Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone know a non-alcoholic wine that tastes alcholic?

• 19-02-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

I want to do a label swap, pretend its alcohol, give it to my little bro and his friends and see what happens.

Any ideas whats the best to use for this? Obviously I don't want something that tastes like Ribena.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Buckfast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Dammit, I was about to say Ribena!

Cidona. Tell him\them it's cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Vodka with red food colouring, won't know the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Will they be able to tell the difference? I thought (was told) that Cidona was alcoholic up until embarrassingly late in life.

If they are wine connaisseurs, they will probably catch on pretty fast anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Get schlor fruit juice and add some domestos*

That should give it a good kick.

*This may or may not kill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Or schloer? Tell them it's sparkling white wine. Just take the label off it and stick on one from an actual bottle (of wine).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I once drank an entire bottle of Chambertin soixante neuf. It had an unctuous texture, notes of blackcurrant, cherry, liquorice, cassis and chocolate. I acknowledged three things as I slipped into intoxication:

1) That the rich Turkish brunette was not, in fact, out of my league, and that I could easily get around to banging her while armed with my butter-knife sharp wit.

2) That Proust effectively rendered almost every preceding author, apart from De La Rochefoucauld, irrelevant, and that fact effectively rendered my literary pursuits ages 16 to 21 irrelevant.

3) That good wine might as well be non-alcoholic to those who appreciate it (a small group of people whom I consider myself to be a peripheral member) as the intoxicating effects are almost completely nullified by the awe at what can be achieved with a grape and a piece of wood.

Once again I have failed to answer anybody's questions and rambled on about subjects which interest me and me only. For that I aplologise.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Give them tonic water :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Jesus Juice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Lad once joked to me that non alcoholic drinks were like going down on your sister, tastes the same but you just know that it's wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

There is a wine, brand called Ariel that has won awards. Never tried it myself and think you may have to get it delivered so you may not want to go that far.

Failing that, there are a few non-alco wines in Dunnes. I tried one recently that was retailing at €7.99 and it tasted fairly legit (the price is at any rate).:D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

schloer with vinegar.

Football special tastes a bit like black russian - put a drop of coffee in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

p.s. remember years ago (when we were about 12 - in the 80's) when we told a girl in our class that club shandy was alcolohic. We gave her some at a disco and she really did think she was drunk. Acted more of an ejjit that she usually was.

I wish that's all it took now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

You need to start being cool and give your bro some Purple Drank. All the brothers in states do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I've tried most of the non alcoholic White wines and Torres natureo is the most like real white wine.

If he's a red wine drinker, you're not going to find a substitute that would fool him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I once drank an entire bottle of Chambertin soixante neuf. It had an unctuous texture, notes of blackcurrant, cherry, liquorice, cassis and chocolate. I acknowledged three things as I slipped into intoxication:

1) That the rich Turkish brunette was not, in fact, out of my league, and that I could easily get around to banging her while armed with my butter-knife sharp wit.

2) That Proust effectively rendered almost every preceding author, apart from De La Rochefoucauld, irrelevant, and that fact effectively rendered my literary pursuits ages 16 to 21 irrelevant.

3) That good wine might as well be non-alcoholic to those who appreciate it (a small group of people whom I consider myself to be a peripheral member) as the intoxicating effects are almost completely nullified by the awe at what can be achieved with a grape and a piece of wood.

Once again I have failed to answer anybody's questions and rambled on about subjects which interest me and me only. For that I aplologise.

Not even one 'guffaw' in that whole post? :confused:

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

kfallon wrote: »
    Not even one 'guffaw' in that whole post? :confused:

:P

Nah,I laughed, but probably not in the way deux intended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Dr. Frasier Crane.. that you???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Get an alcoholic one and boil the alcohol out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Pottler wrote: »
    Lad once joked to me that non alcoholic drinks were like going down on your sister, tastes the same but you just know that it's wrong.
    It's not a joke, it's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

non alcoholic beer/wine is like going down on your sister.

it tastes the same but just doesnt feel right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

MsQuinn wrote: »
    p.s. remember years ago (when we were about 12 - in the 80's) when we told a girl in our class that club shandy was alcolohic. We gave her some at a disco and she really did think she was drunk. Acted more of an ejjit that she usually was.

I wish that's all it took now.

Club shandy was alcoholic. Not very strong but certainly alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

FatherLen wrote: »
    non alcoholic beer/wine is like going down on your sister.

it tastes the same but just doesnt feel right.

That's very clever and original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Downlinz wrote: »
    I want to do a label swap, pretend its alcohol, give it to my little bro and his friends and see what happens.

I smell a noble prize for somebody! :)

please post the result on youtube btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

poisonated wrote: »
    That's very clever and original.

so is your face

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Farmers wine is non alcoholic, tasted it once when blowing on a non return, it would knock the head off you in volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Farmers wine is non alcoholic, tasted it once when blowing on a non return, it would knock the head off you in volume.

Say what now?

Advertisement