Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paddy Power Transphobic Ad,

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Slang_Tang

Besides, every trans person on this thread has said it is insulting and upsetting. How much discussion does one need to clarify that trans people -- who are the victims here -- are upset by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

[QUOTE
    Originally Posted by ItsThatManAgain]
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1mx2UdVCo[/QUOTE]

Are 'Paddy Power' then suggesting that 'Clearcast' are to blame? sounds like it,
    as........clearcast are......
    Quote:
    Our mission, making the complex simple

Clearcast was founded in 2008 by Britain’s eight largest commercial broadcasters to simplify the process of getting advertising to air. Incorporating the bacc, we are building on over fifty years of experience of being a partner in the creative process for TV advertising.

Quote:
    The services that we provide are based on our core strengths:

Compliance. We have 50 years expertise??? in ensuring that television advertising complies with BCAP codes.
    Advertising processes. We are uniquely positioned to streamline the advertising copy chain to the benefit of everyone that advertises on TV and wider audiovisual media.
    Metadata. We hold a range of metadata related to commercials ranging from artists and music featured to advertising restrictions.
    We’re developing rapidly and happy to discuss potential business partnerships that match our areas of expertise.
    then........

BCAP
    Quote:
    BCAP TV Code
    The BCAP Television Advertising Code - section 6 - harm and offence
    6.1 Offence
    Advertisements must not cause serious or widespread offence against generally accepted moral, social or cultural standards, or offend against public feeling
    Notes:
    (1) Although no list can be exhaustive, and values evolve over time, society has shared standards in areas such as:
    (a) the portrayal of death, injury, violence (particularly sexual violence), cruelty or misfortune
    (b) respect for the interests and dignity of minorities
    (c) respect for spiritual beliefs, rites, sacred images etc
    (d) sex and nudity, and the use of offensive language. (For further information see the ITC research reports Nudity in Television Advertising and the ASA/ITC report Delete Expletives. The latter reports on attitudes to swearing and offensive language.)
    (2) The ASA does not judge cases simply, or even primarily, on the number of complaints received. It makes judgements about the likelihood of widespread offence as well as taking into account the possibility of deep, usually unintentional, offence to sections of the audience which have particular vulnerabilities.
    (3) Particular circumstances can result in otherwise unobjectionable material causing offence. For example, a joke may cease to be acceptable if it seems to refer to a recent tragedy or if it appears close to a programme about a serious, related issue. On the other hand, if material might be on the edge of acceptability for a general audience but would be perfectly acceptable to, for example, young adults, careful scheduling in ‘youth’ programmes may be sufficient to avoid causing offence.
    (4) Whilst commercials for media products such as CDs and videos must not mislead about their content, any extracts from the products should not cause offence.
    BCAP TV Code indexPreviousNext

I wonder why Paddy Power hasn't used the ASA in their pitiful attempts at justification mmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hey guys,

As there has been an accusation of bullying by mods on thread, we've had a chat amongst ourselves and decided that locking this thread temporarily until some of c-mods check it out to see if that is or is not the case.

An accusation of bullying is obviously something we take seriously.

This thread will be unlocked pending that outcome.

If anyone has a problem PM one of us mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Reopening this

Off topic issues to do with moderation will not be discussed as per the forum charter. If there is any discussion on moderation it will be deleted immediately.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

awesome,

So ESPN... have axed the ad,
    Sky are continuing to run it.... no surprises there,
    but Channel 4 of 'my transexual summer' kudos have insisted on running it ..go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

apache wrote: »
    this is the first time i saw that ad!
    i am not offended by the piss taken out of me by degoratory comments towards me as a lesbian or a woman. i understand though i do have a acquired sense of humour! sure even lesbians here find the word lesbian offensive!

i don't post here anymore because everything is taken offence at and you dare not challenge a trans person or holy god will strike you down :rolleyes:

however even i found the ad a bit much towards trans people. but in saying that if it was a piss take about lesbians i would laugh. but thats me. the problem here is trans people take absolute offence at any little comment and when an add like this crops up which in my opinion is a bit out of order its a case of sighing and "here they go again" which really does yourself no favours. a classic example would be the no nonsense insurance ads. they are hilarious yet still offence was taken.

you should choose your wars wisely. battles are fought. wars are won.

I feel the same way. I don't get offended by gay jokes and I've seen ads about gay people that were more tasteless than this, yet they didn't offend me whereas this does, although I'm not trans. As many people have already said, the trans community in general seem to experience more discrimination than LGB people do and the rate of violence towards trans people is higher, ads like this just add fuel to the fire of people who are already transphobic or else put other people in the mind frame that it's okay to laugh at trans people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Shakti wrote: »
    6a011570c131b2970c014e88ba944d970d-300withemediablog

I'm starting to think Paddy Power just doesn't like women unless they're playing bingo or ^^

hahahaha, love it

Apart from Paddy Power and transphobic adverts .........
    I'm fairly sure that Banks don't discriminate on the basis of gender when restructuring your mortgage but apparently they do if you bet online.

http://www.herald.ie/news/mortgage-deals-turned-down-for-online-gamblers-2866765.html
    A top mortgage advisory firm has claimed that online betting accounts with the likes of Paddy Power or Betfair are being used as criteria to refuse struggling homeowners a restructuring in their mortgages. And in some cases, lenders are using gambling habits as a reason for refusing a mortgage outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I emailed them a couple of days ago to complain and just got a reply. General jist of the email was that it was transphobic, misogynist and had the potential to incite violence against transpeople.
    Hi Deirdre and thanks for taking the time to e-mail Paddy Power.

We are fully committed to our current UK television advertising campaign “We Hear You” which includes the 30 second commercial “Lady’s Day”.

“Lady’s Day” was preapproved by British television advertising watchdog Clearcast who took the view that the humour, while not to everyone’s taste, fell short of causing offence.

Paddy Power welcomes feedback and would like to thank all those who took the time to share their views. We would like to apologise to those who took offence.

Yours truly, Paddy Power

Aw, look. They apologised. Everything's ok now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I know I should know better than to get involved here, but how is the ad inciting violence against transpeople?

in my own opinion, either you can laugh at everyone or no one. The ad is clearly intentionally in bad taste. It doesn't seem to me to be any more of an attack on transpeople than other ads and tv shows have attacks on gays/lesbians/americans/italians/fat people/poor people/women/men/black people/white people/old people/middle class/students/religious people etc. How shall we decided who is granted an amnesty?

Also, if the answer is "everyone", nuts to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

diddlybit wrote: »
    Aw, look. They apologised. Everything's ok now. :mad:
    They did? I see the word in there all right but I don't actually see an apology.
    I know I should know better than to get involved here, but how is the ad inciting violence against transpeople?
    Potential to, I believe was the phrase, I can see the point, considering the behaviours and attitudes it illustrates and advocates.
    in my own opinion, either you can laugh at everyone or no one. The ad is clearly intentionally in bad taste. It doesn't seem to me to be any more of an attack on transpeople than other ads and tv shows have attacks on gays/lesbians/americans/italians/fat people/poor people/women/men/black people/white people/old people/middle class/students/religious people etc. How shall we decided who is granted an amnesty?
    I have very strong opinions on this, I love to take the piss out of people, and I have no issue with jokes at my expense, from my perspective everyone's fair game, but you don't mock innate characteristics or deeply held beliefs, I don't think that's too hard to grasp.

I have very strong opinions on this, I love to take the piss out of people, and I have no issue with jokes at my expense, from my perspective everyone's fair game, but you don't mock innate characteristics or deeply held beliefs, I don't think that's too hard to grasp.

For who? who's ideas? what is an innate characteristic? who defines that?

Very hard to grasp, but thank you for the tone.

As wonderfulname said the potential to incite violence. Around twenty seconds in, there is a shot of a woman leaving the men's bathrooms. If we take it that she is transgender, I think it's a very dangerous idea to put into the heads of the uninformed that transwomen should use male restrooms. That notion got a woman so badly last year in a MacDonalds that she had a seizure. And she's certainly not the only transwoman that has experienced abuse when perceived using the bathroom that matches her gender.
    They did? I see the word in there all right but I don't actually see an apology.

Yup. Half-assed apology if I ever saw one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Also, if the answer is "everyone", nuts to that.

+100000

Why should transgendered people be immune from ads/tv shows/clips etc. that make jokes about them? Either ads/tv shows/books etc. should be banned from using humour against all types of people, or none at all.

I don't think the ad was in good taste and let's face it, it wasn't particularly funny or clever. But it's not fair to ban any sort of jokes about transgenders but not those against gays/lesbians/fat people/skinny people/white people/black people etc.

So you don't believe the piss should be taken out of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders, gingers, white people, black people, asians, africans, tall people. short people, bald people, Christians, Muslims, Jews etc. etc, ?

They are all categories of people with innate characteristics or deeply held beliefs.

I would hate to live in a world without being able to take the piss out of people :pac: including myself!

Why should transgendered people be immune from ads/tv shows/clips etc. that make jokes about them? Either ads/tv shows/books etc. should be banned from using humour against all types of people, or none at all.

There is a spectrum of humour and somewhere along that spectrum is the line where it turns from humour into offensiveness. I'm sure the majority of the groups that you mentioned have no problem laughing at themselves and the sterotypes that each group has. But there is a line.

There was no self-deprecatory humourous tone to the Paddy Power's ad. The bottom line was that it inferred that transwomen aren't real women. That's not funny in any universe.

So you don't believe the piss should be taken out of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders, gingers, white people, black people, asians, africans, tall people. short people, bald people, Christians, Muslims, Jews etc. etc, ?

They are all categories of people with innate characteristics or deeply held beliefs.
    But I didn't say that did I? You should try actually reading what I posted instead of just lambasting an opinion we both disagree with. Take the piss out of anyone and everyone, as I've already said, just not for things they can't control, it's not at all a big oul PC mad position, it's just respectful.

bodice ripper - And what tone did you attribute to my post?

But I didn't say that did I? You should try actually reading what I posted instead of just lambasting an opinion we both disagree with.

Or how about you try actually reading what I wrote and see that I'm not lambasting an opinion you disagree with; I was simply asking you a question which you have sort of answered so thank you for that.
    Take the piss out of anyone and everyone, as I've already said, just not for things they can't control, it's not at all a big oul PC mad position, it's just respectful.

bodice ripper - And what tone did you attribute to my post?

Although maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post.

Gays, lesbians and bisexuals can't control their sexuality
    Tall and short people can't control their height
    Ginger people can't control their hair colour (they can dye it, but they were still born with ginger hair)
    Bald people can't control their baldness, short of getting a hair transplant or whatever
    Whites, blacks, asians etc. can't control what race they are

You see what I mean? All of these categories of people are made fun of for things they can't control. I just want to know why transgendered people are different and shouldn't be made fun of.

diddlybit wrote: »
    There was no self-deprecatory humourous tone to the Paddy Power's ad. The bottom line was that it inferred that transwomen aren't real women. That's not funny in any universe.

there is no "spectrum" without an initial viewpoint. There are people who think drawing mohammed isn't funny in any universe. There are people who think you should never say that scientology is a farce.

@wonderfulname: including "I don't think that's too hard to grasp" is implying that had I any sense, I should come round to you way of thinking. that isn't the issue, I just don't agree with your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

I don't think I'll be around here for a short while.

Transgenderism is a medical condition and, like a lot of medical conditions, it has a lot of suffering associated with it. Much, though not all, of that suffering is due to social factors, and that side of the suffering is greatly magnified by things like this ad.

Right now, I'm suffering, and I'm suffering badly. And I need to take a break from those who claim the right to laugh at my sufferings.

Right now, I'm suffering, and I'm suffering badly. And I need to take a break from those who claim the right to laugh at my suffering.

:( And yet, there's a host of people out there ready to tell you that you're over-sensitive or lacking a sense of humour. It's difficult to fathom how this ad could still be defended when it makes people feel like this.

Ps. The blonde really suits you, couldn't post that on the other thread without posting a pic.

• Advertisement

All of these categories of people are made fun of for things they can't control. I just want to know why transgendered people are different and shouldn't be made fun of.
    Sorry, maybe it was my post that wasn't clear, that's my personal way about things, I wouldn't take the mick out of any of the above for the category they slide into, with the exception of close friends, in my opinion that's just respectful and mannerly, so from my perspective I don't see the all or nothing argument.
    @wonderfulname: including "I don't think that's too hard to grasp" is implying that had I any sense, I should come round to you way of thinking. that isn't the issue, I just don't agree with your view.
    Sorry, general remark, I find myself saying that a lot and I find a lot of the time people look at me like an alien for it, wasn't really aimed at anyone or anything, my bad.

Sorry, general remark, I find myself saying that a lot and I find a lot of the time people look at me like an alien for it, wasn't really aimed at anyone or anything, my bad.

No problem. tbf, I am known for my fondness for wording analysis, so my bad too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

I'll just drop in for a bit of educating work.

The most suffering part of transgenderism isn't the social or the medical - it is the psychological. I have to live my entire fscking life in a body that is the ultimate betrayal of who I am. This ad - with it's reminders of that fact through it's misgendering of me and it's pointing out that I'm not like other women - greatly magnifies that suffering.

Yes, you have the right to laugh at transgender people. Just as you have the right to laugh at the crippled, the blind, the broken. So have a damn good belly laugh. And don't be surprised when I, and others, look at you and wonder where your fscking humanity is.

I'll just drop in for a bit of educating work.

The most suffering part of transgenderism isn't the social or the medical - it is the psychological. I have to live my entire fscking life in a body that is the ultimate betrayal of who I am. This ad - with it's reminders of that fact through it's misgendering of me and it's pointing out that I'm not like other women - greatly magnifies that suffering.

Yes, you have the right to laugh at transgender people. Just as you have the right to laugh at the crippled, the blind, the broken. So have a damn good belly laugh. And don't be surprised when I, and others, look at you and wonder where your fscking humanity is.

Can I ask you a question? Is somebody who laughs at the likes of jokes on Family Guy and South Park, on many stand-up comedians shows, on offensive advertisements on tv, radio, on posters etc........have they no "fúcking humanity"?

Again I am stating for the record that I didn't find this ad funny or clever and I can see how it is offensive. However, I do disagree with you if you are labelling anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint as having no humanity.

Right, I'm out. Disappointment is a pretty weak word for how I feel about this thread but it's in the right area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I love ALL of you

• Registered Users Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It doesn't directly

It does certainly bring out hatred and vile bigotry in spades. And that is just after hours

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It does certainly bring out hatred and vile bigotry in spades. And that is just after hours

I don't check AH often and I'm glad I haven't recently. Those comments are disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

now scuze me while I go cry into my pillow.

• Advertisement

It doesn't directly

I understand that. I personally think it is a bit of a stretch for that particular ad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement