Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Vladimir Putin appreciation thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Chrongen wrote: »
    Why don't you give your arse a chance? Former Ambassador to Uzbekistan has a different take on events and it is quite frankly a lot more sensible than your absurd and ludicrous suspicions:

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2018/03/russian-to-judgement/

Read his article and then try and set aside some time to take a few deep breaths and attempt to open your mind a little wider and do some logical emotion-less thinking and analysis. You'd be surprised at what you might accomplish and how quickly Britain's spin machine starts to look ridiculous.

I am alarmed by the security, spying and armaments industries’ frenetic efforts to stoke Russophobia and heat up the new cold war. I am especially alarmed at the stream of cold war warrior “experts” dominating the news cycles. I write as someone who believes that agents of the Russian state did assassinate Litvinenko, and that the Russian security services carried out at least some of the apartment bombings that provided the pretext for the brutal assault on Chechnya. I believe the Russian occupation of Crimea and parts of Georgia is illegal. On the other hand, in Syria Russia has saved the Middle East from domination by a new wave of US and Saudi sponsored extreme jihadists.

The Russians invited the public to name their new, impenetrable ICBMs - hardly cooling the cold war.

The author agrees that Russia used Polonium on British soil, illegally bombed, committed a brutal assault, illegal occupations but not this attack :rolleyes:

He also believes that Russia is the saviour of the Middle East.

And you expect me to take this seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

Why don't you give your arse a chance? Former Ambassador to Uzbekistan has a different take on events and it is quite frankly a lot more sensible than your absurd and ludicrous suspicions:

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2018/03/russian-to-judgement/

Read his article and then try and set aside some time to take a few deep breaths and attempt to open your mind a little wider and do some logical emotion-less thinking and analysis. You'd be surprised at what you might accomplish and how quickly Britain's spin machine starts to look ridiculous.

You mention keeping an open mind.
    Would you say that Murray is an unbiased commentator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

cnocbui wrote: »
    The irony of you implying you are capable of independent thought when all you ever engage in is a repetition of official Russian misdirection and bombast is epically ironic.

You can't even manage simple geography. Let me help you there:

Baltic.jpg

Crimea is not in the Baltic.

The US is a Democracy. Russia is not. US Organisations like the CIA, FBI and NSA are answerable to elected political representatives, as evidenced by the assessment that the CIA lied about the significance and importance of information derived via torture. Clearly there is independent oversight and assessment of the integrity of these bodies. A report compiled by all three of those organisations concluded:

http://www.newsweek.com/intelligence-report-governments-key-findings-russian-hacking-efforts-540082

I find that credible. That you do not speaks for both your intelligence and capacity for critical judgement.

I don't swallow any statements by governments, organisations or individuals without independent thought. The irony of you deriding me for for not being a CO2 climate change believer is hilarious given your claims I always just believe and parrot the official line.

You have officially sanctioned Russian state media gloating over multiple suspicious deaths of Russians in the UK, basically warning Russians that if they betray Russia, the same is likely to happen to them. That was tantamount to an admission that those deaths weren't accidental and were intentionally arranged.

You talk about an inability for independent thought yet you can't even comprehend the most trivial basics of what is happening. Litvinenko was assassinated with Polonium. It was deliberately chosen to send a strong message because the substance is such that only a nation-state would be able to manufacture it. Putin might as well have carved his name on Litvinenko's forehead and posed with him for a selfie and posted it on Facebook. As assassinations go it was deliberately not subtle or anonymous. The same goes for the poisoning of Skripal. A substance was used that was deliberately and unmistakably linkable to a nation state - Russia. Again, the intention is clearly to send a strong message, the Russian media doubles up on the message and as good as admits these events were Officially contrived, gloats and warns the populace.

A BBC article summed it up rather well:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43355904

I never said that Crimea was in the Baltic. What the hell are you talking about? There has been hysteria in the West about Russia's "plans" to invade Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania and maybe gobble up Poland as well in the process. Are you so blinkered that you have to just focus on one farce, i.e. Crimea and think that all other arguments surround it?

I never said that Crimea was in the Baltic. What the hell are you talking about? There has been hysteria in the West about Russia's "plans" to invade Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania and maybe gobble up Poland as well in the process. Are you so blinkered that you have to just focus on one farce, i.e. Crimea and think that all other arguments surround it?

My friend in Finland is about to start his compulsory national service. The only reason why is it has a border with Russia. The Finns genuinely fear that Putin could attack. That's how much he has escalated the Cold War.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

jamesbere wrote: »
    Only last week he murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick! he's so mean he makes medicine sick! :pac:

That was somebody else. Who thought HE was The Greatest

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    You think that the British public don't care about the first ever use of a nerve agent. You think they wouldn't care about a whole town being affected ? Some experts are talking about the remnants of this agent lasting for years.

This comes on the back of the Polonium episode that shut down parts of London. The accused now runs a posh restaurant in Moscow favoured by Putin. How would Putin react to a nerve agent attack in Moscow ? It's state terrorism pure & simple.

I don't think the British public are as dumb as you think. If they were then the bullshitters in Whitehall would know that they could recommend that joe bloggs should go out and buy bin bags and sellotape and seal up his windows to save himself from chemical weapons. That crap might work on the dummies in the US but the British public aren't that thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are unreal.
    And when you produce photographs of Russian columns in Georgia and try to mug people off by saying it's a photo of Russians entering eastern Ukraine ... You will swallow hook line and sinker any fairytale that you are told about Russia invading the Baltics

My friend in Finland is about to start his compulsory national service. The only reason why is it has a border with Russia. The Finns genuinely fear that Putin could attack. That's how much he has escalated the Cold War.

Really? None of my Polish or Lithuanian friends share the same terror.

I don't think the British public are as dumb as you think. If they were then the bullshitters in Whitehall would know that they could recommend that joe bloggs should go out and buy bin bags and sellotape and seal up his windows to save himself from chemical weapons. That crap might work on the dummies in the US but the British public aren't that thick.

You can't of been well trained if you don't understand the British Psyche. Terrorism doesn't work. The British see Putin as a joke. The gay guy on a horse. They know from Livinenko's death & Russia's denial, that Putin will just lie.

Putin's cronies see London as their playground - a safe place to hide their & his money. He may live to regret authorising this attack. The timing is hilarious just after the McMafia series.

Really? None of my Polish or Lithuanian friends share the same terror.

Mine do

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    You are unreal.

Just because I put "Crimea" and "Baltics" in the same paragraph you think I think Crimea is IN the Baltic region?

What kind of a stupid game are you trying to play or are you just realising that you look stupid for your accusation and silly little map and are now trying to double-down on your mistake? Why don't you just admit that you got the wrong end of the stick?

When I referred to a Russian invasion of the Baltics I was referring to the Western hysteria about how Russia was gearing up to invade Lithuania and Latvia and that is why NATO needed to ramp up troop numbers there.

You got it completely wrong and jumped on it and now look like a fool.

Mine do

Are they the kind of people one could sell a bridge to?

A very brave or stupid Russian expert, speaking on the Sky from Russia, has just said that Russia is the only country that has access to this strain of nerve agent. He also said that it's use will of been authorised by the Kremlin

Just because I put "Crimea" and "Baltics" in the same paragraph you think I think Crimea is IN the Baltic region?

What kind of a stupid game are you trying to play or are you just realising that you look stupid for your accusation and silly little map and are now trying to double-down on your mistake? Why don't you just admit that you got the wrong end of the stick?

When I referred to a Russian invasion of the Baltics I was referring to the Western hysteria about how Russia was gearing up to invade Lithuania and Latvia and that is why NATO needed to ramp up troop numbers there.

You got it completely wrong and jumped on it and now look like a fool.

Are you Trump's speech writer ?

I am alarmed by the security, spying and armaments industries’ frenetic efforts to stoke Russophobia and heat up the new cold war. I am especially alarmed at the stream of cold war warrior “experts” dominating the news cycles. I write as someone who believes that agents of the Russian state did assassinate Litvinenko, and that the Russian security services carried out at least some of the apartment bombings that provided the pretext for the brutal assault on Chechnya. I believe the Russian occupation of Crimea and parts of Georgia is illegal. On the other hand, in Syria Russia has saved the Middle East from domination by a new wave of US and Saudi sponsored extreme jihadists.

The Russians invited the public to name their new, impenetrable ICBMs - hardly cooling the cold war.

The author agrees that Russia used Polonium on British soil, illegally bombed, committed a brutal assault, illegal occupations but not this attack :rolleyes:

He also believes that Russia is the saviour of the Middle East.

And you expect me to take this seriously.

Why not? He has a lot more experience with the security services than you do.

You believe Teresa May and doubt this guy?

What exactly is so impossible to fathom in what he says? Is it that it contradicts your initial view so it MUST be false because you don't want to consider that you got it wrong?

Are you Trump's speech writer ?

No. No I'm not.

Is that your response to getting it completely and utterly wrong?

Don't bother answering. It's clear you've just realised your blunder. I won't rub your nose in the carpet you defecated on.

You and cnocbui.

Why not? He has a lot more experience with the security services than you do.

You believe Teresa May and doubt this guy?

What exactly is so impossible to fathom in what he says? Is it that it contradicts your initial view so it MUST be false because you don't want to consider that you got it wrong?

He agrees that Putin authorised the murder of a London resident using a dangerous toxic chemical in a public place. But not this time :pac:

When will Putin hand over the man responsible ?

No. No I'm not.

Is that your response to getting it completely and utterly wrong?

Don't bother answering. It's clear you've just realised your blunder. I won't rub your nose in the carpet you defecated on.

You and cnocbui.

I am so pleased that I looked in this thread. You are Putin's Chemical Ali & comedy gold :pac:

I will write to Vlad & suggest he stops your payments as you are seriously bad at promoting his cause.

Am I speaking to the same person as last night's chrongen? I only ask because this is not the first time Ive seen you take one position after a post, then completely change a short period later. I can only imagine this is some kind of parody of the russian troll factory meme.

Now to return to your Donbas argument, you may not have been present when I made the case that there were russian "volunteers" (a phrase which spans actual volunteers to russian contract troops) in donbass, but everyone arguing against the idea seemed to go quiet once I finished proving the point. Now if the media reports, photography, testimony of soldiers and familiarity with the russian MO in these frozen conflicts is not enough for you, perhaps you could reread some of the arguments I made.

Otherwise, youre not so much representing a healthy skepticism as much as a deranged refusal to consider the facts, like a no moon landing nut or a holocaust denier. And given your other contributions on this forum on diverse subjects I find it difficult to sustain that proposition.

What's your opinion on climate change deniers?
    Do they get a pass if they bash Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Go ahead and boycott it. See how far that idea goes with the English public who couldn't give a fuck about Teresa May or BoJo the Clown or the rest of the Washington arse-lickers. You think that the world will come screeching to a halt because Britain, the most important people on Earth, are going to take their ball and go home?

Yes, it can't be a real World Cup if mighty England refuse to take part.

:pac:

If the English do boycott the upcoming world cup, there is also the bonus of not having to listen to them bang on and on and on about 1966 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

So 23 'diplomats' to be expelled.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43402506
    I expect Russia to announce a similar retaliatory expulsion shortly.
    All a bit toothless, but what else could be expected?

josip wrote: »
    So 23 'diplomats' to be expelled.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43402506
    I expect Russia to announce a similar retaliatory expulsion shortly.
    All a bit toothless, but what else could be expected?

You'd hardly expect the UK to announce it's measures in advance. They will do a lot more than expelling diplomats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

23 Russian diplomats expelled - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43402506

The UK is in a tough spot here thanks in part (again) to Brexit - militarily they know Trump will do as he is told and stay out of it even if that means breaking with NATO, financially there is so much Russian money in the city of London (and so much dependence on London to keep things ticking post Brexit at least in the short term, I would imagine).

The time is not now, it was years ago, but questions need to be asked over if Russia should be looked at as a rogue nation at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So Mays tigress turns out to have sponge teeth. Very weak sanctions against the Russians.

gandalf wrote: »
    So Mays tigress turns out to have sponge teeth. Very weak sanctions against the Russians.
    As expected really, the UK is in a feckless position here and Uncle Vlad knows it, hence he's more or less free to do whatever he wants.

You'd have to wonder how much the jingoistic, antagonistic "Brexit means Brexit" talk may have damaged May's chances of seeking assistance from Europe here.

Billy86 wrote: »
    23 Russian diplomats expelled - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43402506

The UK is in a tough spot here thanks in part (again) to Brexit - militarily they know Trump will do as he is told and stay out of it even if that means breaking with NATO, financially there is so much Russian money in the city of London (and so much dependence on London to keep things ticking post Brexit at least in the short term, I would imagine).

The time is not now, it was years ago, but questions need to be asked over if Russia should be looked at as a rogue nation at this point.

We've entered the twilight zone.
    Level an accusation against someone.
    Provide no proof of that accusation let alone evidence.
    Demand that the accused prove their innocence within a certain timeframe.
    Punish the accused for not proving their innocence before an investigation has even begun.

Teresa May has set a very dangerous precedent for herself. She's effectively thrown the jurisprudence book out the window.

Russia's response will be interesting. No doubt it will be measured and well thought out and will effectively hurt Teresa May and Britain for her rash and cavalier behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Maybe she's a Chelsea fan and can't stand the possibility of Abramovich abandoning them to asset-strippers on Vlad's orders. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Must be a bonus per post today ......

Russia's response will be interesting. No doubt it will be measured and well thought out and will effectively hurt Teresa May and Britain for her rash and cavalier behaviour.
    No more no less to be expected from Dear Infallible Great Leader I'm sure.

I'd be expecting a similar reaction to when the US did the same last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I know Gandalf touched on the world cup ,but after the invasion , occupation of Crimea and eastern Ukraine and along with the Shooting down of MH17 , which had Seth Blatter personally flying to Moscow to guarantee that Russia wouldn't be touched over their actions ,I wouldn't have expected anything further ,it was shown with the Olympics doping scandal ,russia believes they are immune from any action ,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement