Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samknows.ie Broadband Speed Trial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Mine arrived on Monday or Tuesday. Only setting it up now. Now I just have to wait for the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Mine arrived on Monday or Tuesday. Only setting it up now. Now I just have to wait for the email.

Got my username and password now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

What model did you get, out of interest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Most likely the Tp Link WDR 3600.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I got the wr-741nd :(
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR741ND
    Other one looks much nicer, how did you manage to get those?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

phill106 wrote: »

That looks gank:mad: The luck of the draw I suppose.

jca wrote: »
    That looks gank:mad: The luck of the draw I suppose.

That's really unfortunate!

Depending on your info they give you the corresponding box.

If you say your house is gibibit wired and you're 100Mb or even 70Mb internet you'll get the WDR 3600.

Other than that you seem to get the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

If you say your house is gibibit wired and you're 100Mb or even 70Mb internet you'll get the WDR 3600.

I was just going to say the same thing. If you're running a 20Mb line, they have no reason to send the WDR3600, as the wr-741nd will handle that fine.

I'm guessing it's the Wan to Lan throughout affects its ability to maintain connections over a certain speed and as such, they use the WDR3600.

I was worried the WDR3600 wasn't fast enough to handle a 200Mb line, but couldn't find out wan to lan stats on it. However, I couldn't see Samknows sending out routers that couldn't handle the speed of the line.

I wonder if one were to upgrade their line while using the wr-741nd, would SamKnows supply the WDR3600 to aid in the extra speed for testing.

Got the email. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

• Advertisement

70mb, probably said i used wifi more...sigh.

70mb, probably said i used wifi more...sigh.

I didn't get asked at all about my setup apart from what package I had from Eircom, and the lady on the sponsored thread said everyone'll get gigabit port routers. Maybe ring and say you need gigabit Ethernet for your day to day business.

I replied back to rihanna on the sponsered thread, awaiting a response as it clearly states that gigabit ethernet routers would be provided, not 10/100.
    Think i got the bottom of the old bag, hopefully they can swap it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

It has been around a week, and I've received no correspondence or emails.

It has been around a week, and I've received no correspondence or emails.

That's pretty normal. Give it a few more working days.

My whitebox arrived today, it's the TP-Link WDR3600. Can't wait to put OpenWRT on it at the end of this.

My whitebox arrived today, it's the TP-Link WDR3600. Can't wait to put OpenWRT on it at the end of this.

Can you let me know how you get on with OpenWRT?

Maybe even a step by step if it works?

I've 2 of the WDR3600's, one I use for SamKnows and the other I got off a friend.

Thanks.

Can you let me know how you get on with OpenWRT?

Maybe even a step by step if it works?

I've 2 of the WDR3600's, one I use for SamKnows and the other I got off a friend.

Thanks.

In fairness to Samknows, I'll have to run it for at least a year before flashing it with DD-WRT/OpenWRT. But you said you got stuck on setting up an FTP server - I'd personally set up an Apache HTTP server to download the binary. We can help you once you have apache up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

In fairness to Samknows, I'll have to run it for at least a year before flashing it with DD-WRT/OpenWRT. But you said you got stuck on setting up an FTP server - I'd personally set up an Apache HTTP server to download the binary. We can help you once you have apache up and running.

Signed up to the European trial in July 2012. I was about to take the router offline and flash it so I emailed Samknows to check if all was ok and here is the reply

The next report for Europe project will be based on data collected during October 2014. Can we ask you to keep your device connected until November in your location? We understand it’s much longer than two years, but we would appreciate if you can continue to participate until then.

After that, you may keep the device for your own use.

Thank you for your continued support.

So just be aware that they want you to keep this online for at least 2 years

Yeah, my friend tried to return it but no one responded and I guess emigration waits for no one :P

I haven't a clue how to do that to be honest, ftp really confuses me.

Would you mind PMing me?

Signed up to the European trial in July 2012. I was about to take the router offline and flash it so I emailed Samknows to check if all was ok and here is the reply

The next report for Europe project will be based on data collected during October 2014. Can we ask you to keep your device connected until November in your location? We understand it’s much longer than two years, but we would appreciate if you can continue to participate until then.

After that, you may keep the device for your own use.

Thank you for your continued support.

So just be aware that they want you to keep this online for at least 2 years

Oh thanks for that.

I guess by the time November comes the WDR3600 will be probably very outdated.

• Advertisement

The nice people at samknows are sending me a newer modem :)

New one arrived, now have the wdr3600 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

There is openwrt already installed.

domeld wrote: »
    There is openwrt already installed.

I presume they don't want you using it as a home router with OpenWRT though, giving the passive WiFi packet counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

I presume they don't want you using it as a home router with OpenWRT though, giving the passive WiFi packet counter.

You are right!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just got my whitebox setup, interested to see what data it pulls.

Bump!

UPC 120Mb service with fan strapped modem is performing very well. Couple of low readings on DS speeds but thats probably because my own network is hidden from it and it couldnt tell when I happened to be letting steam rip.

orJoWj2l.png

0 failed load requests, swish.

I notice their UDP latency shows a consistent 8ms, that can only be as far as wherever they're peering through(INEX or similar). Last mile is all very well and good, but itd be interesting if transit was also tested.

Any other participants with results to share?

ED E wrote: »
    Bump!

UPC 120Mb service with fan strapped modem is performing very well. Couple of low readings on DS speeds but thats probably because my own network is hidden from it and it couldnt tell when I happened to be letting steam rip.

orJoWj2l.png

0 failed load requests, swish.

I notice their UDP latency shows a consistent 8ms, that can only be as far as wherever they're peering through(INEX or similar). Last mile is all very well and good, but itd be interesting if transit was also tested.

Any other participants with results to share?
    Can't post a full screenshot as I'm on my tablet but here's something interesting I noticed.

72.60Mbps
    Average
    8.91Mbps Min
    12am, Sun 5th Oct
    94.08Mbps Max
    3am, Sun 5th Oct

To be honest I wouldn't take much notice of that as a lot of peoples seems to be all over the place.

Interesting nonetheless though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Here is my upload and download since switching to Vodafone fibre. lots of low points in the downstream and shows the upstream capable of 18.4Mbps.

[IMG][/img]430A9E07BF9A432D94D3164128E54C23-0000328874-0003685552-01024L-83D9539F01C34F33AC8723AB33255ABA.png

[IMG][/img]F0F1F59C70224F0AA9DC4DF73E9F9E20-0000328874-0003685553-01024L-35FF1AF9F4504750B4C7D1DD86CBBA70.png

• Advertisement

Thought I'd update this, still testing away, VM still testing well. 900GB combined in December so a quiet enough month.

8QP8Bwu.png

Advertisement