Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does moving in with your partner mean to you ??

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

doovdela wrote: »
    That was awful that the grandmother cut her granddaughter out of her will like that. Just cause she is a devoted catholic doesn't mean her granddaughter had to be. Makes no sense just cause she lived with her boyfriend before getting married. She got married didn't she, shouldn't that have pleased the grandmother enough she wasn't living in sin according to her any more but fair enough her strong religious beliefs got the better of her.

It was a silly thing to do really if it came down to that fair enough if she didn't want to give parts of her will to her youngest daughter's children.

My grandparents wouldn't have treated each of their grandchildren differently.
    I'd be shocked if my mother ever did that to her grandchildren. I'd never forgive her. Every grand-child has a right to be treated the same what ever an outcome of the will is it's the grandmother's choice.

For my grandmother and my mam its more to do with people going or not going to mass.

The grandmother didn't cut her out of her will - the aunts and uncles did. My reading of this is that they were greedy, didn't want to split the money with the daughter and bluffed the story about grandmother not approving which the judge bought.

However its does say the granddaughter got some separate inheritance - so seems there is more to the story than the paper is reporting. Perhaps it is a fair deal in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

biko wrote: »
    To see if you love the person enough to be able to have them around all the time.

A Biggins re-jig on that would be:

"To see enough of the person you love, and to have them around all the time"

Speaking of which, where is the chap this evening? Chloroforming the kids so he can woo Madmammy no doubt! November, watch this space :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Tweet0004 wrote: »
    or are you using it as a trial marriage .

AH Answer: I thought marriage was a trial

Serious Answer: A lot of people use it as an alternative to marriage.
    Cool_CM wrote: »
    It means living in sin!

Apparently....

I quite like the idea of living in sin but have always wondered what the rents like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The grandmother didn't cut her out of her will - the aunts and uncles did. My reading of this is that they were greedy, didn't want to split the money with the daughter and bluffed the story about grandmother not approving which the judge bought.

However its does say the granddaughter got some separate inheritance - so seems there is more to the story than the paper is reporting. Perhaps it is a fair deal in the end.

Oh right must have picked it up wrong. I knew that the aunts and uncles did nothing about to have her included in the will so as to get their share of the will.

Maybe. She did get a fair deal in the end. And yes the aunts and uncles were very greedy. So the grandmother just didn't approve of her cohabiting with the boyfriend before marriage but it be no reason for her to cut her out of the will totally so the aunts and uncles used that against her so she wouldn't get any share of the will. If she got a separate inheritance it only be fair but all the grandchildren should have been treated equally regardless of circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Well who knows really - I'm just reading between the lines/making **** up. For all we know this other inheritance the woman got was a million or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Maybe it depends on the age and cultural differences, but one thing I found weird about living in Ireland is how many young people do the whole moving in thing for several years, then get engaged for several years, and then kind of sink into this netherworld of neither here nor there until their 30s. Out of my circle of close friends from home in the US, I only had two friends who moved in with the OH before getting married, and in one case, they were already engaged and it made sense to move two months before the wedding because his lease was up.
    Your friends will have 50%+ divorce rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

We moved in together after going out for about a year and a half. It was a combination of being sick of sharing with housemates, spending most of our time together, and wanting a place to ourselves. We got to know each other much better I think than if we had been living in different houses. While it took a bit of getting used to at the start, I have to say it's been great! We are now together 5 and a half years and are having a baby in a few days! We may or may not get married, that really isn't a big deal for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Myself and my girlfriend were planning to move in together before we hooked up. We had been friends for a number of years and we both wanted to move out of our family homes once we left college.

As it happened we got together before we found a place, so we put it off for a few months. Then we ended up doing it anyway. Wouldn't change a thing, what could be better than living with your favourite person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

It means moving in with someone that actually cares about you as opposed to everyone else whom is just background noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

it can be a great thing but it depends!!! As long as your parents arent paying for ya all is good! I mean its great when family gets on and sticks together :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Only for someone that you love would you put up with full-time warts and all! Wouldn't change any of it though... but then again I am trying to teach him to clean properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

It's usually a bandage on a fatally wounded relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

It's usually a bandage on a fatally wounded relationship.
    kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I lived with a partner before. She had a little son from a previous relationship. It was awful now that I look back at it.

Advantages: More frequent lovin, splitting the bills, didn't have to do me ironing, Spare car outside if I couldn't find my keys around.

Disadvantages: Moaning, couldn't have a beer when I wanted, getting moaned for telling the little fella not to do something, being moaned at when little fella does something and he doesn't listen to her and I say nothing. etc etc.

Glad she threw me out ha ha
    the end of all fun , where ya goin , what ya doin , my friend has a birthday party we have to go to , then she says what do ya want for dinner then gives you 10 reasons why thats not what were havin ,DONT ASK WHAT I WANT IF YOURE NOT GONNA DO IT!!!

That whole, where are you going, who are you going with, what time will you be home at, sh!te drove me nuts. it was like living with me ma again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

no more saturday morning couch wánks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Moving in with her was the best move ever in my life.Her brother lived across the road .If his upstairs bedroom window was open on a Friday evening it meant he wanted to go for a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Tweet0004

Good way to spend Friday night:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Tweet0004

Was wondering, as had lived with ex, while in college, so been there already, but most of my friends who lived together, said keep your own place. But so far so good. Think he is finding it a bit harder, but nothing changed, just keep the romance alive....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

The first time I lived with a guy it turned into a disaster. ,"you can't wear that?" "youre not going out." "you can't have friends over, blah blah.." he was a psycho!!

Im with a guy now who I love and trust for the past year and a half. We will move in together hopefully this year, and im fairly confident about the relationship.

You learn the first time about living with someone. Whatever happens you generally wont make the same mistake twice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    AH Answer: I thought marriage was a trial

Nope, living with the person is the trial, marriage is the sentence

• Advertisement
Advertisement