Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview segment on Ear To The Ground.

• 29-02-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

Ear To The Ground did a segment on Saorview,for the most part it was informative and explained the topic in clear laymans terms.

BUT!! It also demonstrated the severe lack of knowledge among the public about what saorview is.They visited Dungarvan and did a quick vox pop,only 2 women knew about saorview as they had it up & running at home.

It was also very strange that the installer put up an aerial despite the customer already having 3 suitable ones on his chimney,plus he didn't run a cable from the new aerial yet was able to connect one to the saorview box and get a signal.

The most serious issue was the statement from Brian Geraghty about door to door sales.It seems they have backtracked on their no door to door sales policy as he said "Neither saorview or RTE will send anyone door to door,however there are very very good installers out there who are calling around offering an install service". None of the reputable guys seem to be doing this judging by the posts in this forum.
    What about all the not so good installers out there who are calling around or dropping flyers?

Here's the video from RTEPlayer,the segment starts around the 17 minute mark or so.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1138170

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

That installer obviously didn't do any health & safety training either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

homelink wrote: »

He also forgot to cable to the antenna :eek:

I noticed the Triax 537 combo beside the Saorview logo in Irwins store

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Talk about double standards, Saorview say that they advise that the public use an Installer from 1 of the 3 Trade Bodies yet on this programme shown to the public they use a unregistered/unrecognised installer who is advertising Saorview on his Website.
    What a complete Balls up RTE.

saorview wants to work with the local installer

Yeah Right

it's 11 months later saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

zerks wrote: »

The most serious issue was the statement from Brian Geraghty about door to door sales.It seems they have backtracked on their no door to door sales policy as he said "Neither saorview or RTE will send anyone door to door,however there are very very good installers out there who are calling around offering an install service". None of the reputable guys seem to be doing this judging by the posts in this forum.

Door to Door should be banned.
    • It makes crime easier (Distraction Theft)
    • It exploits the Door to Door salespeople. They do it a short while and give up as you have to lie to make the sales to get adequate commission. Huge turn-over in "staff". The sales per person on average simply isn't there to pay a sensible salary, so they always offer attractive sounding commission.
    • It exploits the vulnerable. Less vulnerable people will rarely ever buy off a Door to Door person.
    • It Mis-sells. The people are untrained except in sales techniques and many will do anything to get a sale.

I've tried it when I was younger and naive, both for others and myself. It's un-ethical.

We have enough advertising via billboards, leaflet shots, direct mail, Radio, Newspapers, TV.

Direct phone selling should be illegal too.

Door to Door is "Human delivered" Spam. It's worse than spam. Which is actually illegal to your Fax or eMail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

The installer on that did a rotten job with that ariel too, completely messed up the appearance of the side of the guy's house. Puzzled me why he chose to do it that way when there were already ariels on the roof. Even if these ariels weren't suitable for Saorview, the location was far more appropriate.

It was such a nice house and to have your man sticking that giant pole out of the side of it just seemed wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Kurz wrote: »
    It was such a nice house and to have your man sticking that giant pole out of the side of it just seemed wrong.
    True, but perhaps that's what the householder wanted. Who knows.

To be honest, it looked like the job was staged for tv purposes as he packed up and left without running a cable as said above. It served its purpose in showing someone who knows nothing what might be involved and what to expect.
    He probably used the existing aerial setup in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

homelink wrote: »

I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Saorview can spout on about the aerial installation business being unregulated but we are regulated by the health and safety laws. The installer broke all the working at heights regulations, no harness is one thing but he had no PPE whatsoever, How can RTE put that on? That was a terrible impression to give about our business, it made it seem as if everyboby is the same :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

scaller wrote: »
    Talk about double standards, Saorview say that they advise that the public use an Installer from 1 of the 3 Trade Bodies
    No, they don't as far as I'm aware. Can you show me where they say that?
    yet on this programme shown to the public they use a unregistered/unrecognised installer who is advertising Saorview on his Website.
    I agree. It seems he should not be using the logo on his site.
    Maybe he has a link to the authorised retailer that is not obvious?
    But that's just speculation.

In any case, the job went through a registered agent, and it's not RTE's job to ensure that business uses installers from the one of the 3 trade bodies.

cast_iron wrote: »
    No, they don't as far as I'm aware. Can you show me where they say that?

I agree. It seems he should not be using the logo on his site.
    Maybe he has a link to the authorised retailer that is not obvious?
    But that's just speculation.

In any case, the job went through a registered agent, and it's not RTE's job to ensure that business uses installers from the one of the 3 trade bodies.

It is RTE's business to police their logos, installers are not allowed use any Saorview logo on their website.

I had a look at the website name on the side of the installers van and surprise surprise
    http://damienwalsh.com/Damien_Walsh_Installations/%22SAORVIEW%22_From_RTE.html

Extinction wrote: »
    It is RTE's business to police their logos, installers are not allowed use any Saorview logo on their website.
    If you read back, I think I said I above I agree that he probably should not be using the logo.

However, authorised retailers can use the logo. Perhaps there is a link between the retailer and installer that qualifies him. Or perhaps not. In fact, it's unlikely there is enough of a link to warrant it, but we may not have the full facts of the case.

• Advertisement

If you read back, I think I said I above I agree that he probably should not be using the logo.

However, authorised retailers can use the logo. Perhaps there is a link between the retailer and installer that qualifies him. Or perhaps not. In fact, it's unlikely there is enough of a link to warrant it, but we may not have the full facts of the case.

Wasn't having a go at you, installers are in no way permitted to use the Saoview logo as in the link to this installers website, it doesn't matter what relationship they have with any retailer, they simply cant do it according to Saorview yet they feature an installer who is breaching this, it beggars belief, sure I might as well book A Saorview wrap for my van, anyone know a good sign writer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

installers are in no way permitted to use the Saoview logo as in the link to this installers website, it doesn't matter what relationship they have with any retailer, they simply cant do it according to Saorview
    Where do they say this? I keep asking for proof of these claims but no one is coming up with it.

A representative of saorview said here on this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77315139&postcount=412

If you seek the assistance of an aerial/dish installer, SAORVIEW recommends you use an installer who is a member of one of the following bodies. The CAI, ISAA, or the National Guild of Maser Craftsmen.

not in this Video

Where do they say this? I keep asking for proof of these claims but no one is coming up with it.

It says so at the bottom of this page

http://www.saorview.ie/trade-login/installers/

The logo is only permitted for use by registered retailers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That feature could be more condescending if they tried hard enough!

It says so at the bottom of this page

http://www.saorview.ie/trade-login/installers/

The logo is only permitted for use by registered retailers

The logo is also only permitted to be used by retailers at the point of sale, newspaper ads, flyers and NON ecommerce sites are advertising, they aren't point of sale.

scaller wrote: »
    A representative of saorview said here on this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77315139&postcount=412
    Well that's 2 days ago and the first I've seen in what seems to be a change of policy. Their website still states otherwise.

The logo is also only permitted to be used by retailers at the point of sale, newspaper ads, flyers and NON ecommerce sites are advertising, they aren't point of sale.
    Agreed. It does indeed seem that the installer on the tv is misusing the logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 limerick.

Perhaps they should have got a more qualified installer, i know lot's of installers in waterford
    who are far more competant and would his insurance even cover him if he is not complying with the health and safety rules if he even has any. I dont think id let him near my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

With regard to the existing aerials on the roof,could they not have used that to explain to people that they might not need a new aerial,the guy in Irwins mentioned it so why didn't they clarify what they were doing and give examples of using existing equipment and show what might be needed by explaining that's what the new aerial install was.Now anyone who watched that would be led to believe that they need to fork out for stuff they may not need while they may already have perfectly good usable aerials up already.

The cowboys love this lack of knowledge and muddying of the waters, "sorry ma'm that aerial you have isn't a digital aerial,we'll put up a nice new one & it'll improve the picture no end.You want a receipt?? Sorry I left the receipt book in the office,sure I'll drop it out to you..ye right

With regard to the existing aerials on the roof,could they not have used that to explain to people that they might not need a new aerial,the guy in Irwins mentioned it so why didn't they clarify what they were doing and give examples of using existing equipment and show what might be needed by explaining that's what the new aerial install was.
    In fairness, the guy in Irwin's made the point (though many people may have a different type of UHF aerial to the one he showed).
    that point was made. The point was made simply too - ie. if you have a UHF aerial, then you didn't need a new aerial.

It wasn't supposed to be an education lesson on aerials and rogue installers. The putting up of an aerial also did a good job in simply relaying what an installer should be putting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think the message they should be getting across is, borrow a box, plug it in and see if it works, if not ring an approved installer.

The whole big aerial, small aerial, look at the coverage map, is too much for joe soap. If you get TV through your aerial, try the box and it'll probably work fine.

If your TV is over 10 years old then it's probably better value to buy a new TV.

Visually it's fine to see a guy putting up an aerial, but they should be teaching people how to try a box, before calling in the man with a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zg3409 wrote: »
    I think the message they should be getting across is, borrow a box, plug it in and see if it works, if not ring an approved installer.

The whole big aerial, small aerial, look at the coverage map, is too much for joe soap. If you get TV through your aerial, try the box and it'll probably work fine.

If your TV is over 10 years old then it's probably better value to buy a new TV.

Visually it's fine to see a guy putting up an aerial, but they should be teaching people how to try a box, before calling in the man with a van.

True,I got castigated for suggesting that before to a poster who had a query about saorview.Try it & see as you said,if you get no joy call an expert.

The try it & see message has been posted by many in the satellite forum,what make saorview so special? It's as if it's the second coming-it's only bloody Irish tv,which for the most part is rubbish no matter how good the picture is.I have saorview up & running on my tv but only ever use it for HD sport on RTE 2...Rant over.

For all the answers the segment on the show gave,it created many more questions.Some decent,well thought out infomercials would be better,look at the ones on UK tv,it makes the whole thing look like childs play.Over here we get 2 animals telling us saorview is on the way and to refer to the website which many won't or can't do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

For all the answers the segment on the show gave,it created many more questions.Some decent,well thought out infomercials would be better,look at the ones on UK tv,it makes the whole thing look like childs play.Over here we get 2 animals telling us saorview is on the way and to refer to the website which many won't or can't do.

One of the Saorview animals does not even know how to operate a pair of binoculars, so they have no chance. They have tried to get a brand-name accross and the message that 'Saorview Approved' is the only way to go.

A simple message broadcast from the transmitters embedded in the signal 'This transmitter is turning off on 24th Oct, 2012. You will /I][S]not[/S][I get Saorview from this transmitter.] Variations on that theme, as appropriate, would work quickly and effectively.

They even run the Saorview ad on RTE News Now - preaching to the converted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 damo42

limerick. wrote: »
    Perhaps they should have got a more qualified installer, i know lot's of installers in waterford
    who are far more competant and would his insurance even cover him if he is not complying with the health and safety rules if he even has any. I dont think id let him near my house.

Note: from the Installer on Ear to the ground

I am a qualified fitter by trade, have a Fetac Advanced Certificate with merit,
    Served my time with a large multi-national company and have craftspersons status and am more than qualified to install aerials.

This is a qualification that has been achieved by time served and not by money spent !

And yes i do have insurance !

Have in fact a combined liability policy,
    Public Liability
    Product Liability
    Employers Liability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 damo42

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    He also forgot to cable to the antenna :eek:

I noticed the Triax 537 combo beside the Saorview logo in Irwins store

Quote From the installer on Ear To The Ground

I didn't forget the cable! this piece was shot to show people that it wasn't a big deal to have an aerial mounted on their house.

it was used as a demonstration ! and not as an installers training Video !

The aerial and bracket were removed from the house, as were the 3 existing aerials!! and the house holder was left with a new aerial on a loft bracket in his attic! and saorview working on his 4 tv's without the need to run any cables around his house ! The house holder agreed to let me put an aerial and bracket on the wall of his house,for the demonstration as requested by the film crew.

damo42 wrote: »

Served my time with a large multi-national company and have craftspersons status and am more than qualified to install aerials.

This is a qualification that has been achieved by time served and not by money spent !

And yes i do have insurance !

Have in fact a combined liability policy,
    Public Liability
    Product Liability
    Employers Liability

Why didn't you use the relevant health and safety equipment required for working at heights?

What id like to know is why you have the saorview logo on your website and the saorview name on your van. when RTE/saorview says that installers are not permitted to do this.
    Do you know If you were a registered/recognised installer with any of the 3 trade bodies you would have permission to use a combined logo.

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/installers/

I will have to Edit my post now to say What id like to know is why DID you have the saorview logo on your website up till 11pm tonight and now its been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

damo42 wrote: »

in what ?

Advertisement