Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

My mother doesn't live far and is connected to a fibre can and recently got it in. Haven't checked what it's syncing at but getting 30 down and 17 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

guil wrote: »
    My mother doesn't live far and is connected to a fibre can and recently got it in. Haven't checked what it's syncing at but getting 30 down and 17 up.

Either thats rate adaptive and not reaching the limit or wifi bottlenecking the test.

I'll check the stats tomorrow. She's on the same road as the cab and only a few hundred metres away.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

MBSnr wrote: »
    Just to expand on the OP - I just noticed that if you select nothing (on the map status) and zoom in you can see the all the cabs including the ID's in the local exchanges. They are listed as XXX1_EXX whereas the VDSL street cabinets are listed as XXX1_XXX. Most larger towns have them listed as planned.

By combining this insight with a look at the rollout dates on the Eircom Fibre Map for areas which only have an exchange nearby (no cabinets), I think you can get a hint at when higher speeds will be available for exchange-fed lines.

For example:

1. Look at Lorrha between Portumna and Birr on the Eircom Wholesale fibre broadband network page (sorry I can't post a link - boards.ie doesn't allow infrequent new users to post links). If you hover over the dot on this map you'll see the dot is called 'LHA1_ E 01' so it's an exchange.

2. Looking at Google streetmaps for the location of any of those dots with an E in the name, you can confirm it is an exchange because there's an eircom building rather than a cabinet at that site.

3. Look at the rollout date for Lorrha on the Eircom Fibre map. It's April to June 2015 (probably 6 months later in reality based on the delays in the rollout of other areas)

Even if there's cabinets in your area but you're connected to an exchange, you can get an approximation for the rollout date to your house by looking at a nearby area where there's an exchange but no cabinets nearby. E.g. my area has cabinets near my exchange that have already upgraded so it's showing that fibre is currently available for my area. Obviously I can't get it yet because my line goes directly into an exchange. However for nearby areas that have no cabinets, but do have an exchange, it's showing availability of fibre anywhere from January to June 2015 (so probably actually available from June to December 2015). I'm guessing my exchange will be upgraded around the same time.

guil wrote: »
    I'll check the stats tomorrow. She's on the same road as the cab and only a few hundred metres away.

Forgot about this but the router is syncing at 50 down and 20 up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Caspero wrote: »
    By combining this insight with a look at the rollout dates on the Eircom Fibre Map for areas which only have an exchange nearby (no cabinets), I think you can get a hint at when higher speeds will be available for exchange-fed lines.

For example:

1. Look at Lorrha between Portumna and Birr on the Eircom Wholesale fibre broadband network page (sorry I can't post a link - boards.ie doesn't allow infrequent new users to post links). If you hover over the dot on this map you'll see the dot is called 'LHA1_ E 01' so it's an exchange.

2. Looking at Google streetmaps for the location of any of those dots with an E in the name, you can confirm it is an exchange because there's an eircom building rather than a cabinet at that site.

3. Look at the rollout date for Lorrha on the Eircom Fibre map. It's April to June 2015 (probably 6 months later in reality based on the delays in the rollout of other areas)

Even if there's cabinets in your area but you're connected to an exchange, you can get an approximation for the rollout date to your house by looking at a nearby area where there's an exchange but no cabinets nearby. E.g. my area has cabinets near my exchange that have already upgraded so it's showing that fibre is currently available for my area. Obviously I can't get it yet because my line goes directly into an exchange. However for nearby areas that have no cabinets, but do have an exchange, it's showing availability of fibre anywhere from January to June 2015 (so probably actually available from June to December 2015). I'm guessing my exchange will be upgraded around the same time.

Exchange fed lines will unfortunatley operate with lower capabilities than the cabinet terminated users due to the fact that the approved solution for direct fed runs at a much lower frequency than the cabinet fed systems. This makes me sad.

dbit wrote: »
    Exchange fed lines will unfortunatley operate with lower capabilities than the cabinet terminated users due to the fact that the approved solution for direct fed runs at a much lower frequency than the cabinet fed systems. This makes me sad.

They don't. The frequency limit has a negligible limit on sync speed. Very few DF lines are less than 200m so few are on the top profiles, but they get the same performance per m of local loop as cabinet launched lines.

Still im very Sad . Looking to the ESB areas for new house Fook eircom and Fook DF lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Its in my estate in Kilcock, anyone know what its like around there?

I do not expect this to carry any weight with anyone nor in Eircom . I found myself banned from Eircom support Forums due to my posts objecting to the treatment of direct fed users. I have since made a formal complaint as i received no warnings nor breached any policies as per the forums.

I have sent this in my complaint :-

The other side of My complaint is that the silly disclaimer you put on the site that is an attempt to cover Eircom when customers are drawn to the Big Efibre advertising campaign , the note is supposed to alleviate any pressure from Eircom for Direct fed to exchange customers. Upon sign up i was flashed constantly with up to 100MB efibre , saw that efibre was available in my area. ( I moved to Macroom town as it had the efibre now available ), The line checker was telling me its available in the area just not enabled at my address yet . This is simply not fair , I am allegedly now bound to a ridiculous 18 month contract as this is required for Efibre sign ups - i cannot avail of the service so why am I then forced to 18 months over standard 12 months . Eircom have a Database and know full well when someone runs line checker to query a number that they can flag you there and then and tell if a line is direct exchange fed or not . Eircom knew and know full well that upon signup I could not avail of efibre yet no flag went up to notify me at time of sign up.

In Macroom town there is a plan to fit a cabinet (Possibly a year or more away) for this solution but this is not what i signed up for , I signed up to efibre broadband and simply Eircom cannot deliver . I complain in forums , received no such warnings and got banned from the support forums now this to me is a two fold breech of contract from Eircom . Comreg will be notified if i do not get some form of reductions due to the lack of speed i get @ 17 MB which is totally ridiculous. I work as a Virtual Data-center Administrator/Engineer (Speeds are critical to my work and lively hood) and if I were to treat my customers as Eircom do I would be out of business pretty quickly.

Why am I forced to pay the same price as some one who lives 50 yards from me who can receive 100MB efbire, all the while I sit on a ridiculous ADSL +2 service . The way in which I have been treated as a customer is not acceptable and I cannot see comreg defending Eircom in this situation as Eircom have the backend information required to notify a user at sign up that they cannot provide the advertised service to the signer.

The other side of all of this is that i have measured my line attenuation and SNR and I can receive more than 17MB on the service but do not . The upload is something i have grown to loath and regret moving away from upc and cork city.

I really do not expect any form of positive response from Eircom , Im just sending this to back my future case with comreg.

Regards mistreated , misinformed and abused customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

The line checker was telling me its available in the area just not enabled at my address yet

FYI this happened to me too. From about July or August 2014 to mid-October 2014, the Eircom line checker said that my number would be broadband enabled. Prior to that Eircom had told me when I signed up that I'd be able to upgrade to Fibre when it became available and the website included my area in the Fibre rollout (originally for Dec 2013, got pushed back several times and eventually went 'green' in October but only for those connected to a cabinet nearby which I'm not).

Very frustrating. On the positive side Meteor 4G broadband is available in my area now so if my exchange isn't activated soon I'll be switching soon-as.

Very frustrating. On the positive side Meteor 4G broadband is available in my area now so if my exchange isn't activated soon I'll be switching soon-as.

Just be aware thats midband not broadband.

FYI this happened to me too. From about July or August 2014 to mid-October 2014, the Eircom line checker said that my number would be broadband enabled. Prior to that Eircom had told me when I signed up that I'd be able to upgrade to Fibre when it became available and the website included my area in the Fibre rollout (originally for Dec 2013, got pushed back several times and eventually went 'green' in October but only for those connected to a cabinet nearby which I'm not).

Yeah id be carefull and get a trial (test for 14 days with hand back policy) with 4G ping rates can degrade very heavily at peak times . I'm also a gamer so, 4G id only consider by putting a sim based router modem in the attic and drop cat5's from it . I even once mounted a 3 g dongle wrapped in plastic bag and tied it to chimey on roof - sent usb line under tiles and then had a little netbook share this connection out via its rj45 and then send that down to the house. Worked very well got 25 mb at a time when 8 mb was the max from eircom. Pricey as well watch the usage and billing agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

As we come to the end of the year has there be any progress on the plight of us poor customers with direct fed lines ? Has there been any progress with the comreg approval ?

Tweaky wrote: »
    As we come to the end of the year has there be any progress on the plight of us poor customers with direct fed lines ? Has there been any progress with the comreg approval ?
    None it will be mid to end of next year im guessing here , but they never seem to do anything with haste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

None it will be mid to end of next year im guessing here , but they never seem to do anything with haste.

I had a look at the whenandwhere map and not one of the direct fed exchange cabinets has changed from orange (planned). Have to say I'm surprised as I'd have expected much more progress to have been made on this by now.

Certainly frustrating for those still stuck on ADSL1.

MBSnr wrote: »
    I had a look at the whenandwhere map and not one of the direct fed exchange cabinets has changed from orange (planned). Have to say I'm surprised as I'd have expected much more progress to have been made on this by now.

Certainly frustrating for those still stuck on ADSL1.

For most towns on the ESB vodafone rollout list i would imagine they will beat Eircom to the punch for the direct fed users. One of which i am also. Will be glad to see the back of eircom as i had avoided them for almost 20 years . Sadly in Macroom Co cork there is no one else to go with , I imagined as well that they will deliver efiber before Vodafone - again not the case it will re-sell to any isp once its up and running . I presumed i would be quicker with Eircom . Got stuck to 18 month contract when they can only provide adsl +2 - they should release me at 12 months if the efiber is still not available . Im nmot holding my breath neither . I get faster speed off a hand held mobile phone as opposed to the "Next Gnereation " of internet they supply .

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

In my latest communication from eircom regarding continuing delays in our area regarding the availability of eFibre.....

".........The two cabinets are planned for commissioning at the latest next week. Once the cabinets have been commissioned there is a 4 week notification period. This is a ComReg regulation, the 4 week window is in place to allow all retail operators prepare both their networks, systems and marketing campaigns.

With that in mind operators will be in a position to accept orders Mid-January.

However ********* if your number is 061-398*** which is the number I have on file, then your premises is actually fed directly by the local exchange not the cabinets. The good news is eircom has developed a solution to deliver high speed broadband services to exchange fed customers, it is called evdsl and we are currently piloting the solution in four locations nationwide. This solution needs to be approved and we are working with the regulator and the telecoms industry to ensure that approval is given as soon as possible.

I unfortunately cannot give you a deployment or go live date as we have to wait for approval before we can factor in the exchange upgrades into our deployment plan

As soon as I have an update I will let you know."

That means comreg are still working with ISPs about the CLFMP modification, or the deal has been done but its not official yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 finbarrc

Something is up with direct fed exchange lines as my line is direct fed and I got the following letter from eircom this morning. I still cannot get eFibre even though the letter implies that I can.

Service Information Announcement regarding your Broadband Service

Dear Customer,

This Service Information Announcement is to inform you that the local broadband exchange in Cork is now enabled for fibre broadband.

Fibre broadband can provide up to 100Mb speeds depending how far your home is from the exchange.

If you would like more information on this Service Information Announcement, please visit eircom.ie or call 1800 369 369.

Thank you,
    eircom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

finbarrc wrote: »
    Something is up with direct fed exchange lines as my line is direct fed and I got the following letter from eircom this morning. I still cannot get eFibre even though the letter implies that I can.

Dear Customer,

This Service Information Announcement is to inform you that the local broadband exchange in Cork is now enabled for fibre broadband.

Fibre broadband can provide up to 100Mb speeds depending how far your home is from the exchange.

If you would like more information on this Service Information Announcement, please visit eircom.ie or call 1800 369 369.

Thank you,
    eircom

Have they maybe built a cabinet at the exchange site and it's now completed?

Cork City ? Which exchange would that be ? Telecom building in north side ?

Not according to the eircom wholesale website. My exchange is Douglas, Cork DGS1_E01 and it is still red on the eircom wholesale site.

Not according to the eircom wholesale website. My exchange is Douglas, Cork DGS1_E01 and it is still red on the eircom wholesale site.

Possibly an admin error ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Yes, i reckon that is what has happened. I noticed a new cabinet being installed at the entrance to Bromley Park, Scairt Hill. There may be more. This is not exchange launched VDSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

Dear Customer,

Thank you,
    eircom
    How does one know if they are direct fed and where the nearest exchange is?

On the map there is a green dot at the entrance to the area i live. There is some sort of cabinet there i have seen them work on it. Is that where the fibre is enabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

"the local broadband exchange in Cork"

??

There are quite a lot of exchanges in Cork City.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    "the local broadband exchange in Cork"

??

There are quite a lot of exchanges in Cork City.

Yes, there was so much wrong with that letter, it was beyond ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Possibly issued by a PR person who was in a rush to go to "the Airport" in "the City" which has no area code.

I regularly get confusing emails from companies based in Dublin who give no indication of what city they're in.

Call me on 123-4567

I assume they're in Cork and dial 123-4567 and get some random person.

One guy actually told a German colleague of mine to call in to 27 Xxxxxx St.. Which she did.
    He neglected to say where! So she wasted her time looking for them in the wrong city.

I then ring their number and explain what just happened and I get "but sure you'd know because country numbers are them short ones"

Needless to say, they didn't get our localisation contract.

The German colleague puts it down to "oh it's so cute ... Nothing in Ireland works correctly... No systems for anything. It's so different to Germany".

She thinks the parochialism and things like no numbers on houses in urban areas is absolutely hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I've noticed the orange dot (BSE1_E01) on the Ballinasloe exchange has changed to a blue dot (Fibre build commenced - completion work is in progress).
    Seems like a bit of movement.

Same for Roslevin, Athlone.

Advertisement