Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

How people can watch sport all day every day is beyond me.
    Go to a match, watch the same match on tv, watch the high lights, discuss to death.
    Play golf, bore the sh1t out of everyone giving a stroke by stroke account of the round. I don't give a sh1t how you got from the bunker to within two foot from the pin.
    How can you watch cycling from the side of the road? Oh another bike has just gone by, yahoo. The same applies to motor sport.
    The best thing to happen modern tv was Sky. At least all the sport is no longer available on terrestrial tv.
    How can people watch programmes about the transfer window, who gives a crap who the next manager of Barnet will be?
    I know people who would watch yak racing if there was no other sport on tv.
    Grow up people, there is more to life than sport.

• realies wrote: »
    Saying you don't drink alcohol is a not very popular opinion, In Ireland anyway.

I had someone actually tell me they didn't trust me because I didn't want to go to a pub or have alcohol on a first date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

galljga1 wrote: »
    How people can watch sport all day every day is beyond me.
    Go to a match, watch the same match on tv, watch the high lights, discuss to death.
    Play golf, bore the sh1t out of everyone giving a stroke by stroke account of the round. I don't give a sh1t how you got from the bunker to within two foot from the pin.
    How can you watch cycling from the side of the road? Oh another bike has just gone by, yahoo. The same applies to motor sport.
    The best thing to happen modern tv was Sky. At least all the sport is no longer available on terrestrial tv.
    How can people watch programmes about the transfer window, who gives a crap who the next manager of Barnet will be?
    I know people who would watch yak racing if there was no other sport on tv.
    Grow up people, there is more to life than sport.

What do you talk about that's so interesting?

• I actually find watching sport exceedingly boring too. Much prefer doing it than watching.

Schwiiing wrote: »

Sport! among other things but it does not rule my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

People who support foreign football teams and ignore their local ones should be ashamed.

Liamario wrote: »
    People who support foreign football teams and ignore their local ones should be ashamed.

I support Man Utd. I watched Galway FC once and difference in quality was night and day. It's like watching the Royal Shakespeare company against the local school nativity play.

I support Man Utd. I watched Galway FC once and difference in quality was night and day. It's like watching the Royal Shakespeare company against the local school nativity play.

Fair enough, but that's besides the point. Why the hell do you support man utd over your local team? Surely you accept that most irish supporters of foreign clubs have no connection to those clubs?

What about people who support Man U, Liverpool etc but will not support England no matter who they are playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I dont see why we shouldnt have to pay for water. Its a utility, and probably the most vital one. Our water system is aging and in need of servicing. Its the far left parties using it as a banging drum and looking to get into power with no other strong political mandate.

There arefar bigger issues to address poor child care, excesive taxing of the middle and working class,unregulated state owned banks etc.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but that's besides the point. Why the hell do you support man utd over your local team? Surely you accept that most irish supporters of foreign clubs have no connection to those clubs?

The premiership was the only football discussed in school when I was young. It was a couple of years later before I even knew an Irish league existed. It was too late by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

Literally anything else?

Whenever I see footie on the telly this is all I hear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

My unpopular opinion: Paying a bit more tax isn't always a bad thing, sometimes for the greater good its worth it.

• When I look at the youth of today, I'm really worried about the future. People complain about political correctness for as long as I can remember, but Internet culture (the likes you'd find on Tumblr and other such places) is bringing it to heights the world has never seen and the egg shells you have to walk on have egg shells they have to walk on.

conorhal wrote: »
    Literally anything else?

Whenever I see footie on the telly this is all I hear..

Exactly how I feel.
    If there is not a match on, there is a lead up or postmortem. There are post season, pre season programmes, transfer programmes, manager programmes, endless nonsense that is not the actual match.
    Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

realies wrote: »
    Saying you don't drink alcohol is a not very popular opinion, In Ireland anyway.

Saying you don't drink alcohol isn't an opinion.

• Kev W wrote: »
    Saying you don't drink alcohol isn't an opinion.

How about if you think that drinking alcohol is a mostly pointless and overly expensive luxury?

There. That's an opinion.

How about if you think that drinking alcohol is a mostly pointless and overly expensive luxury?

One that I agree with as I drink way too much.

• I have no problem with drinking alcohol and it can be fun to get drunk and have been drunk with a few boardsies, but I also don't like being made feel like there's something wrong with me when I don't want to drink. That happens way more often than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You were expecting them to be of equal quality were you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

It can be overly expensive alright but if you shop wisely and drink in moderation it needn't be cripplingly expensive.
    As for pointless, that depends on what you're drinking and why.

• Kev W wrote: »
    It can be overly expensive alright but if you shop wisely and drink in moderation it needn't be cripplingly expensive.
    As for pointless, that depends on what you're drinking and why.

Oh, I'm a very smart shopper and barely drink in a pub if I've been predrinking and already lightly sozzled, but it still can work out very expensive for what you're ultimately getting. Maybe I've been living a somewhat-frugal life for way too long, who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

My local team are a fairly nondescript outfit from the Midlands. The last time I seen them play my badly hungover nephew scored the winner. I support them, but somehow I'm able to simultaneously support Manchester United. I've never felt ashamed of myself. Until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

On a serious note, have you seen RTE's Green is the Colour? I think it done a good job of explaining why English football developed such a following in Ireland.

I'd love to have a local League of Ireland team. The nearest to me would be any of the Dublin clubs. I've often considered heading to a game but I just don't feel any connection with them so it would just feel forced and artificial. Of course I support my local team but it's just amateur hour through and through. Good craic, but it's hardly an alternative to the Champions League.

I understand the point you're making though. If we put the same attention and money into our own teams then we could conceivably play a bigger role in European football. Imagine Irish and English teams meeting regularly in the Europa League, or having Spanish and German teams coming to Dublin and Galway for a cold and rainy second-leg? It's the stuff of dreams for any genuine football fan.

I think you're being too hard on people though. Imagine growing up with the Premier League in your living room, watching Alan Shearer running riot or Tony Yeboah driving in screamers from 25 yards. That's essentially what happened to me and the rest of my generation of football fans. My dad spent large periods of his life in Manchester and his siblings still live their, so I never had a choice in who to support. Manchester is such a huge part of my family's history. But if I did have a choice I'd probably still have picked them. Who else was I gonna support? Athlone? Galway? Sligo? I wanted to watch exciting football. I didn't want to see my brother and his hungover friends playing behind a car park for the 'local team'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The other issue you have in relation to local league is the attention is split in favour of "more Irish" sports like GAA.. and even if we did put more money/attention into local teams, we're a very small nation with a handful of EPL/World-class players. Unless out population ramps up tenfold that won't change!

Besides, I never get this "support your own regardless" attitude. If people don't feel a connection with the local team, and the quality isn't appealing then why shouldn't they support someone else, even if it's a (shock, horror) English side?

My unpopular opinion: Paying a bit more tax isn't always a bad thing, sometimes for the greater good its worth it.

I've no problem with paying more tax, but the money is rarely used as intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I like cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I like cake

make good websites http://ilikecake.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I think tattoos are uncool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You say you watched them once. Excellent way to form an opinion of a team. What if you saw United on a bad day? Bad argument. Besides, if that's the case and using your logic, watching Argentina and Ireland is night and day, would you support the Argentina national team over the Irish one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement