Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Option 2. Under a picture of one of the numerous 'Don't Be Silenced - Vote No' posters, she will without irony state how she and her compadres are being silenced :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My money is on her relating the egg throwing incident to the constant attacks by Ash and Pikachu against Team Rocket. The masses supporting Pikachu without realising the hurt that he causes.

At no point will she admit that it was some random scumbag who would have thrown an egg at anyone standing around and in no way represents the yes campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Option 2. Under a picture of one of the numerous 'Don't Be Silenced - Vote No' posters, she will without irony state how she and her compadres are being silenced :rolleyes:

It's hilarious. She has literally talked herself hoarse.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Like the chap on one of the threads in the Elections forum who spent his first four or five posts - and several more later in the thread - complaining that he wasn't allowed to discuss the topic.

After considerable probing, it finally emerged that "not being allowed to discuss it" translated to "people kept disagreeing with him".

Some people don't quite get how discussion works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

My guess is she'll go for the "educators against equality" line of reasoning, "feeling uncomfortable about homosexuality is normal and you, as a normal person, shouldn't be made uncomfortable by other people's existence, therefore they should cease to exist, or at least have the decency to be ashamed of themselves and hide out of sight".

• Advertisement

..."feeling uncomfortable about black people is normal and you, as a normal person, shouldn't be made uncomfortable by other people's existence, therefore they should cease to exist, or at least have the decency to be ashamed of themselves and hide out of sight".

It's amazing how instructive that simple substitution can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

lazygal wrote: »
    since I was attacked, without basis or evidence, by a drag queen on a TV talk show.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

5uspect wrote: »
    lol

Especially since it wasn't Panti that attacked him, but his shítdependant stablemate Brenny O'Connor, in one of his periodically pathetic attempts to make himself look relevant.

It was Brenny who used the word "homophobic" in an attempt to smear the Ionanistas, it was Brenny who tried to stir the ****. Panti simply said that some people were using not very nice words in the debate, but that didn't make them homophobes, necessarily.

I think it was because Brenny was doing the word throwing that RTÉ caved actually. One of their employees making the accusation is hard to wriggle out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,911 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's written in English but I can't figure out how one thought leads to the next.

We're having a 'mental civil war which will have ramifications of their type just as serious as the Civil War of 93 years ago'. Sure during the worst days of the civil war of 93 years ago some people were tearing down each other posters but nobody ever picked up arms and threw an egg at an opponent. That actually happened to John Waters, ladies and gentlemen. He's practically a war hero.

If this can be described as a mental civil war, then anything can be called civil war. I think he means the country is having a 'disagreement'. Not a war John. A very civilized disagreement.

Mental civil war! I had a 'Verbal civil war' with my missus last night about whether to have pasta or rice which will have ramifications of their type just as serious as the Civil War of 93 years ago.

• Advertisement

Ultimately, I wanted to make sure that, if there is a Yes vote on Friday, a record of my dissent will be left behind.
    Don't worry, John - long after the dust settles and everyone's looking back in embarrassment to the days when LGBT people were treated as disordered, lesser citizens, your vehement objection to their being treated as equals will be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I'm sorry to those of you who chose not to read the article, but ...... just.....WTF? So much fail, I don't even know where to start.
    to blow the whistle and draw the public's attention to the potentially lethal implications of the amendment.
    Not one "potentially lethal" implication outlined. John, you outrageous guttersnipe for publishing that without qualification.
    But the consequences will come, and sooner rather than later, devastating families and individual citizens in thousands of tragedies played out in the courts, in proceedings in which neither nature nor biology will any longer feature as a criterion of parenthood.
    Any family break-up is a difficult time, and any that reach court are probably a tragedy. Nature and biology frequently have a lot to answer for but it is extremely telling and disingenuous that, you John, here leave out "nurture".
    Same-sex marriage is so radical an idea that it would make for a difficult sell even if the model on offer were free from detrimental consequences
    Sorry, whut now? Whut detrimental consequences would those be, as you failed to fcuking mention any John, you utter stain.
    the results can only be catastrophic
    Again.....please describe the class of catastrophe you allude to. And then throw away your old testament, as you are clearly thinking in biblical terms.
    this grotesque attack on human freedoms was being mounted, my name will at least be listed among the whistle-blowers.
    You've SO gone too far to ever come back from this point John. We certainly will never forget what your whistle-blowing sounds like.

Sincerely,

"A parent who would indeed have called the school to object to your delivering a speech, if it had have been my children's school". I like to protect them from bigotry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

John still carries the mental scars from that episode; it was like being savaged by a dead sheep. Also, and more importantly for him, he still has some of the compo money.

I wonder what sort of school principal would think JW was a good inspiration for a school magazine? No wonder they didn't want to be identified :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It's written in English but I can't figure out how one thought leads to the next.

We're having a 'mental civil war which will have ramifications of their type just as serious as the Civil War of 93 years ago'. Sure during the worst days of the civil war of 93 years ago some people were tearing down each other posters but nobody ever picked up arms and threw an egg at an opponent. That actually happened to John Waters, ladies and gentlemen. He's practically a war hero.

If this can be described as a mental civil war, then anything can be called civil war. I think he means the country is having a 'disagreement'. Not a war John. A very civilized disagreement.

Mental civil war! I had a 'Verbal civil war' with my missus last night about whether to have pasta or rice which will have ramifications of their type just as serious as the Civil War of 93 years ago.

Waters often writes stuff that makes no sense whatsoever in rags like the Sunday Independent. Incoherent, religious based bigotry fused with accounts of his personal day seems to be what he does. A bit like Eoghan Harris with religion!

In general, our papers are getting worse and worse. The standard is poor, the content obnoxious and the innovation lacking. It is basically this person's and that person's opinion on X, Y and Z.

Waters and Harris along with Ian O'Doherty, Ruth Dudley Edwards, etc. are the best journalism can offer it seems? That is a poor lookout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Said I'd take a read for a laugh. Here is some of this genius' words:
    This is Ireland 2015 - an Ireland where reason is alien, where the truth fears to speak its name in the face of hatred, demonisation and lies, and our supposedly free press not merely averts its gaze but runs, when it can, with the mob, offering a sullen tokenism in lieu of its responsibility to provide a free and fair forum for public debate.

Sounds like the description of an Irish Mad Max film!!!! Wish it was, but it instead part of another agenda driven article about the referendum. He then goes into a series of sentences trying to justify himself, make him look moderate and then even says there are 100000 more important issues than gay marriage. Self contradiction throughout the article of course .. but this IS John Waters afterall!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

recedite wrote: »
    John still carries the mental scars from that episode; it was like being savaged by a dead sheep. Also, and more importantly for him, he still has some of the compo money.

I wonder what sort of school principal would think JW was a good inspiration for a school magazine? No wonder they didn't want to be identified :pac:

People complaining about the Holy Martyr JW launching any literary venture should first point to his writing, before his views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Shrap wrote: »
    I'm sorry to those of you who chose not to read the article, but ...... just.....WTF? So much fail, I don't even know where to start.

Not one "potentially lethal" implication outlined. John, you outrageous guttersnipe for publishing that without qualification.

Any family break-up is a difficult time, and any that reach court are probably a tragedy. Nature and biology frequently have a lot to answer for but it is extremely telling and disingenuous that, you John, here leave out "nurture".
    Sorry, whut now? Whut detrimental consequences would those be, as you failed to fcuking mention any John, you utter stain.

Again.....please describe the class of catastrophe you allude to. And then throw away your old testament, as you are clearly thinking in biblical terms.

You've SO gone too far to ever come back from this point John. We certainly will never forget what your whistle-blowing sounds like.

Sincerely,

"A parent who would indeed have called the school to object to your delivering a speech, if it had have been my children's school". I like to protect them from bigotry.

My favourite bit was "Orwellian revisionism". Gems like this make me wonder if he is serious or if has being ripping the piss all these years.

mohawk wrote: »
    My favourite bit was "Orwellian revisionism". Gems like this make me wonder if he is serious or if has being ripping the piss all these years.

No, no...that class of trolling would be Machiavellian in it's craftiness, whereas John appears to have forgotten that Panti owned the term Orwellian when she described it as a "neat Orwellian trick" that Homophobes are now considering themselves the victims of Homophobia by virtue of the word being said about them. Both used the word "Orwellian" correctly, but only one of them was right.

I see what you're saying tho. It's a fair old rewriting of history and prediction of the future he's doing there. Hard to believe he's for real :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

recedite wrote: »
    I wonder what sort of school principal would think JW was a good inspiration for a school magazine?
    Principal: "And that, dear students, is what you will write like if you don't study your English."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ultimately, I wanted to make sure that, if there is a Yes vote on Friday, a record of my dissent will be left behind.

Christ, go off and start your own Hollywood franchise - The Thesaurus Games, Fast and Furious Waffle 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smiley92a

That was one of the most hysterical things I've ever read. By which I mean actual hysteria went into it. I can see him now, hammering his keyboard and screaming "WHY WON'T ANYONE LISTEN TO ME?" More prophecies of doom than some of those defences of lynching written by people who thought every black man was a rapist waiting to spring. He's right about it being preserved for posterity, though. Seriously demented stuff.

He also still can't write for ****. I zoned out a few times reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

All reading - all commenting - all angry.

John's job done for another week.

That's what he's paid for I s'pose!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

We're not angry, just disappointed. :P

We're not angry, just disappointed. :P

I was angry. More fool me :o Yes, he did his job well, and I fell for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Talking crap, out both sides of his gob in this instance...."I'm not homophobic but..."

"Because the word natural as it stands as interpreted time and time again in court hearings has to do with the biological complementarity of a man and a woman who together in their sexual union beget a child and begin the process of creating a family.
    And that word natural will go, it will still be there on Sunday if we get a yes but it will no longer have the meaning it has now.
    I was on TV recently and I made this point and the interviewer said ‘Hang on it could be said that what you’re saying is gay sexuality is unnatural’ and I said ‘I’m not saying that I’m saying something completely different’ but that’s an interesting point.
    That’s possibly what this will mean. it’s one of the things it could mean, That the sexuality of a gay couple is just as natural as the sexuality of a heterosexual couple. The meaning will slip to that."

(Broadsheets bold, where present)
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/05/20/losing-our-natural-sexuality/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

robindch wrote: »
    Anybody know if they have clampers in Kampala?

No. Five minutes over and it's straight to crucifixion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »

I'm sure we could sell the idea to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

John might have to modify his prosaic writing style, if he wants to be understood.
    Repeat this phrase after me, John; "Eat da poo poo, eat da poo poo".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Advertisement