Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paparazzi Extras Needed

• 06-01-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm filming a scene for a short film next Thurs 12th and I'm on the hunt for some paparazzi photographers to be included in the scene. The scene involves a pop star walking out of a building and getting swamped by paparazzi and interviewers as he makes his way to a waiting car. The scene won't take more then 30mins to shoot and will be shot in the city centre in the afternoon. The film will be aired on RTE later in the year, and will feature in a number of high profile film festivals nationally.

Anyone free and interested let me know by either a PM or email here;
    theredlinecast@gmail.com

cheers,

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you should mention if there's any remuneration for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

I would be up for this.I sent you an email there regards joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

you should mention if there's any remuneration for the job.

Well it's a short film and he didn't say there would be renumeration, so you can safely assume no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Zillah wrote: »
    Well it's a short film and he didn't say there would be renumeration, so you can safely assume no.

it would seem that it may be a short film with RTE funding however, it's only fair to ask i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Filming in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Eirebear wrote: »
    it would seem that it may be a short film with RTE funding however, it's only fair to ask i reckon.

fair point, but don't be fooled into thinking this means there's any massive budget. often times it might just cover equipment hire and editing. it all depends on what scheme it was funded under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

actually no one said there was rte funding, said it would be aired on RTE. that doesnt mean there is funding at all

stcstc wrote: »
    actually no one said there was rte funding, said it would be aired on RTE. that doesnt mean there is funding at all

true!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Spiderdan ... do you have any experience of watching paps work ? its usually not huddling around a celeb.

unfortunately I'm back to work on Wednesday (11th) but might be in a position to assist in terms of loaning some equipment for usage and offer advice on the scene (if you are open to getting a bit of advice ... nothing worse when watching a film/TV series/documentary when you see someone using a long lens within a few feet of the person...or using a wideangle to photograph someone who is 10-15feet away)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

But it's a film, a lot of it is cheated. A long lens looks the part quite often even if it's not how it's used in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

artyeva wrote: »
    fair point, but don't be fooled into thinking this means there's any massive budget. often times it might just cover equipment hire and editing. it all depends on what scheme it was funded under.

Of course, i wasnt suggesting anything else other than it's fair to ask.
    stcstc wrote: »
    And if RTE have got the rights to airing it prior to the film even being shot, it would suggest that they have a hand in it somehwere no?

Again, i'm not suggesting that they have the money to pay for it - if they did they wouldnt be going through boards looking for extras. Just commenting that there is a fair chance that there is some sort of "budget" involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Eirebear wrote: »
    Of course, i wasnt suggesting anything else other than it's fair to ask.

And if RTE have got the rights to airing it prior to the film even being shot, it would suggest that they have a hand in it somehwere no?

Again, i'm not suggesting that they have the money to pay for it - if they did they wouldnt be going through boards looking for extras. Just commenting that there is a fair chance that there is some sort of "budget" involved.
    Not necessarily. Plenty of small productions are made that end up being shown on RTE but they don't have anything to do with funding or production.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

doesnt say RTE has the right either

says being aired on RTE (generally this means the production company want it to happen, not RTE)

and its to be shown around a bunch of film festivals

the idea behind shorts generally is a means to actually get funding for a real project on the back of it. ie if it does well someone will then pay for a feature or something from the same production company

generally shorts are done on the lowest budgets, by keen people wanting to do something for art or as a means to get money to do a full job. and everything is done on scrimp and save budgets. I have worked on them

most of the actors dont get paid never mind extras or crew!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

What time is it happening? During daylight or after business hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the best advice I got regarding film was -

just make sure you don't lose money

could apply this to stills too :-)

i've worked on short films, 'short shorts' and worked with documentary film makers who've had longer pieces commissioned by and aired on RTE. in all cases that i've had experience with, *if* there was a budget involved, it might cover the hire of equipment/editing time and certainly wouldn't cover living the expenses of the director/producer during the production, so to me the idea of paying extras who might be in a shot for a few seconds is absolutely laughable. i didn't mean to drag the OP's thread all off topic though, sorry OP!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

spiderdan wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm filming a scene for a short film next Thurs 12th and I'm on the hunt for some paparazzi photographers to be included in the scene. The scene involves a pop star walking out of a building and getting swamped by paparazzi and interviewers as he makes his way to a waiting car. The scene won't take more then 30mins to shoot and will be shot in the city centre in the afternoon. The film will be aired on RTE later in the year, and will feature in a number of high profile film festivals nationally.

Anyone free and interested let me know by either a PM or email here;
    theredlinecast@gmail.com

cheers,

Hi there spiderdan, interested in this but depends on time etc but just wondering do you have a rough time in the afternoon it will be taking place and rough location in city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

i've worked on short films, 'short shorts' and worked with documentary film makers who've had longer pieces commissioned by and aired on RTE. in all cases that i've had experience with, *if* there was a budget involved, it might cover the hire of equipment/editing time and certainly wouldn't cover living the expenses of the director/producer during the production, so to me the idea of paying extras who might be in a shot for a few seconds is absolutely laughable. i didn't mean to drag the OP's thread all off topic though, sorry OP!! :o

I've been in some as well but any ads I've seen always state that - even if it does seem obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm a narcissist, sign me up*.

*Dependent on shooting times

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Hi there,

Thanks for all the reply's. I will have the exact date and location for anyone who can make it first thing tomorrow morning. The location will be no more then a 5min walk form Grafton St area and will be in daylight between 1-3. We're finalisng the schedule today. As for our budget; yes we are a small independent production and believe me I would love to be able to pay people but nearly all the crew are working for nothing on this, the RTE connection means nothing as far as getting any funding off them- its an independently funded film.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, we have had to move the scene to Friday at 1pm. Anyone still interested, the location is on Merrion Sq. email: theredlinecast@gmail.com for contact number and address. I will not be able to respond to PM's as we will be filming.

Thanks Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

but then why would anyone turn up to do it????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

sheesh wrote: »

Because you can put it in your CV, because you make contacts, because you might just get 'spotted', and sometimes because you're a nice person and it's fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Phil Taz

This was good fun, got to meet 2 fellow boardie's and had a great laugh, good experience!!

what sineadw said - and also the gosh-darned-feel-good factor of being part of a creative collaborative process, where the sum of the participants is greater than the whole. or the whole is greater than the sum of the participants? i can never get that right. it's addictive :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

That was a most enjoyable experience and great to meet some more boardsies. It was also very interesting to be part of something like that, especially as I've never done it before - we even got speaking parts - well shouting parts :D
    Took us a while to learn our lines..........

Now to go through my 200 + photos and process one or two.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Few more over on Pix.ie - just click through any shot below.

4D96BE277ACA49BDA20400E250A0F522-0000320339-0002703879-00500L-62BD9BDB32EA4175B329E3ED1569C1B0.jpg B0B12849B1D24F6DA053220245DAE385-0000320339-0002703878-00500L-2221DC57BD82478D8A7BC5E181A9D441.jpg 4FCE72D85C1049C495F4B9F2D863F8D3-0000320339-0002703876-00500L-86C1383552034FBF8AF7B87FC0CB8700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Very interesting afternoon getting to see what goes into creating films like this.

Also always good to meetup with other Boardsie's

Here's some of my shots from the day, more on Flickr

6694500513_87a5d8c68d.jpg

6694500075_c30d8b82d7.jpg

6694499629_c6c41c545e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

Why would you even post this :rolleyes: ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

As an extra I have come across a lot of Cowboy extras lately.

What I have found is that there seems to be no shortage of people who lose the run of themselves and offer themselves as "Extras"

I have seen the results up on youtube and numerous shorts and just wonder is the problem directors that wont pay for a proper actor or crappy extras fooling clients who don't know any better and are happy to post and use badly acted shorts ?

These so called "Actors" are undermining the professionalism and art of acting it annoys me when I see bad results online and every tom dick and harry pro-porting to be an expert.

While the term Actor is not copyrighted and can be used by anyone it just seems lately that the work of actors is being devalued because
    "anyone can do the job" as far as the client is concerned.

Obviously the results that they are getting do not compare to the results of a proper Professional but more and more clients seem to care less and less and just want to churn out shorts.

So my question is has anyone else found their extras work affected by "Cowboys" and how have you got around these problems. Is it more of an issue for shorts or have other areas like feature films been affected?

Advertisement