Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pat Kenny won't cut the grass

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ah nuts

Not to worry Joe Duffy will do it on Friday for a fiver. Hope the weather is dry for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

donalg1 wrote: »
    Most ignorant and ridiculous post I have ever read
    It would be to you, wouldn't it.
    Thank God for the ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

marketty wrote: »
    These are skilled jobs that people in the army are trained and paid to do, at a lower cost than contracting them out. Training someone in the army and paying them above minimum wage, providing medical care pension etc and then putting them to work cutting grass makes no sense when you can contract it out for a much lower cost
    But the thing is the army isn't all call all the time are they, they would have the time to do this. I could accept that guards would be to busy to make time for this kind of work but I don't think we're at war so I'm assuming there;s a few soldiers sitting around looking for something to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

gerryo777 wrote: »
    donalg1 wrote: »
    Most ignorant and ridiculous post I have ever read
    It would be to you, wouldn't it.
    Thank God for the ignore list.

Not just to me though Gerry anyone with half a brain would agree hence your disagreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bollox.
    Of course they should cut the fúcking grass themselves. What exactly do they do all day? It's not like we're at war, or going to be - what do the 8000 or so (i think) soldiers do all day, that has them so busy that a handfull of them can't spend an hour or two on a lawnmower?
    Youre not wrong there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sykk wrote: »
    You know soldiers aren't just braindead people with guns? These people have professions within the army.

Lets say you're an engineer working for a company and they turn around and ask you to cut the grass. What would your response be?

Their not all professionals, get a few cadets on maintenance detail or the like. The army should be as self sufficient as possible given they are vastly over staffed imo. Numbers in the DF need to be rationalised with an increase in naval service numbers and massive investment in the fleet - we are a ****ing island!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Barring that, i would have no problem cutting the grass if the grass needed cutting. In my job here the storeman comes in every second saturday or so and cuts the grass as needed - when he was out sick i saw the production director do it once or twice. I've never done it myself but not because it's not my job, i just haven't done it. At no stage was it ever considered to hire a gardener.
    The reason? Because, as a private company, we operate in the real world and employees are expected to do whatever work requires doing wherever feasible- not to pick up the phone and ring someone else to do it!

It's the same in the rest of the known universe. There's some parallel universe out there where mangement aren't nessisary. Progress never happens and the spirit of team work doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The logical progression of the army being unable to cut their own grass has already been experienced by the British Army in the bombing of their base at Deal, Germany ENGLAND in 1989 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deal_barracks_bombing - where the army had some of their security provided by a private company. Truly the lunatics have taken over when the sort of nonsense goes on - probably recommended by some 'fat cat' consultants hired by the MOD. :rolleyes:

I heard an apologist for the army (Mr.Power) on Newstalk this morning and when Yates questioned him about what the army actually do, wheeled out all the usual crap about Guarding Prison (s), Cash in Transit duties, Bomb squad etc. but of course wasn't asked what percentage of the army are trained for/involved in this sort of work. I should imagine the number involved in the bomb squad would be absolutely minisicule. As I posted in another thread Ireland needs to rethink whether it needs an army at all or would it be better to beef up the gardai instead to deal with our out of control crime problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Its a bit ironic as Kenny tried to steal a load of grass of a old man years ago.

~Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

There is some amount of ****e being posted in this thread.
    • The DF doesn't have a union.
    • The DF's vehicle maintenance is carried out by qualified members of the DF.
    • To try and pin the blame on the cost of the security of the Queen's visit on the DF is utterly laughable.
    • There's not over 8,000 troops sitting around all day doing nothing. Personally, I've been away from home for the past 2 weeks, I'm working in my normal place of employment this week, then gone again for 3 weeks. Obviously, I can't complain because it's what I signed up for but I certainly don't sit around all day doing **** all.
    • We cook our own food, service our own vehicles, maintain our own equipment, do our own medical work, carry out our own building work unless it's on a major scale, look after our own bin collection, recycling etc. this concept that the DF sends out tenders for everything is bollocks.

This thing of having civilians cutting the grass in DF locations didn't come from some Private turning around and saying "That's not my job, I'm not doing that" because trust me, once you've cleaned toilets, swept paths, shovelled snow off footpaths etc. being told to cut the grass really isn't a big deal. I've seen soldiers cutting grass plenty of times before.

It came from a decision made most likely, by big dogs in the DoD and DF. If I was to walk into work tomorrow and told to cut the grass, I'd do it. It's a bit of grass.

Anyway, back to the ranting and the raving you all go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Poccington I'd thank that twice if I could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

The minister for procurement was on Pat Kennys show talking about contractors cutting the grass for the Irish army.

Pat posed the question. ''Why wouldn't the soldiers cut the grass themselves''. His guest replied ''would you cut the grass here at RTE?''

Of course he said no, that he had other things to do.

So AH should RTE or PS workers be asked to cut grass, paint walls or clean up in their own offices?
    Do we have to contract every little job out to the private sector?

What do you think?

If it's part of their job, then yes.

If it's not part of their job, then no.

It doesn't matter whether it's public or private sector. If you're in the private sector working as a software engineer, you do that work. If you're in the public sector working as a teacher you teach.

If Pat Kenny chooses to focus his attention on such non issues, then he's a right knobhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

boobar wrote: »

If Pat Kenny chooses to focus his attention on such non issues, then he's a right knobhead.

:pac:

Must be in his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,483 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was Pat not cutting his neighbour's grass for awhile up on the hill ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Feeona wrote: »
    :pac:

Must be in his contract.

Very good :) it's in the job description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

The logical progression of the army being unable to cut their own grass has already been experienced by the British Army in the bombing of their base at Deal, Germany in 1989 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deal_barracks_bombing - where the army had some of their security provided by a private company. Truly the lunatics have taken over when the sort of nonsense goes on - probably recommended by some 'fat cat' consultants hired by the MOD. :rolleyes:

I heard an apologist for the army (Mr.Power) on Newstalk this morning and when Yates questioned him about what the army actually do, wheeled out all the usual crap about Guarding Prison (s), Cash in Transit duties, Bomb squad etc. but of course wasn't asked what percentage of the army are trained for/involved in this sort of work. I should imagine the number involved in the bomb squad would be absolutely minisicule. As I posted in another thread Ireland needs to rethink whether it needs an army at all or would it be better to beef up the gardai instead to deal with our out of control crime problem.
    Idiot.
    Check exactly where deal is,Kent is a long way from Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Poccington wrote: »
    There is some amount of ****e being posted in this thread.
    • The DF doesn't have a union.
    • The DF's vehicle maintenance is carried out by qualified members of the DF.
    • To try and pin the blame on the cost of the security of the Queen's visit on the DF is utterly laughable.
    • There's not over 8,000 troops sitting around all day doing nothing. Personally, I've been away from home for the past 2 weeks, I'm working in my normal place of employment this week, then gone again for 3 weeks. Obviously, I can't complain because it's what I signed up for but I certainly don't sit around all day doing **** all.
    • We cook our own food, service our own vehicles, maintain our own equipment, do our own medical work, carry out our own building work unless it's on a major scale, look after our own bin collection, recycling etc. this concept that the DF sends out tenders for everything is bollocks.

So the army cook their own food, but who serves it? In my local barracks outside staff are employed to serve the food in the mess.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

These days, who peels the spuds in the army ?

lividduck wrote: »
    Idiot.
    Check exactly where deal is,Kent is a long way from Germany!

Thanks for your incisive comment - I was thinking of an IRA attack in Germany http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/23/newsid_4287000/4287075.stm while typing the post hence the gremlin and I'm well aware of Deal's location as I was born less than 40 miles away. :p

PS No need to resort to name calling either - how about addressing the issue instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    So the army cook their own food, but who serves it? In my local barracks outside staff are employed to serve the food in the mess.

What barracks is your local one?

I've yet to be in a barracks where food is "served" by anyone other than the chefs in the cookhouse. You walk up with your tray to the food area, chef gives you your food options, you tell him which you want and then you get handed a plate of food.

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

What do you think will happen if a soldier refuses to cut the grass?
    Its not like a civvy job where you get a verbal warning. The soldier faces being locked up without pay. At the very least he'd be fined and the charge noted on his record and that would have consequences on his career.In the army I cut grass, cleaned jacks, painted, laboured on building sites, drove bin lorries and collected refuse,drove fire engines and ambulances, painted vehicles, built (badly :)) turf sheds, dug irrigation ditches, dug wells, glazed, plumbed, scrubbed tons of pots and pans, looked after homeless people, provided public transport, distributed petrol & other fuels, located & dug livestock out of snow, helped during flooding etc etc. There was no "knocking off time" no overtime - you just kept going until the job was done and there was no distinction between weekends and the "working week". Ah, **** all you begrudgers and ranters have me missing it now :)

As Poccington and I have both said in our different ways, the decision about grass cutting outsourcing etc. was probably made at some very high level - in the Dept.of Defence etc - and I certainly don't wish to cast any aspersions on the average soldier in the Irish Army. That said, a rethink on what the objectives should be for the army, and the country's real needs i.e. the sorting out of our chronic crime problems, dissidents etc. rather than being prepared to meet some unlikely threat from a foreign power.

hondasam wrote: »
    Why would I want to cut the grass where I work it's not what I'm paid to do.
    People on the dole on the other hand are paid to sit at home scratching let them do it.

Good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

hondasam wrote: »
    Why would I want to cut the grass where I work it's not what I'm paid to do.
    People on the dole on the other hand are paid to sit at home scratching let them do it.

Good idea.

It is a good idea if not a little flawed in its suggestion. Not everyone on the dole is at home scratching themselves many are there due to unfortunate circumstances over the last few years but those that are long term unemployed should be made do some work like cutting grass or cleaning the streets to earn their dole give them a sense of independence and helP their self confidence.

No easy way to say it but anyone unemployed for five to ten years gas no excuse and should be made do something to prove they are willing to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd gladly cut the grass for them, need the cash

Although Pat Kenny needs to start earning his money tbf...

Advertisement