Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I give up the ol drink

Options
  • 17-02-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I have recently been thinking that maybe now is a good time to quit the drink. While I have done this in the past it was for a specific reason (buying a computer, saving for a deposit, attempting my dream of being a world class toboganist)

My question to AH is, have any of you successfully given up the drink and if so what activity did you take up instead.

Obviously the health benefits and extra funds are a plus but do you find it has effected your social life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Don't tell me you're no longer toboggannananing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

longshanks wrote: »

I'm guessing that's some sh!te Rubber Bandits reference.

Anyways. OP? I'd suggest a cup of harden the f*ck up.

Do it or don't do it. Don't resort to After Hours for advice. It'll end in tears...........of laughter.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I see what you did there.

ól = drink

AM I THE ONLY ONE?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'm reducing my intake of spirits but I don't think I could give up the drink altogether.

If you could then go for it, saves your liver and your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

Boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

ItsNoAlias wrote: »
    I have recently been thinking

There's your problem no good will come of it.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Replace the drinking time with running time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Do you have to give it up completely?

I drink pretty rarely and when I do I drink in small to moderate amounts, which suits me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I got an unpleasant surprise on Tuesday when a routine visit to a laboratory for a range of tests led to a call several hours later from a doctor and the news that I have a previously undetected heart condition and need special medication until I can go into hospital to have it corrected. She also told me that I can have only the occasional small quantity of alcohol, so I decided to give it up altogether pro tem. There's nothing as bad as sipping on a small glass of wine and trying to make it last all evening.:)

Now I won't feel so bad about spending more on really good weed whenever I can get it.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

No more drunken wild monkey sex?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Is it negatively effecting your life? if the answer is Yes then the answer is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Don't give up op, alcohol never gave up on you,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Gave it up about may last year not really a concious decsion just got tired of it . Dont miss it at all lost weight and feel better for it. Wouldnt say i would never dribk again but i cant see me going back to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Become a stoner instead. Your liver will thank you but your productivity will go to sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

give up boards, your thread is boring the shyte out of me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I have recently been thinking that maybe now is a good time to quit the drink. While I have done this in the past it was for a specific reason (buying a computer, saving for a deposit, attempting my dream of being a world class toboganist)

My question to AH is, have any of you successfully given up the drink and if so what activity did you take up instead.

Obviously the health benefits and extra funds are a plus but do you find it has effected your social life?

You should post this in the non-drinkers forum on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

yourpics wrote: »
    You should post this in the non-drinkers forum on boards

yes he should, here in AH people are comfortable with their alcoholism :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

No, didn't have a social life before, thought I did....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I came in here expecting to read about some lad only after waking up from a rough session last night with a raging hangover, a munter beside him in the bed, some very foggy recollections of what happened the previous night and having no idea what part of the world he is currently in or how to get home.

Thread disappoints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

dont give it up.... what will the poor suffering vfi members do without being able to rip you off every time your in a pub.;) but joking aside good luck with quiting the drop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

chin_grin wrote: »
    I'm guessing that's some sh!te Rubber Bandits reference.

whut? the OP made a joke about being a tobogganist.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

longshanks wrote: »

He only goes to the rallies these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask the horses mouth here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I gave up Fanta, 7Up, Coca-cola and all those fizzy drinks years ago, isn't that what you're asking? :D

Still love da beer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Yes, I gave it up for about 6 months. I didn't take up any other activity.

I had some serious health probems at the time, so social life was out the window anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I have recently been thinking that maybe now is a good time to quit the drink. While I have done this in the past it was for a specific reason (buying a computer, saving for a deposit, attempting my dream of being a world class tobogganist)

Yes I have successfully stopped drinking alcohol,Took up a living a healthy fit lifestyle,My social life has improved greatly as I am not just sitting in the same bar every night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Parsley wrote: »
    whut? the OP made a joke about being a tobogganist.

It must be because I read the word with their Limerick twang! But if it's any help I'm digging in to the first bottle of beer now OP.

IT'S. SO. TASTY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

few naggins be grand, OP

Advertisement