Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

John Gilligan gets 6 more months

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Hes wasnt caught coming through the airport with 1/8th in his bag.

True put there have been cases of people being caught with 10-15 millions worth of heroin and only getting 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The 20 year sentence was from 1996 not 2001.His original sentence was extremely harsh as well 28 years from importing hash:eek:

But we all know that he was really sentenced for organising the murder of veronica guerin and not the Importation of hash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

The 20 year sentence was from 1996 not 2001.His original sentence was extremely harsh as well 28 years from importing hash:eek:

No his sentence began in march 2001

No his sentence began in march 2001

He was in custody in england from 96,That would be taken into account when reviewing his parole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

realies wrote: »
    He was in custody in england from 96,That would be taken into account when reviewing his parole.

Maybe so but wasn't he supposed to serve an additional 5 years too for threatening to kill two prison officers, what happened that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Liamario wrote: »
    Convicted of having a mobile phone in prison. Don't doubt for a second that the prison wardens were well aware he had a phone and had seen him use it as well.
    And they did nothing.

Did you read the report or just the first line??
    He picked the phone up in court and was subsequently searched and the phone recovered.

Have a read of this article - 15,000 Contraband Items seized in the past 2 years, but don't let that stand in the way of your cheap snide remarks..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/figures-show-thousands-of-contraband-items-seized-in-irish-prisons-540169.html

Maybe so but wasn't he supposed to serve an additional 5 years too for threatening to kill two prison officers, what happened that

I am guessing here but I suspect that it was a concurrent sentence which meant it was ran into his already serving sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Two years I think???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

WTF, when was he actually convicted? shouldn't it be 22 years and 6 months from that day? (minus time spent in custody before trial)

Unfortunately the Justice System in this country frowns upon Judges who issue consecutive sentences. 99.9% of sentencing, as such, runs concurrently with whatever else they're serving.

It's a great 'incentive' for the criminal to commit a lot of crime while waiting for their big trial - knowing all penalties will be served together.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I am guessing here but I suspect that it was a concurrent sentence which meant it was ran into his already serving sentence.

Concurrent sentences are stupid and pointless. If your going down theres no reason ot to commit a few more crimes first seeing as you'll be serving them all at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Seems like theres no incentive in behaving yourself in prison as in that any sentence you get for bad behavior will be served concurrently with your existing sentence. Its bizarre that he'll be getting out early given his threats to kill prison officers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Depends on the terms of his realease, he may well still be subject to a period of probation.
    No, once he is released he is free and clear, personally I think he should have got life, that way if he ever was released it would be on licience and conditional. He is one evil bast*rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0315/gilligan.html

So out of a 28 year sentence he serves 11 years and gets another 6 months for being naughty.
    What is the point in these sentences when they are never carried out.
    They are usually handed a sentense and will get anything up to 30% off if they are good. Gives them a more incentive not to act the maggot inside.

11/28 = 39% SERVED

That's 61% OFF, which is an absolute disgrace and would be a joke if it weren't letting thugs and low-likes back into out society.

lividduck wrote: »
    No, once he is released he is free and clear, personally I think he should have got life, that way if he ever was released it would be on licence and conditional. He is one evil bast*rd

Has has been said earlies in this thread he was convicted of importing cannabis, A drug many many people would like to see legalised,why should he have gotten life ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

He won't hang around Dublin long after release. The papers will be all over him. He will go to Spain i'd guess.

Has has been said earlies in this thread he was convicted of importing cannabis, A drug many many people would like to see legalised,why should he have gotten life ?

For the murder of a woman?

For the murder of a woman?

He was found not guilty of murder or any anything else to do with the horrible murder of veronica gerren by the courts of this land, He was found guilty on Importing cannabis and initially got 28 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

My mate says he's a bit of a joke in the prisons now, youngfellas shouting abuse at him ect..

He was found not guilty of murder or any anything else to do with the horrible murder of veronica gerren by the courts of this land, He was found guilty on Importing cannabis and initially got 28 years.
    Obviously I know that, but everyone knows he was behind her murder, do you doubt it?

Obviously I know that, but everyone knows he was behind her murder, do you doubt it?

Its not up to anybody or everybody or what I think,Its up to the law of the land and the courts, Gilligan was tried and acquitted of the murder .You cant or imo should not have people in court on one charge and for that person to get sentenced on another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Its not up to anybody or everybody or what I think,Its up to the law of the land and the courts, Gilligan was tried and acquitted of the murder .You cant or imo should not have people in court on one charge and for that person to get sentenced on another.
    The law of the land sucks. He was behind Veronica Guerin's callous murder leaving a little boy without a mother so I wish him nothing but the worse in life. I know he didn't pull the trigger but he might as well have. Sentences are too lenient in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Crazy sentence, If that's all they could get him for after all of the investigations it says a lot.
    True put there have been cases of people being caught with 10-15 millions worth of heroin and only getting 10 years

Exactly, Its pathetic, Heroin dealers should get larger sentences.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    11/28 = 39% SERVED

That's 61% OFF, which is an absolute disgrace and would be a joke if it weren't letting thugs and low-likes back into out society.

Liam, He is actually serving twenty years not twenty eight, And his sentences start from the time he was in custody in Ireland, Remember the photo's of him coming off the plane dressed like a clown, I think it was a GB prison uniform.

True, I think it should be legal too.
    RichieC wrote: »
    My mate says he's a bit of a joke in the prisons now, youngfellas shouting abuse at him ect..

Yes, They mock the **** out of him, A lot of people don't like him, They blame him for the crackdown after VG's death.

Yes, There was a lot more to do with that case then the simple theory that JG ordered her death and Brian Meehan drove the bike and Dutchy Holland shot her, A lot of criminals fled and others ratted their way out of it so I reckon it was a much larger operation than just those three. I'd almost wager that DH didn't even shoot her, I reckon one of the informers actually done it and I'd say another well known criminal that VG knew was heavily involved.

Advertisement