Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

I think the 1916 rebellion was wrong. An unelected minority declaring a republic and setting up armed posts in the city. Also think Pearse was a lunatic.

I think it's generally understood that Pearse was a bit "out there". Didn't he write some very.. odd short stories? I remember something about Jesus coming back as a naked schoolboy or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I think it's generally understood that Pearse was a bit "out there". Didn't he write some very.. odd short stories? I remember something about Jesus coming back as a naked schoolboy or something.

Yeah he was great at the old WTF literature :)

There's another one: 'Eoineen of the Birds' about a boy who talked with birds. Very surreal but a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

have they put a time limit on marriages in the recent legislation and not told anybody but you?

I agree with the guy - people should be forced to stay in unhappy marriage for the rest of their lives. That kind of environment is perfect for their kids if they have any, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Urm, what? :confused:

you should get out more , it's an old as the hills that phrase ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fag_hag

upon introduction you are usually informed that they have "loads of gay friends" kinda like a vegan or crossfit enthusiast.

in my search for a nice definition for you I found this one which is similar and made me laugh , it's new to me

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FRUIT+FLY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I think the 1916 rebellion was wrong. An unelected minority declaring a republic and setting up armed posts in the city. Also think Pearse was a lunatic.

Don't know about 1916 myself but the media fawning over "the relatives" of the 1916 is head wrecking.

Have a state function and leave it at that . These guys are dining out on something they had no hand in that happened years before they were even born.

I watch a good bit of American cookery reality TV shows - it's pretty much my guilty pleasure. Something that does bother me somewhat is the constant love and adoration they pour on soldiers, which often features on these shows. It's all "thank you for your service", "you're fighting for our freedom" and whatnot.

It just doesn't make sense to me whatsoever. It's all about heaping all of this on them, making them feel good about being a soldier, and yet a common story is that once they stop and become ex-soldiers, there's barely any services for them and barely any recognition for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I watch a good bit of American cookery reality TV shows - it's pretty much my guilty pleasure. Something that does bother me somewhat is the constant love and adoration they pour on soldiers, which often features on these shows. It's all "thank you for your service", "you're fighting for our freedom" and whatnot.

It just doesn't make sense to me whatsoever. It's all about heaping all of this on them, making them feel good about being a soldier, and yet a common story is that once they stop and become ex-soldiers, there's barely any services for them and barely any recognition for them.

It's patriotic brainwashing bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Freedom brownies,MMM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

It's patriotic brainwashing bull****

And we'll have a lot of it to look forward to here next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I blame that sh1t on Bush, Cheney and Rice during the post 911 and Afghan/Iraq wars. They got a largely compliant media and public to somehow think that if you were against the war you somehow "didn't support our troops". It was a mass lie that they told often enough that Americans actually believed it. They also got them to believe they were fighting for freedom and democracy rather than oil and gas.

btw what American cooking shows are good? I watch the Australian My Kitchen Rules which can be good but I've gotten tired of it now.

I quite enjoy Masterchef US, Hell's Kitchen US. That kind of stuff. But when you watch enough of 'em, you realize they follow the same formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I blame that sh1t on Bush, Cheney and Rice during the post 911 and Afghan/Iraq wars. They got a largely compliant media and public to somehow think that if you were against the war you somehow "didn't support our troops". It was a mass lie that they told often enough that Americans actually believed it. They also got them to believe they were fighting for freedom and democracy rather than oil and gas.

btw what American cooking shows are good? I watch the Australian My Kitchen Rules which can be good but I've gotten tired of it now.

“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Bush should still be president.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I quite enjoy Masterchef US, Hell's Kitchen US. That kind of stuff. But when you watch enough of 'em, you realize they follow the same formula.

ah yeah for sure, I believe most of them are formulated/scripted to a fair extent. But if you like food and cooking though they're still entertaining and you usually pick up a few decent ideas in between the inevitable 'disasters' and general peaks and troughs of these type of shows

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The Rugby World Cup has been a whole pile of meh so far. Even the best match of the tournament so far (Wales beating England) was saved by an exciting last ten minutes. There was literally more lads gone off injured or concussed than genuine try chances created up to then. In fact, due to the how physical teams have become, the games between the top sides have dipped in entertainment quality.

And I don't know how Japan defeating South Africa can be regarded as a massive upset, when in the grand scheme of things SA are going to qualify anyway (and probably top if they beat Scotland), and Japan are going to miss out. In the history of big sporting tournament shocks, it pales in comparison to Senegal defeating reigning world champions France in the 2002 World Cup, and South Korea knocking out Italy in the same tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I disagree, but I have a lot more respect for this type of opinion than for the hypocrites who eulogise and deify the likes of Collins or Barry or Breen every year and then turn round and denounce people who took up a handful of shotguns and old rifles to defend their homes in the 60s and 70s as terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aidan Holland

Some of the comments directed towards jack grealish today by Republic of Ireland fans are utterly disgusting including death threats and someone calling him English scum and yet these same retards will watch and support English teams on the weekends. I know the vast majority of our fans are decent people but there is a sinister fringe that is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its not a sinister fringe, its a world full of thick people. Social media is full of them.

I don't really think someone is prepared to commit murder and do life in prison cos Jack Grealish won't play for Ireland.

Edit: Grealish is entitled to choose England if he wants, he was born in England, schooled in England and I'm sure his mates growing up were all English.
    We need to get over a guys personal choice.

Some of the comments directed towards jack grealish today by Republic of Ireland fans are utterly disgusting including death threats and someone calling him English scum and yet these same retards will watch and support English teams on the weekends. I know the vast majority of our fans are decent people but there is a sinister fringe that is still there.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Its not a sinister fringe, its a world full of thick people. Social media is full of them.

I don't really think someone is prepared to commit murder and do life in prison cos Jack Grealish won't play for Ireland.

Edit: Grealish is entitled to choose England if he wants, he was born in England, schooled in England and I'm sure his mates growing up were all English.
    We need to get over a guys personal choice.

Oh my God! I just googled this when I read it here. Are people actually annoyed because some young lad from birmingham has chosen to play for England rather than where his grandparents are from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Oh my God! I just googled this when I read it here. Are people actually annoyed because some young lad from birmingham has chosen to play for England rather than where his grandparents are from?

He played u17, u18 and u21 for Ireland so it's not as simple as English lad declares for England. I think what really annoyed people is how long it took him to decide. I don't care too much either way but if I was either manager I would have told him to fu*k off a long time ago

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    He played u17, u18 and u21 for Ireland so it's not as simple as English lad declares for England. I think what really annoyed people is how long it took him to decide. I don't care too much either way but if I was either manager I would have told him to fu*k off a long time ago

It pretty much is though. I mean, how many of the people annoyed at this are ok with players from the north opting for the de-facto all Ireland team after playing underage with the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

There is very little difference between the IRA of the 1970s and those in the 1920s, all of those leaders who we call heroes ( rightly so imo) would have done what the likes of Adams and McGuinness did, it's hypocritical to call Gerry Adams a terrorist and treat the likes of Mandela and Dev as heroes.

There is very little difference between the IRA of the 1970s and those in the 1920s, all of those leaders who we call heroes ( rightly so imo) would have done what the likes of Adams and McGuinness did, it's hypocritical to call Gerry Adams a terrorist and treat the likes of Mandela and Dev as heroes.

Which is exactly why I'd have more respect for the chap above saying he would have opposed the Easter Rising. At least that point of view is consistent and based on a genuine belief/philosophy rather than just the political expediency of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aidan Holland

Mandela was a scumbag anyway I used to look up to him until I saw a video on YouTube by a guy called Stefan molyneux who spent some time in South Africa and that Mandela used to order bombing of busy car parks especially rugby stadium ones from his prison cell and that he would have been released earlier from prison had he told his fellow anc members to stop bombing but he refused every time

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The Rugby World Cup has been a whole pile of meh so far. Even the best match of the tournament so far (Wales beating England) was saved by an exciting last ten minutes. There was literally more lads gone off injured or concussed than genuine try chances created up to then. In fact, due to the how physical teams have become, the games between the top sides have dipped in entertainment quality.

And I don't know how Japan defeating South Africa can be regarded as a massive upset, when in the grand scheme of things SA are going to qualify anyway (and probably top if they beat Scotland), and Japan are going to miss out. In the history of big sporting tournament shocks, it pales in comparison to Senegal defeating reigning world champions France in the 2002 World Cup, and South Korea knocking out Italy in the same tournament.
    Japan v South Africa has been the game of the tournament so far. It was brilliantly exciting, and fast paced from start to finish, with the real underdog coming out trumps at the end and it was all down to their doggedness and bravery to go for it at the end.

Senegal beat a very poor French side who were at loggerheads during the Tournament, and South Korea had home (and probably FIFA) advantage in beating Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be fair though, it is a decision for life - you cannot take it back - and he only turned 20 less than three weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be fair though, it is a decision for life - you cannot take it back - and he only turned 20 less than three weeks ago.

if he doesn't get playing for England in the next few years and becomes a run of the mill player then he'll be regretting it

if that does happen I hope he isn't allowed play for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I think that him getting his agent involved with Martin o Neill also pissed a lot of people of as gave the impression that the decision involved money as well.

I don't have any problem with people who are pissed of with this within reason as he used the Irish under age teams to further himself and had no problem playing for them instead of England when it suited them,now when he is getting recognition he finds England is his country so there isn't much loyalty there and there was no need to drag this on so long and let the Irish management team embarres themselves even further.

Roy Hodgson was the only one there to come out with any dignity when he refused to meet his agent,hope he now gives him 5 minutes against Lithuania and we never hear from him again if only for the crime of that haircut alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Quazzie wrote: »
    Japan v South Africa has been the game of the tournament so far. It was brilliantly exciting, and fast paced from start to finish, with the real underdog coming out trumps at the end and it was all down to their doggedness and bravery to go for it at the end.

Senegal beat a very poor French side who were at loggerheads during the Tournament, and South Korea had home (and probably FIFA) advantage in beating Italy

Yeah but my point is it will have no effect on South Africa's tournament when they still qualify anyway. The other two examples are bigger shocks as no matter what spin you put on to say otherwise, they were still massive favourites to beat the underdogs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement