Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Knowledge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

osarusan wrote: »

There goes my morning's productivity!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Anyone who can order a beer in six different languages knows all they need to know.

Damn...I can do it in 5 (English, Spanish, French, Irish and German)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Damn...I can do it in 5 (English, Spanish, French, Irish and German)

Ah sure, google the word for beer in Russian and you're across the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Well i knew a schoolteacher who would not permit houseplants in her elderly parents house because she feared the plants would suck the oxygen out of the room..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Well i knew a schoolteacher who would not permit houseplants in her elderly parents house because she feared the plants would suck the oxygen out of the room..
    They do, at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

All the Canadian airports have funny airport codes
    YYZ

Great song by Rush so it is.

They do, at night.

You probably see what was meant though. There was a kind of half understanding of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

All the Canadian airports have funny airport codes
    YYZ
    YYC
    YVR

There doesn't seem to be a reason either, they just do.

and YYZ is the name of a Rush song, named after the airport code!

I am enoying learning more about not so well known irish history and local history and geography. Finding Brehon law interesting at the moment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Films, literature and things about animals I'm fairly alright at, not too bad at basic geography, history and current events. Technology or non-popular science? Forget about it.

That's my general knowledge base, so as far as I'm concerned, that's the correct one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Zaph wrote: »
    The distance from Wellington to Madrid going east to west is further than Wellington to Dublin or Reykjavik going west to east.
    Actually it's more of an antipode thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Lapin wrote: »
    Here is the ultimate After Hours General Knowledge question -

What is the third largest city in the Republic of Ireland?

Answer -
    Galway. Anyone who answered Limerick doesn't know their arse from their elbow.

Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The capital of Liechtenstein, give it to me without google or wiki.

Who was considered High King during the first period of Viking raids?
    Áed Oirdnide of the Cenél nEógain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

osarusan wrote: »

My knowledge of Africa and South America is pretty bad, and East Asia, and Central/West America...

I know where Ireland is... roughly.

I still came out with a higher score than you though :p

orangesoda wrote: »
    Who was considered High King during the first period of Viking raids?
    Áed Oirdnide of the Cenél nEógain

O'Connors were our royal family, those Viking scumbags entertained the Ulster crowd O'Neills, their clan went by many different names before their flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

City 17

• Advertisement

O'Connors were our royal family, those Viking scumbags entertained the Ulster crowd O'Neills, their clan went by many different names before their flight.

Ulster handled themselves very well against the Vikings, the O'Neills were even nicknamed 'Craobh' as they used to camouflage themselves well in the forests against them. Only really Derry City and Armagh had a hard time of it as they had the churches for the plunder.

As you can see they were more successful in the south coast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Viking_Ireland.png

no i think you're wrong there, the o'neill surname came from Niall Glundubh of the 10th century, as in 'son of niall', only the O part changed, it was Ui and Ua sometimes

Ulster handled themselves very well against the Vikings, the O'Neills were even nicknamed 'Craobh' as they used to camouflage themselves well in the forests against them. Only really Derry City and Armagh had a hard time of it as they had the churches for the plunder.

As you can see they were more successful in the south coast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Viking_Ireland.png

no i think you're wrong there, the o'neill surname came from Niall Glundubh of the 10th century, as in 'son of niall', only the O part changed, it was Ui and Ua sometimes

Did you know that Hugh O'Neill was a bastard child and was only connected to the clan through his mother, the savage O'Neills never learnt of this, it was only exposed after his death.

The O'Connor's are the last real High King Royal family of Ireland. Ruaidri Ua Conchobhair.

Did you know that Hugh O'Neill was a bastard child and was only connected to the clan through his mother, the savage O'Neills never learnt of this, it was only exposed after his death.

The O'Connor's are the last real High King Royal family of Ireland. Ruaidri Ua Conchobhair.

Yes he was a Kelly i think, he was born in The Pale as well but he was the strongest man on the island at the time and nearly defeated the English so he was The Pale's greatest ever export.

Last yes, greatest no, that would be like saying that Wigan are the greatest soccer team in England since they were the last to win the FA Cup

Yes he was a Kelly i think, he was born in The Pale as well but he was the strongest man on the island at the time and nearly defeated the English so he was The Pale's greatest ever export.

Last yes, greatest no, that would be like saying that Wigan are the greatest soccer team in England since they were the last to win the FA Cup

He was a politician of his day, he wormed and lied and took flight when his game was up.

He was a politician of his day, he wormed and lied and took flight when his game was up.

He went with the O'Donnell's but always had plans of returning with an army, staying at home was no use

He went with the O'Donnell's but always had plans of returning with an army, staying at home was no use

Did never return though and the province was planted with Scottish Presbyterians, where people like Ivor Bell came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Vaduz.

pajor wrote: »
    Vaduz.

Correct my good man.

Did never return though and the province was planted with Scottish Presbyterians, where people like Ivor Bell came from.

He can't be blamed for them though, we always had a close link with the Scot Gaels through inter-marriage, etc but the plantation crowd seemed to turn into a group with an extreme loyalty to England/Britain even though a lot of their ancestors fought in the Scottish wars of independence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

vague notion that a food called chutney exists and what it is.

spicy jam.

Advertisement