial on how gangs are taking over the streets

OK, fair enough. Thought the tone was of the post was different. Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Wow! Thanks for that, I was sure he was gonna get off with it based on the evidence, trial and media reports.

The evidence did not get him convicted in the first trial.

This was the second trial. The first time Doyle did not get convicted of murder despite Doyle admitted that he set out that night fully armed to kill someone, and admitting that he chased Shane, shot him, and had time to listen to Shane beg for his life.

Then after he was caught Doyle went for the "it is not murder as I shot the wrong man" defence.

Five times he shot Shane Geoghegan, four of them whilst Shane was on the ground, and he also had time to listen to him beg for his life and to see that it was the wrong man, and still Doyle shot him in the head.

The disgrace is the the Geoghegan family had to sit through two trials in order to see that animal jailed for murder.

I just hope that life means life in terms of Doyle's sentence, and I would be very happy to pick up a newspaper someday and read of a story of how he had an agonising death in jail in which he had begged for his life before being killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

His brother was Paddy Dolye who was shot in Spain. Apparently the brother Paddy was a hit man who is said to have killed up to 5 people himself.

Some Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

jayteecork wrote: »
    Cause he was captain of garryowen and rugby players are usually seen as decent blokes?

That is an outrageous comment to make TBF. Bloke???WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The 26-year-old from Portland Row, Dublin, smiled as the jury returned its verdict at the Central Criminal Court after nearly six hours deliberations.
    Smiled.....christ I hope he gets split from an arse hammering

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes he should have got a suspended sentence
    from the nearest tree.

I suppose an eye for an eye comment will have all the PC and Civil Rights people rushing to boards and this thread:rolleyes:

If I was a tree I'd hate to have that hanging from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

lividduck wrote: »
    There are plenty of prisoners in Ireland who have served 20 years plus, some who have served 35+ years for murder
    Brian Fortune
    John Shaw
    jeff Evans
    Frank McCann, to name but a few.
    It is an Urban Myth that Life sentence prisoners get out after 10 years.
    I hope this guy serves a long long time , but I'd prefer if people commenting relied on facts not urban myth when commenting.

It's not an Urban Myth, plenty can now.

If those people all served 35 years then it's that long since they were convicted, when sentencing was a little tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

His brother was Paddy Dolye who was shot in Spain. Apparently the brother Paddy was a hit man who is said to have killed up to 5 people himself.

Some Family.

Most of us don't really give a s*ite if they kill each other right, infact it be doing us a favour, it's when the innocent get brought into it......

You're dead right, some family indeed, proud parents I'm sure :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Yes, "bloke." Colloquialism for a male. What in the name of God has you going spastic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Hardly 'outrageous' tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,368 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Yes, "bloke." Colloquialism for a male. What in the name of God has you going spastic?

That's not how you spell "block".

Advertisement